Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

Bristol Development is releasing  some more info about their residential project at 1330-1336 DickersonPike, the one-time home of Charlie Bob's Restaurant.  There will be two buildings with 205 units altogether.  Smith Gee will be in charge of design.  Barge Design Solutions is assisting with land planning.  No contractor announced yet. No rendering at this time, either. They will go before MetroPlanning Commission Jan. 10th to request rezoning of the 4.5 acre lot.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21037482/details-emerge-for-dickerson-pike-project

Screen Shot 2018-12-19 at 9.23.17 AM.png

This screen shot from Smeagolsfree's excellent development map shows the Bristol sight highlighted in teal at the center of the frame:

Screen Shot 2018-12-19 at 9.24.20 AM.png

• Like 4

@bwithers1 I have a question about another church in your district. Do you have any updates on the former Hobson Chapel church at Greenwood and Chapel?  They had an excavator on site a few weeks ago clearing brush and taking down fences, and it appears a new temporary electric pole has been erected but not connected. I’ve emailed the owner multiple times just asking for an update or to notify him of vandalism, but he hasn’t responded to anything since 2016.  I know his group is wrapping up a project in Germantown and they have quite a few things happening in Gallatin. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, bwithers1 said:

Demolition of this structure would require a public hearing with a structural engineering assessment similar to the demolition request for 628 Shelby that is on today's Metro Historic Zoning Commission (MHZC) agenda https://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/MHZC/docs/2018 Meetings/12-19-18/SR 628 Shelby 3.pdf.  I called over to Historic and there is no such application on file for 1700 Fatherland.  The architect is in contact with the MHZC staff and neither a total nor a partial demolition has been requested.  I appreciate your keeping an eye on this one; the renovation/rehab work appears to be on target with the design guidelines and has not yet reached the point at which staff-level approvals for permits have been required.  But please keep me posted.

It concerns me when the crew on site thinks their marching orders are to demo the entire structure.     I hope the parties get their communications straightened out asap!     Thanks for checking on it, Brett.    

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, CenterHill said:

It concerns me when the crew on site thinks their marching orders are to demo the entire structure.     I hope the parties get their communications straightened out asap!     Thanks for checking on it, Brett.    

Thanks @bwithers1. I asked the gentlemen a few times to make sure I wasn't understanding wrong. He was beginning interior demo, but he seemed to be operating under the premise that the entire structure is coming down. I pointed to the rear addition of the structure, the part that appears much less historically significant, and said, 'you mean the back is being torn down'? He said yes AND the front original church structure also. So I didn't know what to make of it. 

• Thanks 1

Yes... that's a lot of parking. But at least it's on the inside of the buildings, which (if I'm reading the site plan correctly) go all the way to the street (yay!). And is the propery already paved over? Yes... lot of parking, but that's what Nashville seems to like. "Urban" living on the fringes of downtown, which in its own right, demands use of a private vehicle. Although, I was under the impression that Dickerson Pike had one of the more reliable bus routes. I just don't know much about that area of the city. However, I know one of the best skyline photo shots available is from Fern Avenue there. 

5 hours ago, FatherLand said:

Thanks @bwithers1. I asked the gentlemen a few times to make sure I wasn't understanding wrong. He was beginning interior demo, but he seemed to be operating under the premise that the entire structure is coming down. I pointed to the rear addition of the structure, the part that appears much less historically significant, and said, 'you mean the back is being torn down'? He said yes AND the front original church structure also. So I didn't know what to make of it. 

There is interior demo going on, which does not require MHZC review.  But staff's (and my) understanding is that the plan is to retain as much of the original interior of the sanctuary building as possible.  My understanding is also that the rear, midCentury portion was gutted already which is not necessarily a loss architecturally and is actually helpful to the renovation work. But no, there are no applications to demolish either the historic sanctuary structure or the addition. There had been the renovation/rehab permit from back in 2015, but there have not been any new permits issued just yet since the property transfer happened on November 30th or so of this year. 

Maintenance work does not require a permit.  It may be the case that the crews are working on cleaning some stuff out so that they can determine the scope of the work for the permits.  Or a permit application could be on file but not yet issued.  Codes sometimes allows some work to commence while paperwork is underway since it can take so long to get the permit issued.  I can look into if there are more questions after the holidays.

I can see how a worker would fear that the building is coming down given the poor condition that it is in.  I would say that this building is not out of the woods just yet.  But this is another case in which finding the right buyer with the financial wherewithal to take on a sensitive reuse of this building has saved it probably just in time.  The same is true for 819 Russell. 

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, WebberThomas4 said:

@bwithers1 I have a question about another church in your district. Do you have any updates on the former Hobson Chapel church at Greenwood and Chapel?  They had an excavator on site a few weeks ago clearing brush and taking down fences, and it appears a new temporary electric pole has been erected but not connected. I’ve emailed the owner multiple times just asking for an update or to notify him of vandalism, but he hasn’t responded to anything since 2016.  I know his group is wrapping up a project in Germantown and they have quite a few things happening in Gallatin. 

@bwithers1 I'd love to know what is going on with that site as well. I'd heard it was for sale again, but have also noticed the recent work. My guess was that Clay is doing some work to make it easier to sell.

3 hours ago, AronG said:

I heard their current idea is creative office space.

I have not heard any specific updates.  Creative office space is in line with what the original plan was when the Specific Plan was approved several years ago.  The sanctuary buildings were to be retrofitted for office spaces with some shared amenities, a restaurant, some retail spaces and a small number of houses on the perimeter.  The manse or parsonage house was to be renovated back to serving as a house.  I am not certain of the relative saturation of the East Nashville market for shared/creative office space today.  A lot has come online in the last few years since the SP was approved. But perhaps someone in the commercial real estate world could enlighten us more on that point.

• Like 3

An unidentified group of investors with a history of hotel development has purchased the Gerst Haus property at 301 Woodland St. that backs up agains I-24 in the East Bank area.  There are currently zoning restrictions on the property that would need to be changed in order to accommodate a hotel. 

More behind the NBJ paywall here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/12/20/former-gerst-haus-property-lands-new-owners.html

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, markhollin said:

An unidentified group of investors with a history of hotel development has purchased the Gerst Haus property at 301 Woodland St. that backs up agains I-24 in the East Bank area.  There are currently zoning restrictions on the property that would need to be changed in order to accommodate a hotel. 

More behind the NBJ paywall here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/12/20/former-gerst-haus-property-lands-new-owners.html

So I know this has been discussed with the LaQuinta Hotel project. But why exactly are their height restrictions on parcels that abut a highway?? Are we worried about the views from east looking at Nissan?