Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

Yeast Nashville won't have anything like that, either.  But their kolaches are terrific. 

Almond Tree Bakery on Porter Road used to have sweet baked goods, but more in the line of petit fours and things like that.  But check out Khan's Desserts, which took that space in Porter East.

We could use a good Chicago-style Polish, Ukrainian or German bakery for those kinds of things.  Maybe someone will jump in to fill that void for bear claws, et al, before Dunkin' Donuts sets their sites on E Nash and "gobbles up" that market share.  The original East Nashville Krispy Kreme location at Gallatin and Greenwood is now a meat processing plant.

Edited by bwithers1

.  The original East Nashville Krispy Kreme location at Gallatin and Greenwood is now a meat processing plant.

It still breaks my heart that this is no longer there.

My mom used to take me and set me up at the huge counter before school to watch the doughnuts being made.

That place would be a goldmine if it were still there today...

A new "pop-up" restaurant spot is opening at the crazy old Millers' Clinic building at Eastland and Gallatin  http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/morning_call/2014/04/east-nashville-getting-venue-for-pop-up.html.  This venue will occupy the space that once housed Steve's Restaurant, which was short-lived.  Although I think that the eponymous Steve is the owner of this building. 

This building is almost as cursed at 5th and Main.  But at least the Thai restaurant and the hair salon have survived long-term.  The Smoker's Abbey place will likely also do well.  But for the time being, short-term leases seem to be the way to go with emerging businesses in East Nashville.   Those short-term leases allow small businesses a "try-out" period without committing to five years.  That "incubator" model is a key part of the success of small businesses in East Nashville (and probably other parts of town) lately.

I really hate that building.

I have to agree. It looks like a fake italian villa....and the front of the building could use some landscaping, instead of the large, non used, concrete pad out there now.

Not sure what could possible help this building. Think it would be better used as small offices.

^^^ However, East Nashville would be the perfect place for some Craftsman, Queen Anne and Tudor houses. It would fit right into the public housing model of "no more high-rise, less density", but would spare us the track home look of the Henry Hale and McFerrin developments. They could even build around all the existing trees that are there to help with the "lived in" feel.

Now do i have any faith that any government body could tastefully do that.........nope.

In the category of really, really ancient news:

This is actually not new but is the resumption of the Cayce Place redevelopment plan that has been in the works for several years.  There was a leadership change and some budgetary constraints, but this is the continuation of a large-scale, comprehensive proposal that has been going on for about two years now.  Tons of input has already taken place from the East Nashville community and from the Cayce residents specifically.  And a separate but cooperating group called Caycle Place has been working to ensure Edgefield and larger East Nashville community participation for a top-to-bottom overhall to include a purpose-built community centered around a proposal for a new middle school.

Let's hope that the federal funds come through.  But this will not be a Hope VI program.  MDHA committed to replace each unit of housing (unlike the Hope VI version, which reduces the total number of units).  Hunter Gee of Smith Gee Studios (and a Planning Commissioner) is the lead architect.  I would not expect anything suburban, but probably not anything remotely Tudor or Victorian, either. 

The latest version of the proposal was that there were three plans up for consideration.  One working only on the existing Cayce site.  One working with some of the neighboring property owners (including the non-Cayce CWA Apartments on Shelby).  And a third, larger-scale program that would include everything from I-24 to Shelby Ave and that would include moving Public Works and the Sheriff's Department and having a mixed-use corridor along South Fifth Street that included quite a bit of commercial/retail.  Also a park-like boulevard along Sylvan Street leading to Kirkpatrick school and park.

Have no fear here, guys.

One of the ironies in this circumstance is that the Cayce "barracks" are old enough to qualify for historic preservation.  I'm not advocating that particular historic preservation, by the way.

Edited by bwithers1

If people wanted to live in an isolated building with nothing around it to spoil the "view," then what's the point of living in an urban neighborhood?  Isn't being in close proximity to other amenities kinda the whole point? 

Edited by BnaBreaker

Anticipating the building next to us at 5&Main to start at anytime now. Some residents are upset they will lose their view, but they wont lose much.

I live in 5&M as well (and probably have met UA...whoever you are. :-)  ). Can we do anything about the reported lack of retail in the new construction next door? I feel that would be a huge boon to the neighborhood and prevent any poor saps from having to live on the ground level in such an area.

I live in 5&M as well (and probably have met UA...whoever you are. :-)  ). Can we do anything about the reported lack of retail in the new construction next door? I feel that would be a huge boon to the neighborhood and prevent any poor saps from having to live on the ground level in such an area.

oh come on, im sure those poor saps would love seeing the homeless who camp out in front of the bottom level already at 5&M

• Like 1

I think that is what all of the overlays are about. In this case they are not required to put retail in there. I would bet that Brett can answer fully. I am not familiar enough with how Metro works, but know that if these developers have not opted to put retail in at this point, nothing can be done other than to talk to the developers directly. I think they are still trying to get financing, and the lot has not officially changed hands yet.

There is absolutely nothing anywhere (Overlay or otherwise) that requires ground-level retail.  The MDHA design guidelines in that particular redevelopment district may allow and encourage ground-level retail, but they do not require it. 

I support ground-level retail generally, but I think that urbanophiles in Nashville, of which I am one, kind of fetishize that sometimes.  It doesn't have to cover every square foot of street frontage literally. 

Chicago has ground-level retail along a lot of the major streets, but those neighborhoods also have about 6 times the population density that even Nashville's most dense areas have.  (This is just a guess.  UT grad can check that for me.)  And even then ground-level retail can be a hit-or-miss thing in Chicago.  Armitage Avenue in Lincoln Park used to have lots of mom-and-pop stores and boutiques.  But eventually the neighborhood gets too pricey and all of those independent stores become Baby Gap and stuff like that.  So some of those streets became full of the same stuff found in suburban malls and strip malls, just with a better arrangement and public transportation.  You would be surprised how much either (1) skyrocketing rents or (2) economic decline can cause endless ground-level retail to become an eyesore with nothing but blank or boarded up windows that suck the life out of your streets.

You absolutely must have the population in place with sufficient disposable income to support all of that ground-level retail.  Clearly the Main Street area isn't there yet.  It is more important to get that population in place first than it is to build street-level retail and hope that people magically appear to support it.  Because so far that definitely has not worked out for 5&M. 

• Like 2

Chicago has ground-level retail along a lot of the major streets, but those neighborhoods also have about 6 times the population density that even Nashville's most dense areas have.  (This is just a guess.  UT grad can check that for me.)  

Give me a few intersections or corridors.