Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

Just in case you guys have not connected the dots, this is the same developer that is planning the 949 Main st project and the no dogs building in Salemtown.

Yes.  Clay Haynes.  Great guy.  I'm thrilled that he is also working on the No Dogs building!

I will keep you guys posted on Hobson.  Clay has been great at reaching out to our neighbors individually to learn what they would like to see in that space rather than coming up with a plan first and fighting the neighbors second.  I will assist Clay with contacting neighbors in Eastwood adjacent to this parcel.

William speaks very highly of him as well. At least we have another preservationist working to keep the older buildings and build off the bones that are in place.

I am also thrilled that the Holladay Properties group is going to rehab the Geist house and the Sheds on Charlotte. The older DOT building on that site was too far gone to save.

A few updates on East Nashville items that were touched upon during the mini-meet tour that I gave in March:

-Eastwood's Conservation Zoning Overlay expansion passed the Council on third reading on Tuesday, April 15th, was signed by Mayor Dean on Wednesday, April 16th, and is effective as of Friday, April18th.  There is celebration in the streets.

-You all have already heard about the purchase of the Hobson Church site in Eastwood.  What a relief to get that property in good hands.

-The 207-209 Gentry cottage development project that Gentry Partners (Core/Woodland Street Partners) has been submitted to Planning.  Look for a hearing next month.  This has been revised down to 10 homes on that 1-acre lot.

-Rosebank Cove (32 homes) at 1414 Rosebank Ave was approved on third reading by Metro Council last Tuesday, April 15th.

-Just down up the street from that, the East Greenway Park development along the bend of Rosebank Ave at Eastland is up for Planning Commission consideration on Thursday, 04/24.  This one is for 62 residential units plus a mixed-use commercial/office Neighborhood Center spot facing Rosebank Ave.  Aerial is working on this one.

-An 8-unit cottage development is proposed for 2324 Riverside Drive, just up from Riverside Village in Inglewood.  This is an odd lot with power lines / utility easements overhead.

-A 6-unit cottage development is proposed on Porter Road not too far across the railroad tracks just north of Family Wash.  This SP skipped the community meeting phase, which caused me to send a pointed letter to the Planning Commission.  This cottage development would involve demolishing one of the unique log cabins that give that stretch of road a welcome rustic feel and replacing it with six homes and lots and lots of concrete.  This one is supposed to go before the Council on May 6th.  Perhaps people will show up to oppose this SP.  The property owner is one of the partners at Porter Road Butcher.  Some people will be ready to butcher him if he goes through with this.

-The Lockeland Springs Overlay expansion Phase I is up for their MPC hearing on Thursday.  This is the northern expansion between Ordway Place going up toward Eastland behind Walden.  Of note this Overlay expansion area will include Avondale, where the "moat houses" are being built by Aerial.  The southward, Boscobel-area expansion will be in Phase II but has not yet made it to the hearing phase.  We learned on Thursday that a terrific Victorian home at 313 S 17th, just behind that church at 17th/Fatherland, is going to be demolished and replaced by an umbilical-cord duplex courtesy of Cathedral Homes.  So that southward expansion can't come soon enough.

-The Cathedral cottage development at 18th/Sevier across from VinnyLinks in Shelby Park is showing some signs of life after a lengthy hiatus.

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 1

It looks like the historic (but it seems poorly documented) house next to Walden will be demolished...

The other issue raised in the article is traffic control at the Walden intersection. If no stoplight, then what else can be done?

East Nashville home can't be moved; demolition looms

from

Tony Gonzalez, [email protected]

Queen Anne-style home on Eastland Avenue in East Nashville will be demolished. An offer to give it away free to anyone able to move it failed.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/2014/04/18/east-nashville-home-moved-demolition-looms/7842593/

It's a no-go on relocating a historic East Nashville home that had been offered free to anyone able to move it.

Instead of moving and preserving the gray, Queen Anne-style home at 1818 Eastland Ave., its architectural materials will be salvaged and then it will be knocked down in the coming weeks to make way for the latest phase of the popular Walden development.

The home, estimated by the Metro Historical Commission to be 130 years old, drew a few dozen prospective "buyers" soon after social media postings and The Tennessean featured it in January. The list quickly dwindled.

One serious developer, who owned land within two blocks, got an estimate of more than $50,000 to move the home — plus more to move power lines — but couldn't find a bank loan, said Tim Walker, historical commission executive director.

"He desperately wanted to do it," said Walker, who declined to identify the prospect. "I really thought we were going to have a win-win. It's just a shame."

The 17-room home was last assessed at $106,900. It's eligible for the National Register of Historic Places, but no effort was made to pursue the designation, in part because documentation was lacking.

Walker said the home's door trim, baseboards, fireplace mantels and floor joists have substantial value. One nonprofit and one salvage company will save what they can.

Limestone in the foundation also could be put to use in the landscaping, said developer March Egerton.

He said the home, deteriorated and made up of multiple additions in recent decades, proved too difficult to salvage. But it's not a "zero-sum game," he said, because the property will be home to a new combination commercial-and-residential building similar to two nearby.

Already, the development houses popular restaurants and stores that draw large, devoted crowds.

Egerton said he has no plans to add more parking — though it's a question he hears often.

"If you're going to have walkable neighborhoods and tenants and (attractions) people seem to enjoy, you're not also going to have oceans of parking," he said. "I'd contend I have a lot and I've got more than I'm required to have."

Metro Public Works does not currently have a plan to add a stoplight at the corner of Chapel and Eastland avenues.

What I always heard from our past District 6 Council Member, Mike Jameson, was that the SP requires March to add a stoplight at Chapel and Eastland after Phase II.  The Cumberland Transit/Climb Nashville building was Phase 1B.  So maybe the stoplight will go in after March completes this next building and starts the one after that. 

I get what March is saying about walkability, blah, blah, blah.  But the reality is that Eastland Ave is becoming the next Hillsboro Pike.  Unless tons of people start taking the #4 bus to get to Walden, et al, Eastwood is quickly going to outpace Hillsboro Village in the lack-of-parking category.

It appears the building next to us is on indefinite delay for awhile. No-one has heard anything in a long while.

The renovation of the Nashville Baptist Association Building is also on hold.

The former restaurant space in our building where Germantown East and Feast were is still unoccupied and vacant. According to the owner, no prospects with good financials have had any interest.

Edited by Urban Architecture

It appears the building next to us is on indefinite delay for awhile. No-one has heard anything in a long while.

The renovation of the Nashville Baptist Association Building is also on hold.

The former restaurant space in our building where Germantown East and Feast were is still unoccupied and vacant. According to the owner, no prospects with good financials have had any interest.

The financing had not been nailed down for the project on 5th. That one is going to be a wait and see for a while. You know how the banks can delay a project.

That is correct.  Those of us who showed up at the March meeting got 1107 disapproved because he was asking for too many "conditions" in order to cram a huge house onto a tiny lot.  Because that application was disapproved, the developer had to come back with a completely new application, which is the one that you see was approved in April.

There is another overlay large house in on Lillian closer to 14th that should not have been approved.  7 feet from the street?  That's a bad precedent for new construction.  Some individuals wrote letters requesting that the front setback be pushed back to 12 feet and that the side setback reduction be disapproved, but those letter-writing campaigns were not successful. 

"No one has heard anything in a long while."  That phrase is relative.  5th & Main took several years from the announcement date.  That's a large parcel.  I predict that the AMP will be in place before that building starts construction.  Patience, John!

I hope you are right, but at one time they told us it was imminent because the owner, who also owns our building, was already claiming parking spots along Yeaman Place for his new building!

I hope you are right, but at one time they told us it was imminent because the owner, who also owns our building, was already claiming parking spots along Yeaman Place for his new building!

Talk is cheap.  Tell him to cut the weeds out there on that vacant lot and then you will take him seriously.

Not sure about 318 S 17th Street.  A demo permit was pulled a few days ago for 313 S 17th Street.  It is going to be replaced by an umbilical-cord duplex courtesy of Cathedral Homes.  That area from the alley behind Fatherland down to Shelby is outside of the LS Overlay.

EDIT:  Just looked up 318 S 17th Street.  That structure, also would-be-contributing, had a demo permit issued a little while back as well.  I can't find a permit for the new construction. 

ADVICE:  Lockeland needs help finishing up their property owner canvassing efforts to determine the level of property owner support for a proposed southern Overlay expansion to go from Fatherland to Shelby/14th to 18th.  If you are concerned about inappropriate demolitions/infill in that area and/or want to help, please contact the LSNA board, particularly Mary Vavra.  They need all the help that they can get.

Edited by bwithers1

At yesterday's hearing the Planning Commission approved the expansion of the Lockeland Springs-East End CZO Expansion Phase I (McEwen/Little Hollywood) and the East Greenway Park 62-unit subdivision at Rosebank/Eastland.  Both of these now go to the Council for the May 6th public hearing. East Greenway Park will include a trailhead connection to the greenway.

The 8-unit cottage development proposal at 2324 Riverside Drive was deferred at the request of CM Anthony Davis to allow for a community meeting at the Inglewood Neighborhood Association meeting on May 1st.

Word on the street is the Mike's Ice Cream / Sip coffee shop will be relocating from Riverside Village to a former branch bank building at Gallatin/Ardee.  They may have outgrown their space in Riverside Village similar to Mitchell's Deli, BagelFace Bagels and Olive & Sinclair Chocolate Company.  I am always glad to see local small businesses growing and relocating to other, larger spaces in East Nashville (or even West Nashville).

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 1

That's good to hear about Mike's.  Is it the bank branch on the west side of Gallatin next to the log cabin place?  That has been empty for a while.

Anyone know what happened to the KFC across from Mickey's/The Hop Stop?  Last weekend it was up and running and today it has been totally stripped.  I was in Taco Bell last weekend and a KFC employee was talking to a TB employee and said they weren't remodeling and it would no longer be a KFC.

That's good to hear about Mike's.  Is it the bank branch on the west side of Gallatin next to the log cabin place?  That has been empty for a while.

Anyone know what happened to the KFC across from Mickey's/The Hop Stop?  Last weekend it was up and running and today it has been totally stripped.  I was in Taco Bell last weekend and a KFC employee was talking to a TB employee and said they weren't remodeling and it would no longer be a KFC.

I think that you're right that Mike's is going in the old bank branch building on the west side of Gallatin.  There are a few vacant (or might as well be vacant) bank branch buildings in there.  There is also the old Regions branch on the other side of the Gallatin at the same intersection.  (Regions outgrew that building and so they built the new one up at the Briley Parkway Home Depot outparcel).  But yes, I think that it is going in the one with the checkered tile facade at Ardee or Curdwood Blvd.

It is possible that the KFC is actually where the Zaxby's is going.  That might be it. Not sure, but the timing would be right.  I wish that they would just scrap those buildings altogether and start over, but that's wishful thinking on my part.

Edited by bwithers1

I also saw some guys scoping out the black and white building a few weeks ago.

I was also thinking that it would turn into the Zaxby's.  The KFC employee mentioned that they would be relocating.  Maybe to the vacant building next to the Sonic?

Do you mean KFC will move into the old Mrs. Winners/Church's or whatever chicken building?  That would be funny.  Someone should look up the SP zoning to see if the permitted uses for those parcels include anything other than "retail - specifically, fast-food chicken restaurant." 

I could be wrong, but I am hearing that the black-and-white building at Gallatin/Curdwood (Ardee) is going to be Mike's Ice Cream.  And come to think of it, that classic black-and-white motif would work well for an ice cream shop. 

Not just yet.  I keep watching that one.  You're right that grading work has restarted. I'm a little concerned about drainage issues on that lot, so Metro Stormwater had better take a look at the site plan.

Several years ago I think that the plan was for a Panera and one or two similar stores, but then the market tanked and everything stopped.  Don't quote me on that with Panera.  But I think that was one of the types of stores that the developers presented to the Inglewood neighborhood group several years ago.  I'm pretty sure that the lot is still owned by the same company. 

I'm having horrible nightmares about the Panera/Panda Express building at 100 Oaks popping up on Riverwood Drive.  At least whatever gets built on that site will have to meet the Gallatin Road UDO design guidelines.