Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

The property assessor came by today and took pictures and measurements of my house.  I'm a n00b homeowner so how much will this effect me?

I walked to the Inglewood Market today to get some stuff to grill out tomorrow and watched as two # 56s passed by right behind each other.  SMH

I've only heard horror stories about PIzzareal in terms of service and food.  Never been and have no desire to with 5 Points Pizza around, they're so good.

Drove by the old bowling alley that was being talked about.  Will that be demo'd or rehabbed?  It looks to be in bad shape.

It may be a little while before the alley gets help. From what I heard today, March Egerton has his hands full with Walden before anything there can start at the bowling alley.

Yeah, March definitely is one to thing LOOONNNNNNGGGG term.  The Walden SP has been on the books for going on ten years now, and he just opened Phase IB (with Climb Nashville, Two Ten Jack and Cumberland Transit).  That's out of about 9 total buildings in the Walden SP.

March has quite a few properties that he is sitting on waiting until the time and the concept is right.  The former Inglewood Lanes is ony one of his properties.  We're all really interested to see what ever happens with the Inglewood Riding Academy property that he owns. 

But the good thing about March is that he doesn't bulldoze things and leave giant gaping holes for a decade.  He lets it sit pretty much as-is until he is ready to move.

Yeah, March definitely is one to thing LOOONNNNNNGGGG term.  The Walden SP has been on the books for going on ten years now, and he just opened Phase IB (with Climb Nashville, Two Ten Jack and Cumberland Transit).  That's out of about 9 total buildings in the Walden SP.

March has quite a few properties that he is sitting on waiting until the time and the concept is right.  The former Inglewood Lanes is ony one of his properties.  We're all really interested to see what ever happens with the Inglewood Riding Academy property that he owns. 

But the good thing about March is that he doesn't bulldoze things and leave giant gaping holes for a decade.  He lets it sit pretty much as-is until he is ready to move.

Interesting. Apparently the Inglewood Neighborhood Association was created in 1996 to stave off a developer who wanted to build cheap, inexpensive homes on this property (Inglewood/Riverwood Riding Academy).

The Lockeland Springs CZO expansion Phase I (Ordway to Eastland, Rudolph to N 18th St) passed second reading at last night's Council hearing.  This should pass third reading on May 20th and be signed into law by Mayor Dean by Memorial Day.  Congratulations to all involved. 

Now to file the Phase II expansion ("Boscobel area") from just below Fatherland to Shelby and from 14th to 18th. 

• Like 2

Gentry Cottages SP (10 residences including 1 historic home) passed on Consent at yesterday's Planning Commission hearing.  That's a miracle.  After almost a year of wrangling, our neighborhood is approaching consensus on that one.  I appreciate Andrew Beaird's patience and follow-through in working with our neighbors.  Some more tweaks will happen before the Council public hearing.  MZHC has seen the preliminary renderings but may have some final tweaks at their July hearing.

Elsewhere in E Nashville, 2324 Riverside SP (8 units on Riverside Drive just north of Riverside Village) was deferred to June 12th.  I met with the applicant and they agreed to a deferral to allow time for one more Inglewood Neighborhood Association meeting to hash out details before coming before the Planning Commissioners.

Do you have any more information on what types of units will be at 2324 Riverside Dr?

The preliminary information presented was that they will be single-family units, 2 stories, with pull-under garages.  I think that means that most of the living space will be upstairs with the ground floor encompassing the garage and some living space as well.  These units will be on the smaller end of the SF spectrum.  I think that we are finally starting to get developments in E Nash that are at or below 1800 SF. 

No architectural renderings have been proposed yet.  Neighborhood preference is for Tudor-style houses facing Riverside in keeping with some of the more identifiable character of that street, which was primarily developed in the 1920s during the heyday of the Revival architectural styles.  No word yet on what the interior units facing the shared courtyard would look like. 

Some concerns raised at the INA meeting were visibility since that driveway access point is in an elbow where Riverside makes a sharp turn.  There is a boulevard median pull-through immediately opposite the proposed driveway entrance, so exiting vehicles could technically make a left, but they had better get their timing right.  If anybody can solve those engineering issues, it's Dale & Associates. 

• Like 1

Incredible thread, really appreciate the good info on this chain. You all are doing good work here in East Nashville.

Another welcome here as well. I try and make sure I welcome the newbies when I see them, but I do apolgize when I miss folks. A lot to keep track of here.

Just got back from the Shelby Bottoms Greenway trailhead near Copper Creek.  I took Cahal to get over there and I probably saw 15-20 new houses under construction.  I know we're growing and we talk about here and read about it but it's another thing to actually see it.

I just did a street view of Cahal, as I wasn't familiar with it (although I once drove up the very beautiful Eastland Avenue and adjacent streets), and it looks like Cahal experienced an abrupt interruption to its development right around the time of the Depression.  The bigger homes look very much pre-1930, and with high quality masonry construction.  But then the "newer" houses of the early postwar period are small and cheaply built with asbestos siding.  Hopefully those are the ones being demolished.  I can see that Cahal has great potential because it has sidewalks and nice trees.

Yes, Cahal is extremely beautiful right off of Gallatin.  Side walks, tree canopy over the road, bike lanes.... wish I lived over there.  I am all for the density that the skinny upright houses bring but of course don't want the older houses with good construction to be torn down. 

"They are snatching those older houses up and tearing them down as quick as they can."

Sadly, you're right. Cahal had so much potential to be a great street. That 1100 block right off Gallatin was the city limit when Nashville annexed what is today Eastwood and the rest of the area between Gallatin and the railroad tracks in 1926 or 1927. Many of those homes on Cahal were already there at that time. Too many of those are being brought down now to give much of an impression of the historic street that Cahal could have been between Gallatin and the railroad tracks.

South Inglewood unfortunately is organized to fight property theft, not identity theft, and seems to be having a difficult time transitioning to the new reality that they are a sandwich area that is prime ground for abysmal yet expensive infill.

Edited by bwithers1

105 S. 11th St (the old Edgefield Cafe) redevelopment plans appear in the MHZC docs for the May 21st hearing. I can't figure out how to paste the link using the iPhone version of UP. Basically, that building will come down and be replaced by a single-story brick building with pretty traditional detailing. This new structure will be a little bit shorter than the adjacent Eastside Cycles building. There will be a large plate-glass-type front window and door, but there will also be a space along the southern end of the property where there will be a walkway to a takeout window. The walkway will go along the side next to Bongo Java and will connect to a rear parking/patio dining area in the back along the alley.

UPDATE:  Here is a link to the MHZC docket:

http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/MHZC/docs/2014%20Meetings/05%20May%2021/SR%20105%20South%2011th%20Street.pdf

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 1

Yes, really hope they're a late night eatery.

Was there something wrong, structurally, with the building?  I don't get why they're rebuilding.

That building is not contributing ("historic") and so there is no requirement to keep it. That commercial building was constructed in the front yard of a Victorian house that has long since been demolished.

The new building will resemble the Kendall's Appliance building at the SEC of 11th/Fatherland that now anchors the Shoppes at Fatherland.