Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

There is an 11-unit townhome residential development at Riverside/Rosebank/Waters Ave on this week'a planning commission agenda. This is a sliver of land sandwiched between the railroad tracks and Riverside Drive right there just south of the Rosebank Ave intersection at the border between Eastwood and Rosebank neighborhood areas. This intersection was designated as a Neighborhood Center in the East Nashville Community Plan document in 2006. That's how long this has been on the books. I am glad to see that it is finally coming along.

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 1

I rode by on Branch Street in South Inglewood near the corner of Litton and there are 4 very tall units going in on what looked like one(!?!) lot, all unattached but very close together. Does anyone know if there's any overlay in the works in that area to maintain the size of lots? The development can't be on more than a half acre and that's being generous.

• Like 1

I rode by on Branch Street in South Inglewood near the corner of Litton and there are 4 very tall units going in on what looked like one(!?!) lot, all unattached but very close together. Does anyone know if there's any overlay in the works in that area to maintain the size of lots? The development can't be on more than a half acre and that's being generous.

There are presently no talks in South Inglewood that I know of for any type of Overlay.  There are numerous demolitions taking place in South Inglewood, as you mention.  The R6 zoning allows two-family homes on one lot of 6,000 SF or larger.  So, yes, many of the South Inglewood demolitions are replacing small (often not great) homes with duplexes.  Those south of Cahal are in the Urban Zoning Overlay and so must be attached, which often means umbilicals.  Those north of Cahal are outside the UZO and so they may be detached duplexes, which is two tall side-by-side houses with a grass strip in between.  The building rights are to construct up to three stories or 45 feet to the eaves.  The building rights also allow concrete pad parking areas in front if there is no alley access or if the developer simply decides to maximize the buildable area and have the tall-skinny houses go back all the way to within 20 feet of the rear property line.  You will be seing quite a bit of that happen in South Inglewood.

South Inglewood is almost certainly not eligible for a Conservation Zoning Overlay due to a scattering of historic houses.  There are pockets of historic houses in the 1100 bocks close to Gallatin (if you can hold off and prevent most of the demolitions from removing those historic houses - see Cahal) and along Riverside Drive.  But it is scattered otherwise. 

South Inglewood is also an unlikely candidate for a Contextual Overlay (assuming those pass in June) because the housing stock is already so inconsistent.

The best bet for most of South Inglewood is to rally behind the upcoming 2-family dwelling bill that would require attached duplexes (south of Cahal) to be attached by 20 feet or 80% of the length of the house, whichever is greater, starting at the front of the house and will require that detached duplexes (north of Cahal) have a height of no more than 1.5x the width.  That bill passed the Planning Commission and I believe will be up for 2nd reading (public hearing) at the June 3rd Council hearing.

South Inglewood also sat idly by for an SP that will demolish one of the log homes on Porter Road and replace it with a 6-unit detached cottage development.  All of that grass and all of those trees are going to be replaced by an ocean of concrete.  But South Inglewood neighbors apparently thought that it was OK or they would have come to Planning Commission and Council hearings to oppose it. We'll see how it turns out when construction is finished. 

If South Inglewood wants to come up with a vision for what the neighborhood should look like, they had better get started working on that post haste.  Otherwise it will be characterized by randomness of an increasingly egregious variety.

• Like 4

I live in South Inglewood (south of Cahal) and would like to get some kind of overlay going. The current one they are trying to pass may be adequate because like bwithers said the housing stock is just so varied and the lack of pre-war houses seems like would be a big detriment. They are putting up some really out of character stuff...check out some of the new builds on Straightway Ave you get a chance. The umbilical duplex that was just finished actually looks better than the rest of the builds. Also check out a mini umbilical duplex on Chapel near Chester Ave they are building now. It's ridiculous looking. I should have went to planning meeting for the Porter

Rd development. Is there somewhere online you can see blueprints for new build applications?

Edited by TnNative
  • Like 1

I live in South Inglewood (south of Cahal) and would like to get some kind of overlay going. The current one they are trying to pass may be adequate because like bwithers said the housing stock is just so varied and the lack of pre-war houses seems like would be a big detriment. They are putting up some really out of character stuff...check out some of the new builds on Straightway Ave you get a chance. The umbilical duplex that was just finished actually looks better than the rest of the builds. Also check out a mini umbilical duplex on Chapel near Chester Ave they are building now. It's ridiculous looking. I should have went to planning meeting for the Porter

Rd development. Is there somewhere online you can see blueprints for new build applications?

Typically there are no blueprints for new build permits.  But rezoning/SP Planning Commission staff reports will often contain a site plan.  Occasionally they will include renderings, but not usually.  Metro Historic Zoning Commission dockets are required to include renderings of some kind, but quite often the architect sends the actual blue prints as well. That is another plus of Conservation Zoning Overlays:  quite a bit more information and feedback opportunity is provided to the neighborhoods about what is going in next door.

Hit me up sometime if you want to start working on South Inglewood planning.  There is a Detailed Neighborhood Design Plan for South Inglewood between Gallatin and the railroad tracks, but the Planning Commission does not follow that with any consistency.

Edited by bwithers1

• 2 weeks later...

I happened to be in the Shelby Hills area this morning and noted that after a long delay construction is starting on the Cathedral cottage development at the NEC of 18th/Sevier across from VinnyLinks golf course in Shelby Park.  The little house that had been opened to vagrants has been removed and there is quite a bit of dirt being moved as of this morning.

The leveling of the vacant lot at Gallatin Pk and Riverwood Dr looks to be nearly complete.

There is, what appears to be, remodeling work being done at the old bank at Gallatin Pk and Ardee Ave.  The for sale sign is still up at the other bank across the street.

The leveling of the vacant lot at Gallatin Pk and Riverwood Dr looks to be nearly complete.

There is, what appears to be, remodeling work being done at the old bank at Gallatin Pk and Ardee Ave.  The for sale sign is still up at the other bank across the street.

Inglewood hosted an information session last Thursday, 05/29 regarding Conservation Zoning Overlays.  Over 120 people showed up to the meeting.  Councilman Anthony Davis asked how many were in favor an all but 5 were in favor.  That was relatively uncontroversial.  What was kind of funny - or annoying - was the amount of questions directed to the Historic Commission staff presenter about the Gallatin/Riverwood site.  Of course, that is not in an historic district and so staff wouldn't know and CM Anthony Davis didn't yet know the tenants, either.  But that question was asked over and over and over at least a half a dozen times.  If I find out the answer, I will post so that everyone in the universe can move on to other questions.

Edited by bwithers1

Brett, have you heard anything about the work going on at the corner of Hart Ln and Saunders Ave?

This area was hit had during the flood, it was surprisng to see work going on over there...

There are a number of pretty large stormwater improvement projects going on in the areas west of Gallatin.  That may be what you are seeing.  I don't get down that way very often.   There is a really minor SP that was filed for Sauders Ave and Sauders Court (just N of Hart Lane) recently but it looks like a right-of-way abandonment that works it's way around some utility easements and then consolidates some lots.  But I don't see any construction plans.  Barge Cannon et el is the applicant, so the civil engineering aspect of a stormwater infrastructure project fits their expertise.

Actually, there is a lot of stormwater sewer work going on all over Nashville as part of an EPA-ordered separation of Nashville's sewage and stormwater systems.  That is huge infrastructure project that Nashville is working on that doesn't get much press coverage.  The cost of that mandatory infrastructure improvement is something like three times the cost of the Music City Center that must be paid for and implemented over a ten-year period.  I think that we are only a couple of years into that process with several more to go.

Edited by bwithers1

Saw that there is a Lockeland Springs general meeting scheduled for next Thursday the 19th regarding the "small home cottage development SP project at 404 S. 16th."  I drive by that spot often, and think it is at the bottom of what I call the roller coaster hill.  There are already a couple of the tall/narrow houses right next to this lot.   

Director of MHZ Tim Walker and Councilman Westerholm are supposed to be available for overlay questions.  Presentation on the project by Drew Sloss.

Anybody know much about this project?  I haven't seen anything about it on this site, and noticed that the house that currently sits on this lot was recently sold.   

Saw that there is a Lockeland Springs general meeting scheduled for next Thursday the 19th regarding the "small home cottage development SP project at 404 S. 16th."  I drive by that spot often, and think it is at the bottom of what I call the roller coaster hill.  There are already a couple of the tall/narrow houses right next to this lot.   

Director of MHZ Tim Walker and Councilman Westerholm are supposed to be available for overlay questions.  Presentation on the project by Drew Sloss.

Anybody know much about this project?  I haven't seen anything about it on this site, and noticed that the house that currently sits on this lot was recently sold.   

The proposal is to put three houses on that lot.  It is not quite at the bottom of the gulley, it is more on the hill just above it or along the ascent/descent.  You are correct that it recently sold and a demolition was pulled a while back.  There is a tremendous amount of demolitions (sometimes including historic homes) and inappropriate development in that area.  Some appropriate but mostly not.  We will see how this SP goes over with the Lockeland Springs neighborhood.

As you may know, this parcel sits in the Lockeland Springs Conservation Zoning Overlay expansion area - Phase II.  Phase II will go from the alley south of Fatherland down to Shelby (both sides except fo the "pocket park" where the tiny recycled houses are located) from 14th to 18th.  The Lockeland Springs Phase II Overlay will be interesting because the design guidelines are being adjusted to account for the extreme topographical issues in that Boscobel/Lillian gulley.  Those relaxed design guidelines will apply only to particular parcels in that gully.  The rest of the district will have the same design guidelines as the rest of the Lockeland Springs-East End Conservation Zoning Overlay.

LS-EE CZO Phase II goes before the Metro Historic Zoning Commission on Wednesday, June 18th, the Planning Commission on Thursday, June 26th, and the Council public hearing (2nd reading) on Tuesday, July 1st.  Obviously permits that are pulled before the Overlay expansion goes into effect - assuming that it is approved - are still valid for up to 6 months.

Edited by bwithers1

If you have not been to Riverside Grill Shack I highly recommend it.  Amazing burgers.

Man, my dad and I went after hearing the same reviews from others and we both walked away disappointed.

I didnt think the food had any type of flavor at all and was over priced.

Looks like 918 Shelby Infill was approved 2 days ago? That's good news that construction is moving forward, no? Seems to be an eyesore block with potential - https://permits.nashville.gov/kivanet/2/permit/summary/index.cfm?pid=1948787&jur=NASH

Here is the MHZC docket for that developement  http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/MHZC/docs/2013%20Meetings/11%20November%202013/SR%20918%20Shelby%20Av.pdf.  I presume that this permit relates to this application.  This application was approved with conditions last fall.  One of the conditions was thicker porch columns.  The staff notes indicated that more detailed drawings were needed at the time, so it is very possible that some minor details have changed.  This application just goes to show that historic districticing does not require "historic"-looking buildings.

That's certainly better than the burnt out house that sat on that lot for a few years! Does anyone know what the deal is with the other two (NW & SE corners) empty lots at that intersection? That old auto detailing building could make for a cool coffee shop or something.

I don't know of any concrete plans for those other two corners at 10th/Shelby.  Truth be told, there is a TON of buildable land on Shelby, including those corners as well as the former Fannie Battle site.  That one duplex on the north side of Shelby must have awesome views of downtown for the moment.  But I agree that the auto detailing shop could be a great cafe, diner or something similar.  I kind of hope that Powell Construction owns or has an option on the land at the SEC of 10th and Shelby.  They have done so much work in East Nashville that I can see them putting in something pretty spectacular on that lot next to the historic house that they use as an office.

Building rehab permit pulled yesterday for 626 Main Street (Allnite Glass) https://permits.nashville.gov/kivanet/2/permit/summary/index.cfm?pid=1980835&jur=NASH to include a white-box buildout and to add a stairway and 2nd floor deck.  Chad Grout is handling the leasing for this property.  Perhaps Chad can chime in with any plans.