Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

We could use a scooter shop in East Nashville.  It seems that they have all closed.  I would love to have EastSide Scooters or something similar back in the building at Chicamauga/Gallatin.  After EastSide Scooters closed, that building was leased to Crossfit 615, who ended up moving, and now to EasyMoney check cashing :(

My dad wants to move his scooter shop there so bad, every time we drive by there he brings it up

Townhome permits were pulled for 121-127 South 10th Street yesterday.  There appear to be 8 total (2 for each address) so far.  Based on the Metro Maps for this parcel, these permits appear to be for the large mixed-use townhome/retail/office project at the SEC of 10th/Russell that had the address of 205 South 10th when it went before the Metro Historic Zoning Commission.  I'm not sure how a block could simultaneously be in the 100-block and the 200-block but, hey, that's Nashville. 

Here is that MHZC docket for anyone who needs a refresher  http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/MHZC/docs/2013%20Meetings/06%20June%202013/SR%20205%20S%2010th%20St.pdf.  This one was approved about a year ago! 

Edited by bwithers1

For those who are keeping track, the Lockeland Springs-East End Conservation Zoning Overlay expansion (Phase II - 14th - 18th, Lillian to Shelby) was approved by the MHZC yesterday.  There was some debate about this one pertaining to how to handle the Boscobel valley, which has experienced a tremendous amount of infill lately.  I will not characterize that infill:  if you don't know what I'm talking about, just go see and decide for yourselves.

The LS-EE design guidelines for the 1400-1600 blocks of Boscobel will have extra allowances for garages and buiding height that would not be recommended in other parts of the district owing to the extreme topographical variation in that particular sub-area.

We could use a scooter shop in East Nashville.  It seems that they have all closed.  I would love to have EastSide Scooters or something similar back in the building at Chicamauga/Gallatin.  After EastSide Scooters closed, that building was leased to Crossfit 615, who ended up moving, and now to EasyMoney check cashing :(

My dad still runs the only "Scooter only" shop in Nashville, Red Dog Scooters....he is in the process of bringing in a new line of scooters and still does all repairs.

He used to to be on Gallatin Rd as well in the building that is now the Hop Stop, now...he is at 321 E Trinity Ln, Nashville, TN

My dad still runs the only "Scooter only" shop in Nashville, Red Dog Scooters....he is in the process of bringing in a new line of scooters and still does all repairs.

He used to to be on Gallatin Rd as well in the building that is now the Hop Stop, now...he is at 321 E Trinity Ln, Nashville, TN

That's right at the end of my street (Lischey). I'm not really in the market for a scooter, but I'll swing by and check it out.

• Like 1

The permit was pulled yesterday for the extensive interior and exterior renovation of Stratford High School.  $16M, I think.  I attended a presentation at the June Inglewood neighborhood meeting to see plans.  I am not sure where to find them online.  Obviously a lot of the work will be interior to the structure, but I do recall that the entrance to the building will be altered. 

Part of the interior renovation is to allow better setup for the STEM curriculum itself in terms of technological upgrades.  But there will also be a reconfiguration of the classrooms to facilitate the collaborative learning projects that are utilized in the STEM curriculum rather than the traditional lecture hall-type of classroom arrangement.

Stratford has architectural details of the early-1960s era in which it was built, which is kind of MidMod in a good way.  We will see how the renovation turns out. 

Some of the school officials at the INA meeting remarked that the renovation will take a year to 18 months and so they will operate out of one wing while the reno work goes on the in the other wing and then switch, etc.  All in all this is a great thing for East Nashville since this is the zoned high school for the entire area between Gallatin and the Cumberland up to Briley. 

Edited by bwithers1

As a Stratford alum from some of it's "rougher" days...I am happy to see the school recive some positive attention.
On the other hand, I really hope they don't alter the outside extensively.

All of the schools I grew up going to have changed drastically in one way or the other:
Inglewood (new building)
Dan Mills (new building)

Litton (many renovation)

Stratford (current overhaul)

Brett,

I sent you a private message about a possible South Inglewood zoning. Just seeking your guidance or advice. I'm sure your really busy and I appreciate any time that you have to spare.

Brett,

I sent you a private message about a possible South Inglewood zoning. Just seeking your guidance or advice. I'm sure your really busy and I appreciate any time that you have to spare.

Apologies on the rambling below and didn't mean to change the current subject -

Well, after consultation with some local contractors and real estate agents, it's confirmed the value of my property is in the lot. The house me and my growing family is in is post-war and thus with the rising housing costs in the area is now considered a teardown (despite the love I've put into the last 8 years). It would not be advantageous for us to add on and to go into extra debt apparently. For us to stay in East Nashville, around the neighborhoods we have grown to love and for my wife to remain mostly a stay at home mom (which we highly prefer for now), we will probably either need to stay in house that we have, which we have already outgrew (moved to the house when we were childless) or develop the land into a duplex (umbilical cord I'm guessing) ourselves (we will have the means) and sell one side and keep/pay off the other side. We will then proabably either live in it or rent it while we buy a larger house in the area so we can raise our family. It's a great location, so I forsee us moving back eventually if we do temporarily move out. There is a large group of older duplexes (in pretty poor condition) owned by one company that is near us and wouldn't be suprised if some type of high density cottage development goes in there when market forces demand. And like previosly mentioned, almost ALL NEW CONSTRUCTION in South Inglewood appears to be duplex orientated (a lot of it tacky and expensive like Brett said). So we'll probably be surrounded by young childless professionals pretty soon (most of our friends live in Eastwood now). The only thing I can hope for is some type of design guidlines being put in place. I would also like to see a sidewalk stipulation for all new construction as many of the roads (besides Cahal) do not have any sidewalks and there is regular pedestrian traffic on the roadways. Anyone else in South Inglewood or any neighborhood that can give any advice or chime in, please do (or private message me). I haven't engaged Anthony Davis yet but would like to when I know a little more about the process. Thanks

Edited by TnNative

BTW,

All this is pure speculation right now. As we are seeing the neighborhood rapidly changing (for better or worse), we are trying to determine how we will fit into our immediate area which appears will be concentrated high end duplexes which probably will not draw many families (or keep them when said young professionals decide to embark on this path). I believe Mike Byrd addressed a similar issue happening in Salemtown on his Enclave website. He mentioned that a vast amount of new construction assumes the younger professionals will want to move out to the suburbs once/if they start a family due to the lack of diversity of the housing stock that is being built. As a father of 2 young kids (possibly 3 soon) that wants to raise their kids in East Nashville and not move to the suburbs, this is becoming a glaringly relevant fact in places like South Inglewood.

Edited by TnNative

I read that piece and knew there would be a fiery response from Bret. 

The Three Points thing immediately made me recognize that this was some sort of developer/realator lingo. 

The reason you hear about a "Five Points" as an area name is because it is a somewhat rare form of an intersection. You know what people call a 3 pointed intersection? A "T"! There are tons of them! There's nothing special about that, or to distinguish it from any other "3 point" intersection.

Whoever coined that term should be chained, whipped, and then tarred and feathered for our amusement.

I have forwarded that article link to the presidents of Chamber East and the Historic East Nashville Merchants Association so that they can reach out to this journalist and offer their organizations' services in the event that the journalist wants to cover East Nashville business/development issues with any degree of accuracy in the future. 

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 1

So 2 houses within a few blocks of our home appear to be 'turning over' soon. One is 1311 Fatherland, which does not have a sign out front but is on MLS for $169,900...the Realtor said there's already a contract on home, apparently estate sale. I have to assume it will be a tear down, as it's a corner lot and the house hasn't been taken care of in decades...I would assume it's 'non-contributing' but am not certain? 

Also 1704 Fatherland sold last month to Garafola Properties, who appears to be the owner of Cathedral Construction? Do these guys build umbilicals? Or is Fatherland protected from those? 1704 appears to have some historical/architectural significance so perhaps it's 'contributing' and will be a rehab with an addition like 1801 Fatherland was. Personally I'm a big fan of the job they did at 1801. 

So 2 houses within a few blocks of our home appear to be 'turning over' soon. One is 1311 Fatherland, which does not have a sign out front but is on MLS for $169,900...the Realtor said there's already a contract on home, apparently estate sale. I have to assume it will be a tear down, as it's a corner lot and the house hasn't been taken care of in decades...I would assume it's 'non-contributing' but am not certain?

I'd say judging from Google Maps, that 1311 & 1309 were both built about the same time. Although the picture is from 2012, it looks like 1311 was being kept up, since someone was obviously living there with the chairs and swing on the porch...

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=1311+Fatherland+Street,+Nashville,+TN&hl=en&ll=36.17379,-86.742672&spn=0.000017,0.010568&sll=36.174059,-86.746507&layer=c&cbp=13,31.17,,0,0.22&cbll=36.173797,-86.74664&hnear=1311+Fatherland+St,+Nashville,+Tennessee+37206&t=h&z=17&panoid=93QfaxEf5aP6Lzm3xfzZnQ

The really good news for you is that all of Fatherland is inside the Lockeland Springs-East End Conservation Zoning Overlay (or the Edgefield Historic Preservation District).  Now, when you cross the alley to the south of Fatherland between 14th - 18th, then that area is out of the Overlay.  Keep your fingers crossed that the Ovleray expansion passes at Thursday's Planning Commission hearing.  Better yet, write a letter to the Planning Commissioners encouraging them to uphold the Planning staff recommendation to approve the expansion.

If these two houses are contributing to the Lockeland Springs-East End Conservation Zoning Overlay District, their demolition will either be denied or will require a full hearing before the MHZC in which the applicants will need to document the amount of damage to the structures. If the buildings are not contributing ("historic"), the MHZC will have no legal basis to prevent their demolition and that permit will be approved administratively; however, the new construction permits will certainly require a hearing. The next possible MHZC hearing date is July 16th.

But I would imagine that both of those structures are contributing to the Lockeland Springs-East End CZO. The date of construction and the style of the homes suggest a contributing status. And neither home has had exterior modifications to such a degree as to lose its historic integrity.  Pete Prosser's arguments as the listing agent notwithstanding.

Cathedral does indeed build umbilicals, among other types of construction.  They recently demolished a victorian on 17th near Lillian and replaced it with an umbilical.  That area is just outside the Overlay.  But they do work inside Overlays and are able to meet the design guidelines, which definitely prohibit umbilical-cord duplexes.  They are currently working on the development at the NWC of 14th/Shelby, for example.  They wanted to demolish the little historic house, but the MHZC denied their request.  So they built the foursquare on the vacant portion of that lot and renovated the little house. 

Also 1704 Fatherland sold last month to Garafola Properties, who appears to be the owner of Cathedral Construction? Do these guys build umbilicals? Or is Fatherland protected from those? 1704 appears to have some historical/architectural significance so perhaps it's 'contributing' and will be a rehab with an addition like 1801 Fatherland was. Personally I'm a big fan of the job they did at 1801. 

Edited by bwithers1

I'd say judging from Google Maps, that 1311 & 1309 were both built about the same time. Although the picture is from 2012, it looks like 1311 was being kept up, since someone was obviously living there with the chairs and swing on the porch...

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=1311+Fatherland+Street,+Nashville,+TN&hl=en&ll=36.17379,-86.742672&spn=0.000017,0.010568&sll=36.174059,-86.746507&layer=c&cbp=13,31.17,,0,0.22&cbll=36.173797,-86.74664&hnear=1311+Fatherland+St,+Nashville,+Tennessee+37206&t=h&z=17&panoid=93QfaxEf5aP6Lzm3xfzZnQ

Yes in that picture 1311 doesn't look bad at all. Also went back and re-read my choice of words: "hasn't been taken care of in decades" Probably exaggerated there, poorly worded! Didn't mean to 'bash' that property quite like that. And 1309 is kept up perfectly. 

I believe same family has been there since 2008, as far as I can tell. I zoomed around to the back of 1311 and the grass was freshly cut in that picture. But there have been multiple codes complaints called on it over the past 2 years, mattresses discarded in yard, trash everywhere, waist high grass in back yard, junk cars left parked, etc 

Edited by FatherLand

Yes in that picture 1311 doesn't look bad at all. Also went back and re-read my choice of words: "hasn't been taken care of in decades" Probably exaggerated there, poorly worded! Didn't mean to 'bash' that property quite like that. And 1309 is kept up perfectly. 

I believe same family has been there since 2008, as far as I can tell. I zoomed around to the back of 1311 and the grass was freshly cut in that picture. But there have been multiple codes complaints called on it over the past 2 years, mattresses discarded in yard, trash everywhere, waist high grass in back yard, junk cars left parked, etc 

Fortunately, none of the Codes violations that you reference for 1311 Fatherland are structural.  A MHZC hearing for a demolition permit of a contributing structure would rely upon testimony of a structural engineer.  Mattresses, garbage, and grass are easy fixes.

Edited by bwithers1

A reliable source tells me that the Riverside Church of Christ building at the SWC of Riverside/Porter that was recently put up for sale has been bought by the same owners as Ruby on Wedgewood.  That whole intersection was rezoned Neighborhood Center about a year ago. 

I will try to obtain a status update from the developer of the cottage development to include a coffee shop on the Porter side of that lot that was approved by Planning and the Council also about a year ago.

Edited by bwithers1

I'm noticing a bunch of new builds now in South Inglewood with front loading garages (Chester Ave, end of Chapel) that are completely out of character with the neighborhood. I have sent my emails supporting both Bills BL2014-770 and BL2014-771. Thanks again for all you do Brett.

Townhome permits were pulled for 121-127 South 10th Street yesterday.  There appear to be 8 total (2 for each address) so far.  Based on the Metro Maps for this parcel, these permits appear to be for the large mixed-use townhome/retail/office project at the SEC of 10th/Russell that had the address of 205 South 10th when it went before the Metro Historic Zoning Commission.  I'm not sure how a block could simultaneously be in the 100-block and the 200-block but, hey, that's Nashville. 

Here is that MHZC docket for anyone who needs a refresher  http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/MHZC/docs/2013%20Meetings/06%20June%202013/SR%20205%20S%2010th%20St.pdf.  This one was approved about a year ago! 

Development info here:

https://www.facebook.com/FarrowFivePoints

I'm noticing a bunch of new builds now in South Inglewood with front loading garages (Chester Ave, end of Chapel) that are completely out of character with the neighborhood. I have sent my emails supporting both Bills BL2014-770 and BL2014-771. Thanks again for all you do Brett.

Thank you for your help!  Some of the CMs on the Planning, Zoning and Historical Committee have expressed appreciation for the letters of support that they are receiving, particularly with the photos of some of these types of buildings attached. As CM Burkley Allen (18) said of one example, "a picture truly is worth a thousand words." 

BL2014-770 should pass third reading on Tuesday.  That will reduce some of the height of those duplex buildings relative to their width.  It will still not ban the front-loading garages, though.  A Contextual Overlay would still have to be applied to take care of that.  Let's hope that we can keep the BL2014-771 alive to allow that option if South Inglewood folks ever get organized enough to implement a Contextual or any other kind of Overlay.

The Chapel/Chester umbilical with the front-loading garages serving as the ground floor is being marketed by Pete Prosser, who is one of the developer/realtors who testified against -771 saying to the Council that they need to stop putting in Overlays and just let developers build whatever they want, wherever they want so that Metro can remain financially afloat with new property taxes.  Pete Prosser's name is also all over some of the umbilicals on Scott Ave, particularly the really tall ones near Fall Street that stand on 6-foot-tall foundations that are still listed for sale.

The final public meeting for the Envision Cayce Master Plan is tomorrow afternoon.  This looks like an ambitious project if they can actually make it happen. The area could certainly benefit from it.  

From the Cayce Place Revitalization Foundation's facebook page...

Public Meeting Announcement:

MDHA has announced the final public meeting to discuss the Envision Cayce Master Plan. 

Where: Martha O’Bryan Center (711 South 7th St.)
When: 5:30pm on Tuesday, July 1st

Although this public presentation of the master plan for Cayce Place is months later than originally expected, there have been important developments in the interim. 

1) Jim Harbison was named Executive Director late last year. Harbison was most recently Director for Nashville Multifamily Program Center for HUD. He has a deep commitment to revitalizing our oldest family housing communities. 
2) MDHA purchased CWA Plaza. A successful revitalization of Cayce Place could not be implemented without incorporating CWA Plaza so this was an important step. 
3) Early indications that HUD’s Rental Assistance Demonstration Program (RAD) will be expanded in the September 2015 congressional budget, which would allow MDHA to move forward with the Envision Cayce plan. 

Please come to the July 1st meeting at the Martha O’Bryan Center to show support and to view the plan. The Envision Cayce plan is the culmination of over a year of engaging residents, stakeholders and the surrounding community. 

Here are some highlights: 
1) 1 for 1 replacement of the existing subsidized housing units
2) Existing residents get first priority to return
3) 1,500 additional affordable housing units 
4) Mixed use to include retail
5) Better access to public transportation

The scope of the plan is far beyond anything MDHA has done in the past. Envision Cayce is not a project that simply restores or rehabilitates public housing. It incorporates many of the key components implemented in successful revitalization efforts around the country. It will reshape East Nashville and redefine Nashville as a progressive city dedicated to breaking the cycle of multi-generational poverty. It provides a real opportunity to address the challenges of concentrated poverty, to lift families up and to ensure the 1,200 children at Cayce Place can realize their full potential. 

There remains work to be done to ensure that world-class education is an embedded component of this plan as well as job opportunities for residents during demolition and construction. 

Please come to show your support.

• Like 1