Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

-- because that can sometimes lead to the development having a bland and/or "corporate" feel, without the quirks and uniqueness that local places provide.

This is a big part of it. They often have the "corporate feel", not only in the product they serve, but also in the design of the building which they occupy. I would also dare to say that our main roads (Gallatin, Nolensville, Murfreesboro, etc) are, in fact, "overrun" by these chains. I don't mind them so much when they fit into the local building scape as an option among the locals, such as the Dunkin Donuts in the MCC or Elliston. I just don't like the free standing, drive thru on an acre corner plot, like we see so prominently elsewhere.

They have their place, but I much prefer to buy back into the local economy.

• Like 2

The old shut down swifty gas station would be a perfect location for a Zaxbys, the building that Black Raven is in goes a ways back within my family dating back to when it was the Caudle Veterinary Clinic and I would hate to see it go away

• Like 1

Yeah, for the record, I understand that every new business isn't going to be an independent boutique shop or coffee shop, especially on Gallatin Road. Quality, well managed chain stores like a Zaxby's will help with the corridors image and probably help reduce the crime rate. But, like bwithers and bhibbs said, that's a pretty cool little building that houses a unique business in Logues/Cult Fiction. It's part of a relatively new neat little stretch on Gallatin that also has Pepperfire, Mickey's Tavern, The Hop Stop, Lone Wolf Tattoo & B-Side Salon/Carlisa's. I hate to see the corner of it flattened for a generic (albeit probably well landscaped and conforming to the UDO) fast food joint (my opinion, an overrated and over priced one at that). I'm guessing that corner lot/high traffic count area of Trinity at Gallatin Rd was just too hard to pass up for Zaxby's. I am looking forward to Cook Out though. 

Edited by TnNative
  • Like 1

Yeah, just to be clear:  I have no objection to a Zaxby's moving to Gallatin Pike.  If they build a new structure, they will have to follow the Urban Design Overlay rules, which is a good thing. 

UPDATE:  Apparently, Zaxby's is going to be requesting a variance from the Gallatin Road UDO setback requirements.  Boo, hiss!

Numerous East Nashville items appear on the docket for next Thursday's MPC hearing.  Here is a link to the staff reports http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/Planning/docs/MPCMeetings/2014/072414.pdf and a quick summary of East items:

130 Marie Street (Highland Heights) (PP24-29):  This is an old item that was previously deferred but shows up in the Staff Reports but not on the Agenda.  I'm not sure of the status.  It is another (!) Regal Homes 2-for-1 on a 50-foot single-family lot.  The usual Regal SP for two 2-story skinny houses that require a side setback reduction from 5' to 3.'  Planning staff previously recommended disapproval (and still are) because the lack of alley access means that the applicant would need to put a concrete parking lot in the front yard.  CM Scott Davis is working through some of these either (1) to disapprove these or (2) to amend them to something more palatable, if that is possible.  Add this one to the District 5 Drama list.

1008 Joseph Ave (Cleveland Park) (PP30-35, item 2014SP-048-001):  More District 5 Drama fodder.  Yet another (!) two-for-one SP to put two houses on one RS-zoned lot.  Yet again a Regal Homes SP application working with Dale & Associates.  As has become customary, this is for two 2-story skinny houses that require a side setback reduction from 5' to 3.' 

1121-25 Chester Ave (South Inglewood) "Woodland Grove" Cottage Development (PP64-69, Item 2014-054-001):  Woodland Street Partners cottage development proposal behind the Walgreens for 16 detached cottages/homes with 6 facing Chester and another five on each side along the property lines.  All parking in the rear off the alley.  CM Anthony Davis let me know that he has met with the immediate neighbors on Chester and there seems to be neighborhood support for this one.  I met with Brett Diaz of WSP recently and we discussed this one as well.  Unlike some "cottage developments," apparently these buildings are going to be smaller "cottages" and not a collection of tall/skinny houses tacked like fenceposts around a postage-size yard.  For comparison, the devastation of Cahal Avenue, or "Umbilical Alley" is notably visible from this parcel.

1106-1204 Litton Ave (South Inglewood) "East Nashville Condo" development (PP70-75, Item 2014SP-055-001):  This is the 2-building, 130-unit Kline Swinnery Associates condo project to go on the grassy area that fronts Litton Ave in front of the "Five Points Apartments" and is being developed by the owners of that apartment complex.  I attended the South Inglewood neighborhood meeting this Spring in which this item was presented.  Neighborhood reception was positive.  This should be really nice and actually affordable to middle-class people.  There is a drawing on PP74.

1223 N 6th St (SEC of 6th/Douglas in Cleveland Park) (PP92-97) to rezone from RS5 to RM20-A.  This would replace an existing house with a four-unit building fronting Douglas.  The Detailed Neighborhood Design Plan for Cleveland Park calls for higher density facing Douglas, so this seems to be in keeping with the East Nashville Community Plan document.  We will see what CPNA says at their meeting.

909 Manila (near Granada/McFerrin in Greenwood) (PP120-121:  2014S-151-001):  This is a lot subdivision of the remainder of the historic Lookaway property.  This item actually is deferred until August.  Aerial Dev acquired this property and will be requesting four lots on the north side of the property facing Granada Ave and possibly putting one house near the front of the property along Manila closest to McFerrin.  All of this land is inside the Greenwood Neighborhood CZO.  The historic (19th Century) Lookaway house is historically protected and will remain.  This information was presented at the June Greenwood neighborhood meeting.   Here is a link to Debbie Cox's Nashville History blog entry (July 8th) about the Lookaway house http://nashvillehistory.blogspot.com/.

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 1

I noticed a zoning sign in the front yard of 600 Fatherland...I think it's a duplex....not sure what's going on there? 

It isn't on the agenda for the 7/24 Planning Commission meeting. Do you know what date they have listed?  

I would be willing to bet that this is an SP for that property.  It is currently zoned R8 and doesn't need any zoning change to allow a duplex to be built there. However, in order to put three or more dwellings on that lot there will have to be a zoning change allowed by Planning and Council. I would look for this to allow up to 4 units on that land, all of which will probably face South 6th St. There is RM-20 on the other side of the alley from this project, so I bet the developers will say it is not out of character with the neighborhood.  Now whether or not the neighbors agree with that is another issue.

Edited by Hey_Hey

I noticed a zoning sign in the front yard of 600 Fatherland...I think it's a duplex....not sure what's going on there?

I don't know about a rezoning, but 600 Fatherland was on the agenda for last Wednesday's MHZC hearing. That ranch house is not contributing to the Edgefield HPZ district and can be demolished. The proposal is for a duplex, but it is the historic foursquare design, kind of like the one on the 600 block of Shelby. The application was supported by the Edgefield representation on the board of Rediscover East. Preston Quirk is the architect. I can't figure out how to paste links using the iPhone version of UP to show you the rendering.

I stopped by 600 Fatherland this morning. The rezoning sign was for the setback determination that was heard at Wednesday's MHZC hearing. Kind of unusual to have a rezoning sign for that. But the applicant was requesting a side setback reduction along the 6th Street side. That setback determination was approved along with the foursquare duplex design.

EDIT:  Here is the MHZC file for 600 Fatherland.  The setback determination was to reduce the side setback on the South 6th Street side from 10 feet to 8 feet.  Context photos are interspersed in the file and the architectural drawings are at the end of the document  http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/MHZC/docs/2014%20Meetings/07%20July%2016/SR%20600%20Fatherland%20St.pdf.

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 1

Getahn Ward has written an accurate, balanced Tennessean newspaper article on the Rosebank neighborhood's growth, particularly Arial Development's 62-unit East Greenway Park SP that recently passed at Council. This SP has been discussed at Rosebank neighborhood meetings for about a year and has gone through several revisions. Nevertheless, the SP remains controversial in that neighborhood.

Getahn's article hits all the bases: the facts are accurate, the actual name of the neighborhood is identified, and both Britnie Turner of Aerial Development and Josh Chesser, The Rosebank Neighbors President, are quoted to present differing viewpoints on the project.

Literally everything that was wrong with the "Three Points" article is right with Getahn's article. Good job, Getahn!

EDIT:  Here is a link to the article  http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2014/07/18/new-residential-development-headed-east-nashville/12856709/.

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 2

That land has been privately owned and was not platted with the rest of the neighborhood subdivisions in the 1960s. There is a 1930s bungalow at the corner of the property at Eastland and Rosebank. Perhaps they just sold off their outparcels and kept their wooded acreage? But obviously shortly after the Rosebank Dairy operation closed and gave way to subdivisions, demand for housing in East Nashville waned as the neighborhood either declined or stagnated at best.

So by some miracle that wooded acreage remained that way until now. It is not in a floodplane, but there are some steep slopes and other topographical features that this SP will seek to preserve. Metro Stormwater conducted an analysis of the rainwater effects on downslope properties including the Shelby Bottoms Greenway.

Building permit pulled yesterday for 519 Gallatin for Otis James Retail build-out.  This is the building at the SEC Stratton/Gallatin where Fuselage/the Rainbow Fashion store used to be.

Also, there is a community meeting on Thursday evening at the East Police Precint to discuss the SP proposal for the Rite Aid property at the NEC of Gallatin/West Eastland.

• Like 1

Looks like the cottage development at 731 Douglas Ave. is finally getting underway. This will be an interesting development as it's the most high density development this area has seen. As a homeowner in this neighborhood, I'm a little apprehensive, but Douglas is a busy street and great access to Ellington, so I think it's fitting for this particular space. Here is a link to William's article from last year.

http://nashvillepost.com/news/2013/9/13/cottage_style_infill_development_slated_for_east_side

Local Taco is having to get neighborhood permission to serve beer at the 1100 Fatherland building.  Those within a 400 foot radius?? have been notified that a meeting will take place August 5th regarding it.  Apparently, this is similar to a process that Beyond the Edge went through a number of years ago.  Not sure if this will green light Far East Nashville or A Matter of Taste to be able to serve beer.  It would make sense if they could, but it might change that corner a lot development-wise.

Typically, a resolution must be filed at the Council public hearing to seek permission to serve beer/alcohol if the location is within a certain number of feet of residential units.  The resolution is specific to the actual address and business.  It is not a zoning change and so it does not go to Planning but goes directly to Council.

So Local Taco could get neighborhood permission to serve alcohol through a public hearing in which neighbors could support or oppose the resolution, but that resolution would not extend to other businesses.  They would need to get the Council Member to file a resolution, pay for mailing notices within a certain buffer zone, and have their own Council public hearing. 

And that resolution is limited to that business at that location.  If Local Taco moved/closed, the next business to move in that spot would have to start over with the same process.  This is a pretty adequate public control over the serving of alcohol near houses.  Honestly, very few restaurants in neighborhoods would be able to serve alcohol if this provision were not in place.  The public would never allow a base zoning change to allow the serving of alcohol next door to houses without some sort of controls in place.

Edited by bwithers1

I guess what I was asking is would it be easier for a restaurant to get a beer license in this area if they have a precedent?  It would assume it would be easier.

Oh, I got you.  That's a good question.  Precedent is not a consideration here in the sense that it is used for rezoning decisions by the Planning Commission. 

Precedent would only enter this decision if neighbors expressed concern that they felt that the number of other places serving alcohol nearby was excessive, or if they had begun experiencing problems with other nearby existing businesses that have alcohol variance resolutions.  Under those circumstances, neighbors who might otherwise be supportive might become more inclined to oppose this request.  Does that make sense? 

It would still be up to the CM to move for approval or disapproval of the resolution by the full Council based upon constituent feedback at the hearing.  So the resolution deliberation is taken on a case-by-cases basis rather than on precedent.

Quick update from yesterday's Planning Commission hearing:

• 130 Marie has been deferred indefinitely by CM Scott Davis. 
  • 1008 Joseph was heard and approved.  Neighborhood opposition was expressed by UP contributor Dane Forlines and the Planning Commissioners' vote was split, but this item was still approved.  CM Scott Davis will continue working with Dale & Associates and the Cleveland Park neighborhood to modify this prior to approval at the Council.  I would look for this one to be debated at the Council's Planning, Zoning and Historic Committee.
  • The Woodland Grove cottage development on Chester was approved on Consent.  Woodland Street Partners are continuing to work with CM Anthony Davis on details and the Council bill has not yet been filed.  WSP anticipates a November Council public hearing.
  • The East Nashville Condo Project on Litton was approved on Consent.  Not certain about the Council bill schedule.
  • 1223 N 6th (6th/Douglas) was heard and approved.  This is a flat rezoning, not an SP, although designs have been discussed.  Some neighborhood opposition was expressed and the Commissioners debated some issues but this one ultimately passed.  Dale & Associates will work with CM Scott Davis and the Cleveland Park neighborhood on final designs and may file an SP prior to bringing this straight rezoning to Council. 
  • 909 Manila (2014S-151-001) in Greenwood was deferred.  More to follow.

Numerous East Nashville items appear on the docket for next Thursday's MPC hearing.  Here is a link to the staff reports http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/Planning/docs/MPCMeetings/2014/072414.pdf and a quick summary of East items:

130 Marie Street (Highland Heights) (PP24-29):  This is an old item that was previously deferred but shows up in the Staff Reports but not on the Agenda.  I'm not sure of the status.  It is another (!) Regal Homes 2-for-1 on a 50-foot single-family lot.  The usual Regal SP for two 2-story skinny houses that require a side setback reduction from 5' to 3.'  Planning staff previously recommended disapproval (and still are) because the lack of alley access means that the applicant would need to put a concrete parking lot in the front yard.  CM Scott Davis is working through some of these either (1) to disapprove these or (2) to amend them to something more palatable, if that is possible.  Add this one to the District 5 Drama list.

1008 Joseph Ave (Cleveland Park) (PP30-35, item 2014SP-048-001):  More District 5 Drama fodder.  Yet another (!) two-for-one SP to put two houses on one RS-zoned lot.  Yet again a Regal Homes SP application working with Dale & Associates.  As has become customary, this is for two 2-story skinny houses that require a side setback reduction from 5' to 3.' 

1121-25 Chester Ave (South Inglewood) "Woodland Grove" Cottage Development (PP64-69, Item 2014-054-001):  Woodland Street Partners cottage development proposal behind the Walgreens for 16 detached cottages/homes with 6 facing Chester and another five on each side along the property lines.  All parking in the rear off the alley.  CM Anthony Davis let me know that he has met with the immediate neighbors on Chester and there seems to be neighborhood support for this one.  I met with Brett Diaz of WSP recently and we discussed this one as well.  Unlike some "cottage developments," apparently these buildings are going to be smaller "cottages" and not a collection of tall/skinny houses tacked like fenceposts around a postage-size yard.  For comparison, the devastation of Cahal Avenue, or "Umbilical Alley" is notably visible from this parcel.

1106-1204 Litton Ave (South Inglewood) "East Nashville Condo" development (PP70-75, Item 2014SP-055-001):  This is the 2-building, 130-unit Kline Swinnery Associates condo project to go on the grassy area that fronts Litton Ave in front of the "Five Points Apartments" and is being developed by the owners of that apartment complex.  I attended the South Inglewood neighborhood meeting this Spring in which this item was presented.  Neighborhood reception was positive.  This should be really nice and actually affordable to middle-class people.  There is a drawing on PP74.

1223 N 6th St (SEC of 6th/Douglas in Cleveland Park) (PP92-97) to rezone from RS5 to RM20-A.  This would replace an existing house with a four-unit building fronting Douglas.  The Detailed Neighborhood Design Plan for Cleveland Park calls for higher density facing Douglas, so this seems to be in keeping with the East Nashville Community Plan document.  We will see what CPNA says at their meeting.

909 Manila (near Granada/McFerrin in Greenwood) (PP120-121:  2014S-151-001):  This is a lot subdivision of the remainder of the historic Lookaway property.  This item actually is deferred until August.  Aerial Dev acquired this property and will be requesting four lots on the north side of the property facing Granada Ave and possibly putting one house near the front of the property along Manila closest to McFerrin.  All of this land is inside the Greenwood Neighborhood CZO.  The historic (19th Century) Lookaway house is historically protected and will remain.  This information was presented at the June Greenwood neighborhood meeting.   Here is a link to Debbie Cox's Nashville History blog entry (July 8th) about the Lookaway house http://nashvillehistory.blogspot.com/.

• Like 1