Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

I know it signifies very little, but I saw surveyors taking some measurements on the lot adjacent to 5th & Main. One was also present on the SE corner of the 5th and Main intersection, so they may have been present there for a number of reasons.

Always encouraging to see activity in that area, regardless of the reason.

• Like 1

I know it signifies very little, but I saw surveyors taking some measurements on the lot adjacent to 5th & Main. One was also present on the SE corner of the 5th and Main intersection, so they may have been present there for a number of reasons.

Always encouraging to see activity in that area, regardless of the reason.

Part of this is for the proposed AMP. They have been surveying the entire street this week. I gave specifics about the lot last forum meet. I promised the architect I would not mention anything on the board about the lot next to 5th and Main, but I will share an update if I make the forum meet tomorrow.

Does anyone know specifics about building a 2 or 3 car detached garage in Lockeland Springs, on Fatherland? Basically how tough it is to get approved assuming it would be a very nice structure built to fit in with neighborhood architecture? I have seen quite a few get built, so it's definitely do-able...just not sure if one must jump through 2 or three hoops, or dozens of hoops...Also, is it legal/permissable to build a loft on top of the garage and rent it? I have heard a ton of conflicting anecdotal evidence, and just don't know where to go for 100% accurate info. Thanks everyone!

These are excellent questions.  I will take a stab at the answer.  But you will need to call the MHZC at 862-7970 for exact details based on specifics of your property.  The height of your house and historical details about accessory buildings on your block can make a lot of difference.

Technically, a garage and a detached accessory dwelling unit (DADU - typically an apartment over a garage) have different restrictions.  That is to say, there are almost no restrictions on the size of a garage (with no apartment), but there are restrictions on DADUs.

Garages and DADUs can be utilitarian in nature or can be made to look like they belong with the house.  But there is no requirement that they resemble the house.  It's a good idea but not required. 

The garage or any outbuilding must be subordinate to the house:  it cannot be taller than the main house, but there is no height or SF restriction per se for garages or non-DADU outbuildings.  No vinyl siding.  Hardie Board must be the non-embossed kind.  That's really about it in terms of materials.  The staff will want to know about roof materials but I have never seen roof materials on garages be disapproved.

Consequently, a simple garage request often only requires administrative approval, which can often be obtained within 24 hours.  There are never fees for MHZC reviews over and above your regular building permit fees. 

Now, when you put an apartment over a garage, it becomes a DADU.  Here is a link to the design guidelines information for DADUs http://www.nashville.gov/Historical-Commission/Services/Preservation-Permits/Districts-and-Design-Guidelines/Detached-Accessory-Dwelling-Units.aspx.  There are a few more restrictions for DADUs than for garages. 

1. Your lot must have R zoning (single- or two-family allowed on one lot), which you do have in Lockeland Springs.  If you were in a RS-zoned area, you could not legally have a DADU.  That's not a MHZC matter, that is a base zoning requirement that carried through in the recent county-wide DADU bill (BL2014-769).
  2. The primary structure (your house) must be a single-family home, because the DADU will count as the second residence on your lot.  You cannot have a duplex or apartment in your house and also have a DADU (that would be 3 residences on the lot).  Again, this not a MHZC matter but is a base zoning requirement.
  3. You will be required to file a restrictive covenant stating that the primary structure and the DADU have the same owner and cannot be sold separately.  The DADU does not count as a lot subdivision and is not eligible for a horizontal property regime.  Again, that's not a MHZC thing, it is a base zoning requirement.  The same requirement is in place for DADUs outside of historic districts now that DADUs have been expanded beyond historic districts by bill BL2014-769.
  4. Unlike a garage or outbuilding, a DADU (garage with an upstairs apartment) does have height and square footage restrictions.  See the link I provided for exact information.
  5. A DADU building permit may require a MHZC hearing.  So you will want to check with MHZC staff on that and if a hearing is required you will want to check the submission deadlines for upcoming hearing dates.

The really good news for you is that the MHZC has authority to adjust setbacks for garages and outbuildings including DADUs.  That is why inside a Conservation Zoning Overlay such as Lockeland Springs you could get a setback determination administratively through the MHZC at no cost to you that would otherwise require you to go to a BZA hearing with notice and permitting fees.  So in an Overlay the MHZC may be able to approve you to move the DADU closer to the alley than would ordinarily be the case so that you can keep more of your yard.  That really is one unsung benefit to the Overlays.

There are several local architects who have a lot of experience designing DADUs within the CZO design guidelines.  The MHZC staff may be able to recommend an architect if you want one.  I would recommend that because it is much more difficult to design small spaces than large ones.  An architect with experience building these will be able to help you get the most out of your small apartment space.

• Like 3

These are excellent questions.  I will take a stab at the answer.  But you will need to call the MHZC at 862-7970 for exact details based on specifics of your property.  The height of your house and historical details about accessory buildings on your block can make a lot of difference.

Technically, a garage and a detached accessory dwelling unit (DADU - typically an apartment over a garage) have different restrictions.  That is to say, there are almost no restrictions on the size of a garage (with no apartment), but there are restrictions on DADUs.

Garages and DADUs can be utilitarian in nature or can be made to look like they belong with the house.  But there is no requirement that they resemble the house.  It's a good idea but not required. 

The garage or any outbuilding must be subordinate to the house:  it cannot be taller than the main house, but there is no height or SF restriction per se for garages or non-DADU outbuildings.  No vinyl siding.  Hardie Board must be the non-embossed kind.  That's really about it in terms of materials.  The staff will want to know about roof materials but I have never seen roof materials on garages be disapproved.

Consequently, a simple garage request often only requires administrative approval, which can often be obtained within 24 hours.  There are never fees for MHZC reviews over and above your regular building permit fees. 

Now, when you put an apartment over a garage, it becomes a DADU.  Here is a link to the design guidelines information for DADUs http://www.nashville.gov/Historical-Commission/Services/Preservation-Permits/Districts-and-Design-Guidelines/Detached-Accessory-Dwelling-Units.aspx.  There are a few more restrictions for DADUs than for garages. 

1. Your lot must have R zoning (single- or two-family allowed on one lot), which you do have in Lockeland Springs.  If you were in a RS-zoned area, you could not legally have a DADU.  That's not a MHZC matter, that is a base zoning requirement that carried through in the recent county-wide DADU bill (BL2014-769).
  2. The primary structure (your house) must be a single-family home, because the DADU will count as the second residence on your lot.  You cannot have a duplex or apartment in your house and also have a DADU (that would be 3 residences on the lot).  Again, this not a MHZC matter but is a base zoning requirement.
  3. You will be required to file a restrictive covenant stating that the primary structure and the DADU have the same owner and cannot be sold separately.  The DADU does not count as a lot subdivision and is not eligible for a horizontal property regime.  Again, that's not a MHZC thing, it is a base zoning requirement.  The same requirement is in place for DADUs outside of historic districts now that DADUs have been expanded beyond historic districts by bill BL2014-769.
  4. Unlike a garage or outbuilding, a DADU (garage with an upstairs apartment) does have height and square footage restrictions.  See the link I provided for exact information.
  5. A DADU building permit may require a MHZC hearing.  So you will want to check with MHZC staff on that and if a hearing is required you will want to check the submission deadlines for upcoming hearing dates.

The really good news for you is that the MHZC has authority to adjust setbacks for garages and outbuildings including DADUs.  That is why inside a Conservation Zoning Overlay such as Lockeland Springs you could get a setback determination administratively through the MHZC at no cost to you that would otherwise require you to go to a BZA hearing with notice and permitting fees.  So in an Overlay the MHZC may be able to approve you to move the DADU closer to the alley than would ordinarily be the case so that you can keep more of your yard.  That really is one unsung benefit to the Overlays.

There are several local architects who have a lot of experience designing DADUs within the CZO design guidelines.  The MHZC staff may be able to recommend an architect if you want one.  I would recommend that because it is much more difficult to design small spaces than large ones.  An architect with experience building these will be able to help you get the most out of your small apartment space.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this, it is highly appreciated sir!

1627 Shelby is getting some pushback from at least a few neighbors who don't want retail there.

This is a high profile clothing store moving from NY and would be a big get for the profile of the neighborhood. 

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/morning_call/2014/07/rock-stylist-plans-boutique-in-former-east.html

Does emailing the planning commission help if one supports this project?

I think it's on the agenda for next week.

Who remembers the little historic corner grocery store at 17th/Shelby from our tour?  I think that Ron posted a photo of that building in his thread.  The owners are requesting and the Planning Commission is recommending approval of a Landmark Overlay District to include that property.  There is a possibility that Lockeland Springs will bridge their Overlay boundaries far enough to cover that portion of Shelby Ave, but that is far from certain.  They would have to bring their Overlay from Fatherland Street down across the really bad stuff on Boscobel in order to reach Shelby.  TN state law requires that historic districts be contiguous. 

But in some cases, individual properties like this one or stretches are opting for Landmark Overlay District status, which is like a Conservation Zoning Overlay but administered through the Planning Commission instead of the MHZC.  The historic homes on Gallatin Road opposite Litton School just went this route as well.  The Landmark Overlay District provides some land-use perks to the property owner in exchange for protecting the property.  In many cases, such as this one on Shelby, it provides a possibility for light commercial (such as retail) use in an otherwise residential zoning.  Sometimes that income-producing potential helps to generate revenue that keeps these buildings around.

• Like 1

1627 Shelby is getting some pushback from at least a few neighbors who don't want retail there.

This is a high profile clothing store moving from NY and would be a big get for the profile of the neighborhood. 

Similar to the baby boomers.  Once they get theirs, screw everybody else.

I hope it goes through in spite of these people.

• Like 3

I think it's an odd place for retail. I think that building would be much better used as a market or a more neighborhood friendly use, such as a bakery, cleaners or day care. Having said that, it's a commercial space and not being used, so more power to this retailer. I hope they get it opened and I hope they do well.

These NIMBY'S should be thrilled that it's not a check cashing place. In fact, this retailer should have pitched that idea first, then after the uproar, change it to retail and they would be seen as saints.

Edited by nashvillwill
  • Like 2

I think it's an odd place for retail. I think that building would be much better used as a market or a more neighborhood friendly use, such as a bakery, cleaners or day care. Having said that, it's a commercial space and not being used, so more power to this retailer. I hope they get it opened and I hope they do well.

These NIMBY'S should be thrilled that it's not a check cashing place. In fact, this retailer should have pitched that idea first, then after the uproar, change it to retail and they would be seen as saints.

That was definitely my initial reaction, but there are some questions about the mechanism used to go through the planning commission. There was also something about a landmark designation that I did not understand. I support reasonable commercial use, but I don't know enough about the procedures here to understand if there was an effort to work around the normal zoning request system.

The Local Taco needs to get permission from someone to put more food on their tacos, not overcharge for margaritas, and give out chips and salsa with all orders.

I was in Taqueria Del Sol on 12 South. Best Tacos in Nashville besides Mas Tacos which does NOT serve chips and salsa.  Mexicans were in there eating. None were eating chips and salsa. None of them were drinking alcohol. Only the white Americans were trying eating the non Mexican food on the menu. The owner, Tony, told me if he did not have the High Fructose Corn Syrup soda's and chips and salsa, he would not have any  business. He said that is why he stopped selling Mexican sodas with real sugar.

William and I had debated this for awhile. Chips and Salsa are NOT Mexican! Regardless of what Wikipedia says, I have never seen a Mexican in La Hacienda on 4th Avenue eating chips and salsa. That is an American thing along with all of those stupid names for items they have on Americanized Mexican restaurants. (There is no such thing as a  quesadilla, Gordita, Burrito, etc.. Mexicans have Tacos, Tamales made of real cornbread,  and Enchiladas.)

William and I respectfully disagree, but Mexicans do not eat chips and salsa. When I was in Mexico, chips and salsa were not on the menu.

Edited by Urban Architecture

I was in Taqueria Del Sol on 12 South. Best Tacos in Nashville besides Mas Tacos which does NOT serve chips and salsa.  Mexicans were in there eating. None were eating chips and salsa. None of them were drinking alcohol. Only the white Americans were trying eating the non Mexican food on the menu. The owner, Tony, told me if he did not have the High Fructose Corn Syrup soda's and chips and salsa, he would not have any  business. He said that is why he stopped selling Mexican sodas with real sugar.

William and I had debated this for awhile. Chips and Salsa are NOT Mexican! Regardless of what Wikipedia says, I have never seen a Mexican in La Hacienda on 4th Avenue eating chips and salsa. That is an American thing along with all of those stupid names for items they have on Americanized Mexican restaurants. (There is no such thing as a  quesadillaGordita, Burrito, etc.. Mexicans have Tacos and Enchiladas.)

William and I respectfully disagree, but Mexicans do not eat chips and salsa. When I was in Mexico, chips and salsa were not on the menu.

Thats why its called TEXMEX

On the contrary, these neighbors are not NIMBYs at all.  Have any of you spoken to the neighbors?  Because I have.  And I support the neighbors wholeheartedly. I wrote a letter as President of Eastwood Neighbors joining the Board of Directors of Lockeland Springs in opposing this application. Also joining are the President of East End Neighborhood Association, the board of directors of Edgefield, Rediscover East, and several business owners in the East Nashville area.

There are numerous problems with all of the arguments that I am seeing from many of you, my esteemed friends.

First and foremost is that the decision NOT to include commercial uses at 1627 Shelby has been reiterated by the East Nashville community for 30 years.  The MDHA Five Points Redevelopment District that created Five Points in the 1980s included 11th/Woodland and has arms that extend out to 16th/Ordway (Sweet 16 Bakery) and 17th/Fatherland (now The Post/Olive and Sinclair).  That decision in the 1980s evaluated all kinds of locations that would be appropriate for commercial use and 1627 Shelby was specifically excluded.  The RUDAT plan in the 1990s confirmed the prior decision to allow commercial use at 17th/Fatherland but not 1627 Shelby.  The East Nashville Community Plan that was published in 2006 with massive community input again confirmed that the community did not want rezoning to commercial to take place at 1627 Shelby.  There have been land use policy amendments to the East Nashville Community Plan since 2006:  Riverside Village NC was expanded/amended, Cahal/Porter/Riverside was only just recently expanded, Rosebank/Riverside was amended, the Neighborhood Center at West Eastland/McFerrin was expanded fairly recently.  All with at least majority community support.  1627 Shelby has never received community support for commercial use.  The landlords attempted to rezone for commercial use at this site in 2007 and the community opposed it then not so much out of a particular opposition to any and all commercial use, but rather to the specific commercial use that was proposed at that time.  Fortunately, at that time, Councilman Jameson listened to the community. 

That is why the Neighborhood Landmark District tack is being taken.  The Neighborhood Landmark District provides additional land uses above base zoning in exchange for the preservation of the building, and if the building is removed, the additional land uses go away that the parcel returns to base zoning (residential only).  The Neighborhood Landmark District rezoning is an effective tool in certain circumstances with certain properties.  But since this building is protected by a Conservation Zoning Overlay, the neighborhood does not see that there is any need to grant additional land uses in exchange for preservation of the building, which is already pretty much guaranteed.

The problem this time is that Council Member Westerholm filed for this rezoning without even bothering to contact the neighborhood association president to get on an agenda for a neighborhood meeting.  I'm sorry, that's a recipe for the disaster that we are seeing.  Honestly, had the Council Member bothered to ensure that neighbors were consulted before allowing this filing, we could potentially be sitting here talking about how great it is that the community changed their minds this time and decided to allow a commercial use with some limitations.  Instead, we have a tenant make a unilateral decision to operate a business from a residential-only area, then get caught, then have to do a bunch of back pedaling, then have the Council Member impose his will on the community and state to the community that he is unwilling to listen to neighbor concerns at all even for compromises.  That is a disaster.

That is not an effective way to handle a rezoning. It's not effective for the community, and frankly it's not effective for the property owners or especially the business owners.  Who would want to open a business immediately - and I mean immediately - next to neighbors who are that opposed to your operation?  What are your odds of success?

I agree that it seems plausible that some kinds of businesses could go in this spot.  And some neighbors agree with that view.  But many neighbors feel that this particular business - which many of the neighbors actually like a lot - does not belong at this particular spot. This particular business could go up two blocks to 17th/Fatherland, which already has appropriate zoning, almost anywhere in Five Points, Walden, PorterEast, Riverside Village, or just about any spot on Main Street/Gallatin Road.  That is where this business belongs and where it can thrive, including with the fashion industry events that the store wants to throw at all hours of the night.

That is all.  I wish Mr. Clancy well.

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 4

John,

Chips and salsa are authentic to Mexico. The distinction is how Americans shovel it into their mouths (myself include) in excess quantities. I've eaten at La Hacienda at least 10 times (visited two weeks ago) and have seen many Mexicans eating chips and salsa so I don't know why you haven't seen likewise. A simple Google search reveals the authenticity of both items.

I make a distinction between "foods authentic to Mexico" and "how Americans eat authentic Mexican food and how Mexicans eat authentic Mexican food."

WW

On the contrary, these neighbors are not NIMBYs at all.  Have any of you spoken to the neighbors?  Because I have.  And I support the neighbors wholeheartedly. I wrote a letter as President of Eastwood Neighbors joining the Board of Directors of Lockeland Springs in opposing this application. Also joining are the President of East End Neighborhood Association, the board of directors of Edgefield, Rediscover East, and several business owners in the East Nashville area.

There are numerous problems with all of the arguments that I am seeing from many of you, my esteemed friends.

First and foremost is that the decision NOT to include commercial uses at 1627 Shelby has been reiterated by the East Nashville community for 30 years.  The MDHA Five Points Redevelopment District that created Five Points in the 1980s included 11th/Woodland and has arms that extend out to 16th/Ordway (Sweet 16 Bakery) and 17th/Fatherland (now The Post/Olive and Sinclair).  That decision in the 1980s evaluated all kinds of locations that would be appropriate for commercial use and 1627 Shelby was specifically excluded.  The RUDAT plan in the 1990s confirmed the prior decision to allow commercial use at 17th/Fatherland but not 1627 Shelby.  The East Nashville Community Plan that was published in 2006 with massive community input again confirmed that the community did not want rezoning to commercial to take place at 1627 Shelby.  There have been land use policy amendments to the East Nashville Community Plan since 2006:  Riverside Village NC was expanded/amended, Cahal/Porter/Riverside was only just recently expanded, Rosebank/Riverside was amended, the Neighborhood Center at West Eastland/McFerrin was expanded fairly recently.  All with at least majority community support.  1627 Shelby has never received community support for commercial use.  The landlords attempted to rezone for commercial use at this site in 2007 and the community opposed it then not so much out of a particular opposition to any and all commercial use, but rather to the specific commercial use that was proposed at that time.  Fortunately, at that time, Councilman Jameson listened to the community. 

That is why the Neighborhood Landmark District tack is being taken.  The Neighborhood Landmark District provides additional land uses above base zoning in exchange for the preservation of the building, and if the building is removed, the additional land uses go away that the parcel returns to base zoning (residential only).  The Neighborhood Landmark District rezoning is an effective tool in certain circumstances with certain properties.  But since this building is protected by a Conservation Zoning Overlay, the neighborhood does not see that there is any need to grant additional land uses in exchange for preservation of the building, which is already pretty much guaranteed.

The problem this time is that Council Member Westerholm filed for this rezoning without even bothering to contact the neighborhood association president to get on an agenda for a neighborhood meeting.  I'm sorry, that's a recipe for the disaster that we are seeing.  Honestly, had the Council Member bothered to ensure that neighbors were consulted before allowing this filing, we could potentially be sitting here talking about how great it is that the community changed their minds this time and decided to allow a commercial use with some limitations.  Instead, we have a tenant make a unilateral decision to operate a business from a residential-only area, then get caught, then have to do a bunch of back pedaling, then have the Council Member impose his will on the community and state to the community that he is unwilling to listen to neighbor concerns at all even for compromises.  That is a disaster.

That is not an effective way to handle a rezoning. It's not effective for the community, and frankly it's not effective for the property owners or especially the business owners.  Who would want to open a business immediately - and I mean immediately - next to neighbors who are that opposed to your operation?  What are your odds of success?

I agree that it seems plausible that some kinds of businesses could go in this spot.  And some neighbors agree with that view.  But many neighbors feel that this particular business - which many of the neighbors actually like a lot - does not belong at this particular spot. This particular business could go up two blocks to 17th/Fatherland, which already has appropriate zoning, almost anywhere in Five Points, Walden, PorterEast, Riverside Village, or just about any spot on Main Street/Gallatin Road.  That is where this business belongs and where it can thrive, including with the fashion industry events that the store wants to throw at all hours of the night.

That is all.  I wish Mr. Clancy well.

My god.  They're going to turn East Nashville into 12South.  Boohoo there is an EVENT going on at ALL HOURS OF THE NIGHT.  WE MUST DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

Wish I had $500k+ laying around so I could live within walking distance from these awesome spots but alas I'm slumming it up here in north Inglewood where all I can walk to are discount tobacco stores.  Sucks to be a poors.

My god.  They're going to turn East Nashville into 12South.  Boohoo there is an EVENT going on at ALL HOURS OF THE NIGHT.  WE MUST DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

Wish I had $500k+ laying around so I could live within walking distance from these awesome spots but alas I'm slumming it up here in north Inglewood where all I can walk to are discount tobacco stores.  Sucks to be a poors.

LOL! Many houses in Inglewood are worth a lot more than my place here in 5th and Main

John,

Chips and salsa are authentic to Mexico. The distinction is how Americans shovel it into their mouths (myself include) in excess quantities. I've eaten at La Hacienda at least 10 times (visited two weeks ago) and have seen many Mexicans eating chips and salsa so I don't know why you haven't seen likewise. A simple Google search reveals the authenticity of both items.

I make a distinction between "foods authentic to Mexico" and "how Americans eat authentic Mexican food and how Mexicans eat authentic Mexican food."

WW

I think you're right that Chips and Salsa as a combination is technically a Mexican thing, but only in certain parts of Mexico.  I'm not sure what parts of Mexico John has been to, but the cuisine from region to region is just as diverse, if not more so, than it is here in the states.  Naturally, the foods that have become the most popular in the U.S. (although John is right that much of what most Americans know as Mexican food is just a mutation of the original) is generally the stuff from the Mexican states closest to the border (i.e. Sonora, Nuevo Leon, Baja California etc.).  Go to a place like Oaxaca though, for example, and you'll be eating stuff like roasted goat in black mole' and spiced fried grasshoppers.  Go to Veracruz and it's clam ceviche and pork in pumpkin/peanut sauce.  So when one says 'Mexican food is this or that' it's like saying that "Americans" don't eat fried okra and chitlins based off of a trip to Vermont. 

• Like 3

A wine bar, rather than a sports bar, for the 5th and Main restaurant space:   http://nashville.eater.com/archives/2014/08/11/the-vine-is-coming-to-fifth-and-main.php 

We  are getting both. The wine bar is called Vine and the sports/bacon bar is called something else.

Yup--we have two spaces, not one!

With any luck, maybe the two of these can build off of each other and create some sort of consistent traffic. A brilliant idea would be for the two to combine their resources for a top-notch valet operation. I can't see anything else solving the ever-present parking struggles that past tenants have faced.

A new 65 unit four story apartment building proposed on West Eastland, close to the Rite Aide on Galliton.

https://t.e2ma.net/click/7n1sl/3gpv4j/zp95re

I can't read the article, but I'm guessing it's for the existing parking lot behind the Rite Aide. I think it's a good use of the land, but it's right where the S-curve is. The driver in me says "great, maybe they will straighten it now". The pedestrian/cyclist/resident in me says "oh no, that S-curve really slows down traffic. I hope they don't remove it".

Either way, they need to take that s-curve seriously. Drivers dive into that thing at speed. If they make a blind corner with a building and then put an entrance at that corner, there will be some serious accidents there.

Edited by nashvillwill

I think you're right that Chips and Salsa as a combination is technically a Mexican thing, but only in certain parts of Mexico.  I'm not sure what parts of Mexico John has been to, but the cuisine from region to region is just as diverse, if not more so, than it is here in the states.  Naturally, the foods that have become the most popular in the U.S. (although John is right that much of what most Americans know as Mexican food is just a mutation of the original) is generally the stuff from the Mexican states closest to the border (i.e. Sonora, Nuevo Leon, Baja California etc.).  Go to a place like Oaxaca though, for example, and you'll be eating stuff like roasted goat in black mole' and spiced fried grasshoppers.  Go to Veracruz and it's clam ceviche and pork in pumpkin/peanut sauce.  So when one says 'Mexican food is this or that' it's like saying that "Americans" don't eat fried okra and chitlins based off of a trip to Vermont. 

Well put, BnaBreaker.

WW

I can't read the article, but I'm guessing it's for the existing parking lot behind the Rite Aide. I think it's a good use of the land, but it's right where the S-curve is. The driver in me says "great, maybe they will straighten it now". The pedestrian/cyclist/resident in me says "oh no, that S-curve really slows down traffic. I hope they don't remove it".

Either way, they need to take that s-curve seriously. Drivers dive into that thing at speed. If they make a blind corner with a building and then put an entrance at that corner, there will be some serious accidents there.

that's the spot, NVW.

It will go from behind the paywall tomorrow morning.

WW