Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

That SP at 1035 West Eastland was presented at the Greenwood Neighbors Association meeting in July and there was a subsequent community meeting at the East Precinct on July 24th.  Quite a few folks are trying to find a way to straighten out the Gallatin/Eastland dog-leg intersection.  As of July 24th, it was not yet clear what if any impact that right-of-way resevation would have on this project. 

There is another large project proposed just across the street where Sophie's Heart is presently located.  The rendering that I saw was about six stories.  More to follow.

My god.  They're going to turn East Nashville into 12South.  Boohoo there is an EVENT going on at ALL HOURS OF THE NIGHT.  WE MUST DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

Wish I had $500k+ laying around so I could live within walking distance from these awesome spots but alas I'm slumming it up here in north Inglewood where all I can walk to are discount tobacco stores.  Sucks to be a poors.

The LSNA president and I met with some neighbors on Sunday and with CM Westerholm last night.  We are trying to see what kind of a compromise we can work out prior to Thursday's hearing.  Perhaps there are some specific uses that neighbors would be comfortable having next door?

But honestly, I completely agree with neighbors' concerns about allowing retail uses here.  What if we agree to retail for this great store called Any Old Iron, but then they move out and we get a Cricket Store or a Hair World?  And instead of being on Gallatin Road, it is literally next to your house?  Neighbors are prudent to express concerns not only about this particular business, but what other things could follow.  Retail is a wide-open category of commercial use. 

Even office uses are pretty wide open:  office uses include check cashing businesses. 

And sometimes businesses are successful and catch fire and the neighborhood becomes a victim of its own success.  That's definitely the case with Holland House/The Pharmacy.  Neighbors expressed concerns about parking at first, and their fears were more than justified.  Nobody in Greenwood ever thought that there would be people standing in a line in front of their houses for the burger joint down the street. 

• Like 1

They should move to the 'burbs if they're worried about parking and crowds.

It's just very frustrating watching other neighborhoods turn away development while some of us really want something other than a Discount Tobacco near us.

Then you and your neighbors should court those businesses rather than telling people in other neighborhoods what you want in their hood.

While East Nashville is definitely an in-town neighborhood, most of it is not very urban at all. I guess it is 'Nashville' urban...but mind you, we're still talking SFH on 1/4-1/6th acre lots. Tell them to move to the burbs? This isn't Midtown, or even Germantown. In most cities, it might as well be the burbs. 

If the city had adequate public transit (and more late nite transit), then I could see how one could brush off the parking and crowds. But that is not the case. Neighbors have a reasonable expectation that the proposed business be able to handle its customers, the vast majority of which will arrive by car. 

• Like 2

I don't think anyone is proposing they have things "forced" onto them, but you don't find it the slightest bit absurd that these folks make the choice to move to or continue living within two or three miles of the downtown of a large American metropolis, but complain about the fact that there are sometimes people around?  I mean I know East Nashville isn't The Bronx, but it isn't Spring Hill either.  I could understand if people were camping out in their front yards while they wait for their seats, but that isn't the case at all.  They're essentially complaining about people just being in the general vicinity.  Doesn't that kinda come with the territory when you live in an urban neighborhood? 

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 1

I don't feel like it's complaining that there are people around. They even have 'people around' in burbs like Spring Hill. They even have mixed use neighborhoods in Franklin, and places like Lennox Village. But people moved into those places knowing full well that some of the retail might be open late...and those places have dedicated retail parking.

I think the much bigger point in all of this discussion is the how, not the what. The way this happened is the key. Whether or not residents get a final say in the matter is one thing, but trying to slip something in without the proper approach...without letting residents pose questions and voice concerns. That is the issue. Sometimes, after residents are INFORMED properly, they become more supportive, rather than letting their fears feed off of mystery and rumor.

• Like 2

Then you and your neighbors should court those businesses rather than telling people in other neighborhoods what you want in their hood.

I somehow doubt that a business that wants to move into an affluent part of East Nashville (Lockeland Springs) will want anything to do with my part of Inglewood.  Courting or not.

They even have 'people around' in burbs like Spring Hill.

So we're comparing Lockeland Springs to Spring Hill?  Yes, the density issues are EXACTLY the same.

I think the much bigger point in all of this discussion is the how, not the what. The way this happened is the key. Whether or not residents get a final say in the matter is one thing, but trying to slip something in without the proper approach...without letting residents pose questions and voice concerns. That is the issue. Sometimes, after residents are INFORMED properly, they become more supportive, rather than letting their fears feed off of mystery and rumor.

They even have mixed use neighborhoods in Franklin, and places like Lennox Village. But people moved into those places knowing full well that some of the retail might be open late...and those places have dedicated retail parking.

So what is their end game here?  Thwart every business that wants to move in or is it just a matter zoning laws, whether followed to the letter, skirted, or otherwise?  They do realize it's just going to get worse from here on out? 

Something something progress.

They say youth is wasted on the young.  I say awesome housing close to bars/restaurants/whatever is wasted on the old.

We're not Qatar building the World Cup stadiums over here.  Come on.

Look, I'm not really on one side or the other in terms of this particular development -- but I can easily understand the neighbors concerns.

You say 'deal with it, you live in an urban area'. Would you sing the same tune if it was a check cashing or a discount tobacco and alcohol joint?

We make fun of neighborhood groups from time to time for their opposition to certain developments -- but is it an entirely bad thing that people are allowed to voice their opinions and raise concerns?

You say 'deal with it, you live in an urban area'. Would you sing the same tune if it was a check cashing or a discount tobacco and alcohol joint?

We make fun of neighborhood groups from time to time for their opposition to certain developments -- but is it an entirely bad thing that people are allowed to voice their opinions and raise concerns?

I'd jokingly say "hey join the club, I've got two of those near me!"  But we know those types of places aren't going to move in there due to the neighborhood demographic/rent.

And no, not a bad thing they're expressing their opinions. 

The building next to 5th and Main is on track, so I have heard for a September groundbreaking. No rendering yet. 5 stories. Apartments. No retail.

Town homes to go next to the Braeden United Methodist Church on the empty lot.

Hrmph. Let's hope for some solid construction that helps our property values. It'll be good to have some additional residents closeby to influence infill, even if they don't directly supply any retail. They'll at least be good candidates for regular attendance at our new watering holes out front!

The building next to 5th and Main is on track, so I have heard for a September groundbreaking. No rendering yet. 5 stories. Apartments. No retail.

It'll be nice to see that lot filled in. It's a shame that it won't include retail, although given how difficult it's been for 5th & Main to keep its retail spots filled, it's probably no surprise.

Now, about that gas station across the street ...

Edited by Jamie Hall

I hope the West Eastland development will include parking sufficient for the tenants and the patrons of whatever stores they stick in there. That building will be right next to blocks of West Eastland and Chicamauga that are already pretty badly affected by people parking to eat at Holland House, Mas Tacos, and the Pharmacy.

Welcome to the forum 1nm.

Bwithers on this forum should be able to give you more information on that. I do know there are requirements for parking for most of the developments being done. I am not sure of the requirements in E. Nash., but in other areas I think it is 1.5 parking spots per unit. That is just trying to recall from memory as I do not have to deal with that on a daily basis.

I hope the West Eastland development will include parking sufficient for the tenants and the patrons of whatever stores they stick in there. That building will be right next to blocks of West Eastland and Chicamauga that are already pretty badly affected by people parking to eat at Holland House, Mas Tacos, and the Pharmacy.

Yes, Joni Priest from Hastings has done a terrific  job explaining this project at community meetings.  One of the things that Iike best about this proposal is that it will include quite a few one-bedroom and efficiency units.  We desperately need those in East Nashville.  Not everybody needs a 3/2.  We actually need tons more small units. 

But parking is not going to be the issue either for the residential or retail tenants for this project. Thank goodness all of these people can walk to Holland House/Pharmacy/Mas Tacos/Kroger/Hair World/Hair World/Hair World.  One interesting fact about this lot it is that it has a deeded parking access easement with the 2-story parking deck behind the Rite Aid.  So that is yet more overflow parking available. 

The concern that I and another neighborhood leader expressed at the hearing is about the need to correct that Gallatin/Eastland intersection.  Between this project and the very large project proposed across the street, there will be a lot more people traveling through that already bad intersection.  You will be pleased to know that we are advocating FOR these dense projects located where they should be along an arterial BUT we are trying to apply pressure to Public Works to establish a path for correcting that offset intersection before the final site plans are approved and you need a helicopter to get into/out of East Nashville. 

The mixed used development on W. Eastland is going before the planning commission today for a zoning change. It's recommended for approval with conditions. Does anyone know what those conditions are?

I'm trying to remember what the conditions were.  What I recall from the presentation is that the building height will be a little taller on West Eastland and a little lower on the Bailey Street side, and that all of the commercial will front West Eastland, with the Bailey Street side street frontage being all residential.  That is an appropriate transition between the Gallatin commercial corridor and the residential interior of the Greenwood neighborhood.

Welcome to the forum 1nm.

Bwithers on this forum should be able to give you more information on that. I do know there are requirements for parking for most of the developments being done. I am not sure of the requirements in E. Nash., but in other areas I think it is 1.5 parking spots per unit. That is just trying to recall from memory as I do not have to deal with that on a daily basis.

Yes, inside the Urban Zoning Overlay the requirement is just 1.5 spots per unit for multifamily residential.  The other thing about the Urban Zoning Overlay is that the first 1,000 SF of retail spaces are exempt from any parking requirements.  That is why we are battling some of these retail/restaurant spaces that are wanting to rezone from residential to commercial.  They are small spaces and would have no parking requirements, but then some press get ahold of them and our quiet neighborhood streets turn into parking lots. 

• Like 1