Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

Douglas Market Lofts (3 stories, 16 units, ground level retail) update. Brick work nearly complete.  I presume it will be painted, because the mishmash of colors looks bad.

Looking NE from Douglas Ave., 1/2 block east of Stainback Ave:

Douglas Market Lofts, May 19, 2019, 1.jpg

Looking NW from intersection of Douglas Ave. and Lischey Ave:

Douglas Market Lofts, May 19, 2019, 2.jpg

• Like 2

Anyone know anything about 930 McFerrin?

http://maps.nashville.gov/MPC/2019SP-027-001_plan.pdf?fbclid=IwAR1elbAIP6h-bXrhJvanaInjDsEsEzm4NenFUko5gR7PTNyLzRNkewZuugQ

Looks reasonable enough to me and the SP prohibits short term rentals.

There's one neighbor on the warpath against this so I'll be curious to see what happens...

• Like 2

On 6/8/2019 at 4:31 PM, PruneTracy said:

Ugh, I can tell an architect designed that porte-cochère

I'm gonna take this as sarcasm so that my profession isnt offended :tw_yum:

19 hours ago, 37206dude said:

http://maps.nashville.gov/MPC/2019SP-027-001_plan.pdf?fbclid=IwAR1elbAIP6h-bXrhJvanaInjDsEsEzm4NenFUko5gR7PTNyLzRNkewZuugQ

There's one neighbor on the warpath against this so I'll be curious to see what happens...

Don't know much about the project itself. They have already started clearing land for the Mixed Use portion of the project. I'm not really sure how businesses will survive tucked away like that, but they are banking on the popularity of The Pharmacy and Mas Tacos and maybe they will attract buisnesses like Fatherland or Idea Hatchery. @DJIII may know more.

• Like 3

On 6/10/2019 at 1:35 PM, 37206dude said:

I'm all in favor of introducing new form factors, adding to our housing stock, etc., but this looks pretty awkward. Pedestrian access looks bad, and what the heck is a "parking bosque"? The whole thing would be a lot easier to put together if you just did a couple of rows of townhomes. I'm constantly amazed by how far we contort ourselves to avoid building townhomes, which is how growing cities have handled increased demand for housing for a thousand years. But for whatever reason, persons of the NIMBY inclination seem to be more accepting of "cottages" even though they're a worse end result from a dozen different angles, from green space to utility bills.

image.thumb.png.c51a3a2c75c1f53899401799adf42695.png

• Like 1

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2019/06/12/exclusive-developer-lines-up-second-boutique-hotel.html?ana=TRUEANTHEMTWT_NA&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_content=5d01252afe86c30001b48180&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

Micah Lacher, president of Anchor Investments, which developed The Russell, plans to convert Eastside Church of Christ into a boutique hotel and food and beverage space. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another church building in East Nashville will be converted into a boutique hotel by the same folks who just opened The Russell.  Anchor Investments has bought the Eastside Church of Christ property at 2518 Gallatin Pike in East Nashville for $3 million, and plan a n $8 million build out.  The property consists of two buildings totaling roughly 24,000 square feet, twice the size of The Russell. They plan to convert the historic church’s Sunday school building into a boutique hotel, while morphing the sanctuary into a food and beverage area, that might have two restaurants.  The hotel portion is expected to have around 26 rooms.

The church was built in 1925 and was renovated in the 1960s, including the addition of the Sunday school building.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/commercial-real-estate/article/21072811/developer-eyes-second-hotel-for-east-side

And behind the NBJ paywall here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2019/06/12/exclusive-developer-lines-up-second-boutique-hotel.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 12.32.22 PM.png

The map below shows the location of the church in the center of the frame (not highlighted yet):

Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 12.43.42 PM.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AronG said:

The whole thing would be a lot easier to put together if you just did a couple of rows of townhomes. I'm constantly amazed by how far we contort ourselves to avoid building townhomes, which is how growing cities have handled increased demand for housing for a thousand years. But for whatever reason, persons of the NIMBY inclination seem to be more accepting of "cottages" even though they're a worse end result from a dozen different angles, from green space to utility bills.

Part of the reason we rarely see true terraced housing is because even with modern fire codes it's still cheaper to build a single building with firewalls between units than to build structural party walls. In some cases the developer would also have to build and deed over a public street (as opposed to a narrower and simpler driveway that remains private property). It's unfortunate because the end result (an HOA covering multi-family buildings) is a long-term unsustainable ownership arrangement whereas townhouses are much more flexible.

• Like 3

Hyatt House Airport (4 stories, 128 rooms) update. Foundation work underway.

Looking south from Century Blvd., 1/2 block north of Marriott Drive:

Hyatt House, Century Blvd, May 26, 2019, 1.jpg

Looking north from Century Blvd, at edge of Embassy Suites property:

Hyatt House, Century Blvd, May 26, 2019, 2.jpg

Looking NE from Century Blvd, at edge of Embassy Suites property:

Hyatt House, Century Blvd, May 26, 2019, 3.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, billgregg55 said:

The de-churching of East Nashville continues at a rapid pace. As a heathen I have no feelings one way or another about the phenomenon apart from awe at seeing a historic cultural and demographic shift transpire over such a short period of time. I could rattle off a dozen EN church locations that have been abandoned or repurposed over the last six to eight years, and I'm pretty sure a thorough survey would turn up several times that number.

The same thing has happened in the Charlotte Ave Corridor and the Nations, and also to a lesser extent in the 12 S area. A lot of these churches are or were neighborhood churches and the demographics have changed a lot over the past 10 years or so. 

This is not just a Nashville thing but a nationwide trend as church attendance drops in the US, such as the Churches of Christ and the Southern Baptist which lost a million members in the 10 years previous to 2017 and those trends are continuing. I am not just singling those two out as the US Catholic Church and the Methodist Church numbers have been declining as well. I am sure these numbers will sustain themselves across all denominations in the US.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, billgregg55 said:

The de-churching of East Nashville continues at a rapid pace. As a heathen I have no feelings one way or another about the phenomenon apart from awe at seeing a historic cultural and demographic shift transpire over such a short period of time. I could rattle off a dozen EN church locations that have been abandoned or repurposed over the last six to eight years, and I'm pretty sure a thorough survey would turn up several times that number.

That does seem to be a national trend, and from what I've been told, those old churches require a tremendous amount of maintenance and upkeep that's really not affordable when the regular congregation is just 30-40 people.

• Like 1