Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

I think this is a brilliant idea! Next big question will be, obviously, funding for a project of this scope. A private/public partnership would be ideal. Perhaps a sponsorship opportunity for a new business putting down roots in the area...Alexa are you listening? Amazon could literally be written all over this civic project!

• Like 4

16 hours ago, markhollin said:

The Nashville Civic Design Center has released a concept for a hypothetical capping of the Cumberland River that would combine the Main Street andWoodland Street Bridges.  It would feature a park, plaza, water features.

As envisioned, the park would be about 1,000 feet long and 350 feet wide, thereby creating 350,000 square feet of new useable space.

“Extending west from Public Square, the park would provide for a signature public space connector while promoting more green space in the largely asphalt-covered East Bank,” the study reads. “This location also presents an opportunity to continue development of the East Bank Greenway and connectivity within the Music City Greenway.”

You can see the study here:

https://www.civicdesigncenter.org/news/2019/06/27/victory-memorial-bridge-park.3687705

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21075607/design-center-study-shows-cumberland-capping

Victory Memorial Bridge Park, June 28, 2019, render 1.png

Victory Memorial Bridge Park, June 28, 2019, render 2.png

Victory Memorial Bridge Park, June 28, 2019, render 3.png

Victory Memorial Bridge Park, June 28, 2019, render 4.png

Victory Memorial Bridge Park, June 28, 2019, render 5.png

Victory Memorial Bridge Park, June 28, 2019, render 6.png

Victory Memorial Bridge Park, June 28, 2019, render 13.png

At the end of the presentation, this total proposed design grid for the East Bank from about a year ago (Amazon HQ2 is referenced) was shown, which I have never seen before:

East Bank layout, Nashville Civic Design Committee, June 28, 2019, map.png

Aside from just creating new space for a park, what is the rationale for capping the river? Wouldn't it be better to cap the interstate? Or reroute the portions of the interstate loop that cut off East and North Nashville? I know it's (hopefully) just a design exercise, but this seems a bit out of touch

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Nashvillain said:

Aside from just creating new space for a park, what is the rationale for capping the river? Wouldn't it be better to cap the interstate? Or reroute the portions of the interstate loop that cut off East and North Nashville? I know it's (hopefully) just a design exercise, but this seems a bit out of touch

I think all of the interstates need to be capped, but I prefer this east bank to be capped first... I believe it will create enough synergies to finally get the parking lots and the PSC Metals site the finally be developed.

The interstates around The Gulch are already being developed.  

• Like 3

This is just an exercise for students and will never happen and it should not happen as the river should never be blocked as it is an asset itself.

The expense of the project would be well beyond thepayoff.

Besides, what happens underneath this monstrosity? It would just become a haven for the criminal element of the homeless community as a place to camp as Metro police would never go underneath to clear it out. It would sort of end of being like one of those bad futuristic sci fi movies with a sub culture living below.

• Like 1

Guess you have never been down to any of the homeless encampments as they will go places you would never imagine. There are all kinds of little level places that they will put tents and shelters up. So etimes you can only see them from the river, but they are there. However this si still a mute conversation as capping the river will never happen. Too exspensive and we will probably never see the interstate capped either. There is just too much available land available to be developed.

On 6/29/2019 at 1:44 PM, nashvylle said:

I think all of the interstates need to be capped, but I prefer this east bank to be capped first... I believe it will create enough synergies to finally get the parking lots and the PSC Metals site the finally be developed.

The interstates around The Gulch are already being developed.  

The PSC Metals site is already developed

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/28/2019 at 1:05 PM, markhollin said:

Another craft brewery is coming to East Nashville: Crazy Gnome Brewery will operate from 948 Main St, in the structure that used to house Transmission Exchange  immediately behind Main Street Liquor.  Plans are to be open by the end of the year.  

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/food-business/article/21075533/east-nashville-set-for-latest-brewery

Never heard of these guys but I will never turn down another brewery.

Eastside wins again.

The Grand Ole Opry House has opened a new custom built theater called The Circle Room that features a film history of the 94 year old institution. It is the final piece in a $12 million expansion and renovation to enhance the Opry guest experience that also includes a new retail store, upgraded food/beverage shops, plaza, and additional parking.

More at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/entertainment/music/2019/07/05/garth-brooks-trisha-yearwood-grand-ole-opry-mini-movie/1639434001/

Screen Shot 2019-07-07 at 10.09.56 AM.png

• Like 3

1 minute ago, markhollin said:

Yazoo Taproom and Brewery will have its grand opening this Friday,July 12th, 2-9PM at their new location on 6.5 acres at 900 River Bluff Drive in Madison. $5 million has been spent on the 5,000 sq. ft. taproom and 24, 000 sq. ft. brewery. It features an outdoor patio tat wraps the building. 

Screen Shot 2019-07-09 at 2.55.13 PM.png

Looks great!     I don't get up Madison-ways very often so it may be a while before I see the new digs.     btw, the bar/tap wall setup in the photo above looks eerily similar to the existing taproom on Division.    

6 hours ago, CenterHill said:

Looks great!     I don't get up Madison-ways very often so it may be a while before I see the new digs.     btw, the bar/tap wall setup in the photo above looks eerily similar to the existing taproom on Division.    

Why don't many people like traveling through Madison? I've always found it a decent place, though a bit sketchy in some areas.

1 hour ago, OnePointEast said:

Why don't many people like traveling through Madison? I've always found it a decent place, though a bit sketchy in some areas.

Ha.  It’s not that I don’t like Madison, I simply have nothing that takes me up there.    Maybe now I do!   

• Like 1

On 7/9/2019 at 3:01 PM, markhollin said:

Yazoo Taproom and Brewery will have its grand opening this Friday, July 12th, 2-9 PM at their new location on 6.5 acres at 900 River Bluff Drive in Madison. $5 million has been spent on the 5,000 sq. ft. taproom and 24, 000 sq. ft. brewery. It features an outdoor patio that wraps the building.  This is double the space they had at their original Gulch location.

Great photos and summary. I’m looking forward to this.

However, I have to take exception with one thing you said. Their location in the gulch was not the original location. They were in the Marathon Motorworks building, before the gulch. That was back before that building had become the trendy spot it is. It was a dump and I loved it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1