Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

The 1 story, 9,216 sq. ft. warehouse building on .36 acre at 600 Main st. has sold for $3.2 million to  Talbot Ottinger and Chris Dawson.  No word on if they plan to keep it for creative-office type businesses, or to build. It does fall within the Opportunity Zone.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/commercial-real-estate/article/21085973/east-nashville-site-listed-for-32m

Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 12.31.15 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 12.31.31 PM.png

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

I know a lot of folks will be glad to be rid of a certain Councilperson over there.

We'll see what happens in D5.  I'm afraid that there's a small but very vocal NIMBY mindset that will try to block everything.  We'll see if the new guy can listen to residents but still move things forward that deserve it.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, grilled_cheese said:

I would love for a restaurant to go in the still vacant church on my street.  Better that than a vacant building.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, grilled_cheese said:

What is the actual controversial issue here?  Is there a zoning change application?  Can neighbors (who don't live on Gallatin) prevent this guy from opening a restaurant on a commercial road?  If there's not a zoning change, I don't see why he should have to have community meetings and bend over backwards.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, 37206dude said:

What is the actual controversial issue here?  Is there a zoning change application?  Can neighbors (who don't live on Gallatin) prevent this guy from opening a restaurant on a commercial road?  If there's not a zoning change, I don't see why he should have to have community meetings and bend over backwards.

Anytime a developer asks for zoning changes or special permissions it opens the door to public comment. I don't know if that's the case here. Councilpersons want to be reelected and angering voters doesn't help so they tend to appear to provide avenues for voters to express their opinions even knowing that it's a waste of time. There is a general concern as small churches close all over town, many not on commercial streets, that this sets a precedent for how these churches can be redeveloped. Another aspect is that in the past you couldn't sell alcohol within certain proximity to a church in a some areas. The church goes away and a lot can change.

A lot of developers plan these meetings, even when they don't have to, to avoid future bad blood after the development is built. 

Edited by Nash_12South
  • Like 2

Looking forward to trying out the new restaurants, although Gallatin dearly needs better crosswalks at 10th to make this more accessible from 5 points. The one just north of the library is somewhat better, although it needs a concrete median instead of the little plastic poles that constantly get knocked down. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

The entire city needs better crosswalks and all the drivers need to go back to driving school too.

The entire street network needs a redesign from the suburban to the urban but judging from the pushback from 8 South and Lower Broadway business owners when talk of removing vehicle lanes (or narrowing them or widening sidewalks) comes up...it's going to be a long row to hoe

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Nashvillain said:

The entire street network needs a redesign from the suburban to the urban but judging from the pushback from 8 South and Lower Broadway business owners when talk of removing vehicle lanes (or narrowing them or widening sidewalks) comes up...it's going to be a long row to hoe

I'd also like to see planted medians with pedestrian islands installed in, at the very least, the busiest and closest to downtown sections of the arterial streets like Nolensville Pike, Murfreesboro Road, West End Ave, Charlotte Ave, and Gallatin Road.  As you said, my hopes of it ever happening aren't high due simply to the almost reflexive vitriolic reactions many Nashvillians have to street alterations... but ya never know. 

• Like 3

On 8/30/2019 at 1:52 PM, bwithers1 said:

That proposal for 1012 Main Street is also for a hotel with a configuration like a series of apartments that would presumably be listed on the STR platforms.  The height on that parcel assembly is limited to three stories with the third story stepped back.  The property sits within the Lockeland Springs-East End Conservation Zoning Overlay District in addition to the MDHA Five Points Redevelopment District.  The proposal has not yet gone through the Metro Historic Zoning Commission for design review purposes.

@bwithers1 Are there any *current* drawings or plans for this publicly available? You referred to ‘Drawings I’ve seen’ .  Was that in a closed Planning  dept meeting or can we see those plans? Thx

Edited by DJIII

I got this site confused with the other Mark McDonald sit where he wants to build a hotel at 916 Main. I really dont see why the neighbors are so bent out of shape when you are getting a five story a block and a half away. Seriously Brett, some of your constituency needs to get a life and give up the ghost when it comes to Main street as this is a major street and deserves height and is getting height on either end of the Five points area.

The entire stretch of Main and Gallatin can be 5 to 6 stories from Briley all the way into town for what its worth. Just remember you have a High School across the street from this site that is a tall four story building that was built long before these folks were born and if Metro built it today, they could build the exact same thing as they are exempt from their own rules.

• Like 4

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 3:43 PM, AronG said:

Looking forward to trying out the new restaurants, although Gallatin dearly needs better crosswalks at 10th to make this more accessible from 5 points. The one just north of the library is somewhat better, although it needs a concrete median instead of the little plastic poles that constantly get knocked down. 

@AronG There are crosswalks at 10th/Main leading to this project from Marche/Five Points.  Can you please elaborate more?

It would not have been prudent to invest in a concrete median or pedestrian island on Main Street if a transit line were to go there.  So much of the infrastructure along Main/Gallatin would have been updated with funding from the transit referendum, which failed.  Now that East Middle has moved back to the Main Street/Gallatin Ave campus, they are again eligible for a MNPD crossing guard.  The more urgent pedestrian safety project for me and D5 CM-elect Sean Parker will be to get the street lights repaired on Main Street:  the underground wiring was severed at some point and those are MDHA-installed light poles, not NES poles, and there is basically "no one" in charge of or responsible for repairing them. 

9 hours ago, DJIII said:

@bwithers1 Are there any *current* drawings or plans for this publicly available? You referred to ‘Drawings I’ve seen’ .  Was that in a closed Planning  dept meeting or can we see those plans? Thx

@DJIIIDrawings were submitted for the MDHA Design Review Committee (DRC).  This parcel assemblage is part of the Lockeland Springs-East End Conservation Overlay District and so the proper routing of that project is for it to come before the MDZC first and then to the DRC.  I would stay tuned to the MHZC meeting agenda for next month since I believe that it was submitted too late to be reviewed by staff in time for the September MHZC meeting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

I got this site confused with the other Mark McDonald sit where he wants to build a hotel at 916 Main. I really dont see why the neighbors are so bent out of shape when you are getting a five story a block and a half away. Seriously Brett, some of your constituency needs to get a life and give up the ghost when it comes to Main street as this is a major street and deserves height and is getting height on either end of the Five points area.

In defense of Brett's constituents, of which I am one, I believe the property in question in across the street in District 5.  Those are the folks who are bent out of shape this time.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

I was referring to the Main and Forrest property.

Still the height on Main and Gallatin should be allowed to go 6 all along the corridor, and if truth be told, all the way to the Sumner county line. The more density you have along a major transit route the better things will be whenever we get transit and we will at some point. The more people that live within a block of that line the more folks that will use it. Its all about density and urban development.

As it stands not the crazy folks in northern Davidson will never allow affordable housing to be built on all the land that is vacant up there, and if the developers did, they would end up building McMansions no one could afford on 5 acre lots. Antioch is a disaster, so the next best option is to build up you transit corridors to their maximum effectiveness.

I would say that "build up you[r] transit corridors to their maximum effectiveness" is the BEST option and the only sane development principle moving forward. 

• Like 2

On 9/11/2019 at 7:10 AM, 37206dude said:

We'll see what happens in D5.  I'm afraid that there's a small but very vocal NIMBY mindset that will try to block everything.  We'll see if the new guy can listen to residents but still move things forward that deserve it.

Being a resident of District 5 I am excited to see what type of communication Mr. Parker has with the residents. The Maxwell Heights Neighborhood Association (my local group) is quite active and quite vocal, but they also listen to reason. As a resident of the district, this church renovation project would be good for the corridor. The big issues are the corridor itself and how to fund the improvements needed, which Brett referred to in his post.

• Like 3