Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

6 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Those jokers do not need tax incentives to relocate and redevelop. Icahn has plenty o f money and what ever they decide to do there would bring in a lot more in development dollars than 25 million in tax breaks.

Yes... but that property is worth an amazing amount of dineros. 

3 hours ago, NashvilleObserver said:

Mayor John Cooper has nixed a potential deal to relocate PSC Metals' sprawling scrapyard off the East Bank.

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2019/11/19/exclusive-mayor-cooper-nixed-proposal-to-relocate.html

Having said and agreed with many of the comments around this topic, it's safe to say PSC should have struck while the iron was hot. I have no way of knowing what sort of money was proposed in previous negotiations, but I can't help thinking PSC should have taken the incentive to move and maybe may some sort of deal to co-develop the riverfront property. They could go downriver for their production lot and cashed in at their present location... with incentives if they were offered. But I think that ship has shoved. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, AronG said:

Man, do I have mixed feelings about this one. Cooper is on a roll killing things that would have been great for the city if we could've gotten them done. He's indicated that Briley's commitment to fund the Cayce/Napier/Sudekum redevelopment is dead in the water. He killed the gulch pedestrian bridge. Now he's killing this one, which would've been a generational change on the east side.

But the thing is, so far he's made a pretty compelling case each time. Briley didn't properly fund that commitment. CSX was allegedly stonewalling the bridge. And as much as I'd love to not have to bike through a long stretch of belching pollution to get downtown, the idea that Icahn is basically shaking the city down for tens of millions of dollars of public money before he does the obvious thing is pretty galling. PSC is an enormous 45 acre junkyard in close proximity to a booming downtown area where land goes for north of $10 million/acre. If the city finances were in better shape, maybe it would be OK to grit our teeth and pay the ransom to get him out of there. As it stands we're just going to have to hope he eventually gets scared of a downturn and sells.

It's still disappointing though. My biggest fear is that Cooper's going to spend a year ostentatiously killing off all these potential projects and getting the yearly financial statement cleaned up (painful, but arguably necessary). Then, because all the substantive improvements to the city would cost a lot of money, which would require him to fix the property tax rate, he's going to announce some populist county-wide project that appeals to people but is actually a terrible idea. Like "We're finally going to fix the interstates once and for all by doubling the number of lanes!" People hate their commute and would applaud, the state loves road projects and would probably help pay for it. But the actual result would be detrimental to everyone that lives within five miles of downtown, setting us back a decade in trying to recover the city's livability after decades of blight and sprawl.

Here's hoping that whenever he does switch from killing projects to proposing them, he demonstrates a long-term vision that will leave the city better than he found it.

Agreed on all accounts. Thankfully he has no control over the interstates, so that isn’t an option. If he were to propose a county wide plan, I’d bet it would be a massive expansion of the cities sidewalk network, and upgrades to bus service. 

He’s said that he’d like to have a transit plan within a year, so we’ll know more about what his impact will be once that get revealed. 

• Like 1

The Eastland (4 stories, 53 apts, some ground floor retail) at 1035 West Eastland Ave. has sold for $9.9 million.  It just opened less than 2 years ago. 

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21102789/east-nashville-mixeduse-building-sells-for-99m

Screen Shot 2019-11-22 at 4.31.29 AM.png

• Like 2

On 11/21/2019 at 6:40 AM, markhollin said:

Boscabil I (three 4 story buildings, 96 units, part of Envision Cayce) update. 

Not calling you out specifically, Mark, but I feel compelled to set the record straight since this name has been spelled 87 different ways by 34 different people in this thread over the past two weeks.

Properly, the name is spelled Boscobel. Presumably after the Boscobel College for Young Ladies, which was founded in East Nashville in the late 1800s.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Vrtigo said:

Not calling you out specifically, Mark, but I feel compelled to set the record straight since this name has been spelled 87 different ways by 34 different people in this thread over the past two weeks.

Properly, the name is spelled Boscobel. Presumably after the Boscobel College for Young Ladies, which was founded in East Nashville in the late 1800s.

Not to call you out---but yea, I am:  "87 different ways by 34 different people" is incorrect.   ; )

I was basing my spelling on what I saw from several sources. I'll make a note to spell it correctly from here on out. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The team behind the Madison Town Center redevelopment has released a promo video .  Eventual plans are for 952,000 sq. ft. of residential  space, 362,000 sq. ft. of  office space, 16,000 sq. ft. of mixed use/retail, and 37,500 sq. ft. of civic space.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21103162/permit-issued-related-to-buena-vista-project

• Thanks 2