Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

An article in the Tennessean highlights the support of urban zoning along Gallatin Pike from Metro Council. However, developers that have advocated for urban zoning are now against it, such as H.G. Hill Realty.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20130818/NEWS/308180052/Gallatin-Pike-zoning-spurs-clash

I'm pretty sure that HG Hill has always been against it, but maybe not this publicly.  Which is ironic because both of the Hill deveopments under construction in 12South and Hillsboro village would fit the Gallatin SP perfectly.  My impression as a resident going to meetings is that most of the existing business/property owners on Gallatin have always been against the SP because they want to keep leasing the buildings out to pawn shops, cigarrette vendors and wig stores.  If's just that the neighbors who live there are very, very supportive of the SP requirements, and naturally they far outnumber the business owners.  If you were a council person, would you listen to a handful of business owners who live somewhere else and want to plop their shoddy buildings on Gallatin and fill them with irresponsible tenants, or would you listen to the thousands of neighbors who DO live there and actually vote for you? 

East Nashvillians do ardently support local businesses, look at all of the restaurants, art galleries, and boutique retail shops that have opened.  So this isn't an anti-business rant.  And Main Street has seen a huge transformation in the last few years despite the economy.  Mostly in existing buildings, but the types of businesses in there are changing for the better.

With all due respect to Mr. Granberry, if he wanted to have a good looking property that generated income, then his property at Gallatin/Greenwood would not include a beer/cigarette market, a check cashing place (which has since moved), and a discount clothing store, with all of those tenants' customers littering the vast, empty parking lot - and by extension, the neighborhood - with garbage.  I don't care how small of a business you are, if you want your place of business to look respectable, you would have an employee go out and pick up the parking lot.  Otherwise, your trashy store will only attract trashy customers with little cash to spend.

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 3

New food / beverage options opening soon at Porter Crossing (Porter and Greenwood, where Family Wash and Cafe Fundamental et al, sit) http://www.nashvillescene.com/bites/archives/2013/08/01/1201-market-boone-and-sons-coming-to-east-nashville.

This is pretty exciting if for no other reason than it will be such a tremendous improvement over the Smoke Depot that used to be in this building. I'm sure that craft beers for sale will help to keep a steady income stream in the liquor space. And I have to agree that Nashville needs a place that focuses on bourbons and pairing them with food. In addition to the 2 East Nashville farmer's markets (Wednesday afternoons at 10th/Russell, and Saturday afternoons at East High), there is also an Amish veggie stand that currently operates at this corner in the parking lot. Not sure if that will stay or relocate.

Right behind this is the in/famous Fran's Eastside bar and karaoke, which was recently rated as one of Nashville's Top 5 Dives.

There was briefly a local garden shop in the Greenwood side of this particular space called Idlewild Garden Emporium that had fabulous stuff at very reasonable prices but unfortunately it didn't pan out. I'm hoping that things will work better for these two folks. In terms of the pre-prepared (that's not a word but its quitting time and I'm tired) meals, the nearest examples are the Eat Well Market at Rosebank/Riverside that unfortunately moved or closed or something, and the very expensive but apparently very successful Porter Road Butcher, which also sells vegetables for soups and meals and stuff and has the Bloomy Rind Cheese Shop.

The Porter Road corridor is shaping up pretty nicely!

Here is the sign that was put up.

photo.JPG

Construction has started on this project at SEC 11th/Fatherland. There has been an erosion control barrier at the south property line for a little while. There was one piece of equipment on site yesterday and a second one this morning. They appear to be doing the excavation work.

• Like 1

Tennnessean lead article today says MDHA is considering plans to tear down and replace the Cayce Homes in East Nashville, possibly tripling the number of units.     Replacement units would be a mix of single family detached homes, townhomes and multi unit apartment buildings, significantly increasing the neighborhood's density.    Adjacent metro properties that are not currently part of Cayce could be part of the redevelopment.    

• Like 2

I had to miss that community meeting on Wednesday, but my understanding is that there were two options presented:  one would focus on the existing Cayce property only, and the other would include the adjacent properties, such as the CWA (which stands for Communications Workers of America) housing which actually front I-24 and Shelby Ave, and the Sheriff's Department/Public Works-Metro Beautification sites along South 5th Street. 

It is this second proposal that would triple the total number of units. Naturally, the Public Works and the Sheriff's Department Warrant Office would have to be relocated to somewhere else in Metro, which is certainly doable, although the Interstate access is good for Public Works and the Warrants/Probation office is pretty close to where a lot of warrants and probation are currently served.  (Sorry, I had to say that).

I think that either proposal includes connecting the street grid in places where it is not connected, and there is talk of a new school.  I surmise that the new school is the second K-8 charter school that was only just approved by the School Board to be operated by the Martha O'Bryan Center.

If I were a betting man, I would imagine that the market rate housing would be on the perimeter of the property, along Shelby, 5th, and toward Davidson.  Those properties would be the most marketable.  Davidson Street has already seen some residential development at the Lofts at 5th and Davdison.  I see quite a bit more of that happening in the coming years with our without the Cayce redevelopment.  But the Cayce redevelopment would certainly help to make that a more desirable location, proximity to PSC metals notwithstanding.

Edited by bwithers1

When i filled out the Nashville Next survey, I listed affordable housing as the first priority issue we as a community need to tackle. By that I was referring to the dozen or so '40's/50's era public housing projects that we have retained and continue to invest in and preserve in all their Urban Renewal glory. More than the scrapyard and more than decaying strip malls, our remaining projects are the zits on the face of this otherwise proud and attractive city, standing there facing inward, away from us and our city streets but showing their big backsides to the highways our friends, visitors and business partners travel on when we invite them here. Can we credibly claim to be a city that welcomes diversity and offers opportunity to those with the least when after 60 years the best we can offer those who need assistance is a crumbling barrack apartment in one of these fenced in, isolated, segregated "communities"? Good riddance Cayce homes. Let's start over.

• Like 1

In our wildest urban planning dreams the Cayce redevelopment will be the start of a larger revamp of the whole East Bank.  It seems farfetched that this would come to fruition, but if Cayce were redeveloped and the PSC site followed then the next logical step to connect East Nashville to Downtown would be to remove the interstate and create a tree lined boulevard.  The economic impact would have to exceed the cost over a number of years.  Of course the success of such a large redevelopment would hinge the continued growth of the city and the ability to absorb the mass amount of retail, residential, and office space it would bring to the market.  How awesome would this be...

IMG_0842.png

IMG_5507%281%29.jpg

In our wildest urban planning dreams the Cayce redevelopment will be the start of a larger revamp of the whole East Bank.  It seems farfetched that this would come to fruition, but if Cayce were redeveloped and the PSC site followed then the next logical step to connect East Nashville to Downtown would be to remove the interstate and create a tree lined boulevard.  The economic impact would have to exceed the cost over a number of years.  Of course the success of such a large redevelopment would hinge the continued growth of the city and the ability to absorb the mass amount of retail, residential, and office space it would bring to the market.  How awesome would this be...

Would be even more awesome with the proposed canal making the stadium area an island, a water park, little pleasure boats, just a big visual statement greeting the traveler's eye as he/she comes into the city.  I love the Parthenon, but it's relatively hidden.  How cool would it be to have something like that right in front of you as you come into downtown, surrounded by a well landscaped park with water features. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think you are asking what is residential doing on Main Street.  In theory I agree.  But putting something on that overgrown corner at Main and McFerrin is better than nothing.  And this building will address the street better than 5th & Main, and probably look like it belongs there, which cannot necessarily be said for 5th & Main.  I do agree that retail/office on the ground floor would be nice.  But not every building has to have retail/office.  I'm pretty excited about this one.

Oh yeah. Wonder why they are opting out of retail as well...especially with the new businesses cropping up around there. Oh well, just it's visual presence should help Main Street out and the perception of East Nashville to the general public.

If the "general public" hasn't lost their preconcieved notion on what type of neighborhood East Nashville is then I don't know what to tell them.

I grew up there, went to all of the public schools, lived through the "bad times"...it is 1000x's better now than it was even 10 years ago.

Maybe more people should cross the river and experience it sometime.

Edited by bhibbs

If the "general public" hasn't lost their preconcieved notion on what type of neighborhood East Nashville is then I don't know what to tell them.

I grew up there, went to all of the public schools, lived through the "bad times"...it is 1000x's better now than it was even 10 years ago.

Maybe more people should cross the river and experience it sometime.

I'll second that.  I went to Meigs back in the mid 90s, which is now approaching 20 years ago *gasp*.  It is a completely different animal from what it was then.  I can remember shoot-outs, robberies, arson, etc. occurring very close to the school, sometimes literally across the street.  That's not to say that it's perfect now, no neighborhood is.  But, I'll say that back then I wouldn't want to be walking around after dark.  Even if I was the same age now, I think I'd have no qualms about it.

I'll second that.  I went to Meigs back in the mid 90s, which is now approaching 20 years ago *gasp*.  It is a completely different animal from what it was then.  I can remember shoot-outs, robberies, arson, etc. occurring very close to the school, sometimes literally across the street.  That's not to say that it's perfect now, no neighborhood is.  But, I'll say that back then I wouldn't want to be walking around after dark.  Even if I was the same age now, I think I'd have no qualms about it.

My brother went to Meigs in the mid 90s ('91-'95 I believe?). Maybe you two knew each other? Man...he had some stories to tell. Apparently the neighbors were much more brazen about their crime back then. Muggings, stabbings, dead bodies, naked crackheads...all kinds of stuff. I went to Meigs for two years ('98-'99, '99-'00), and I saw a few things...but nothing approaching what he described. That was post tornado, right as the big changes really started happening.

By the time I was there, there was a neighborhood soccer game (of adults) that happened regularly close to dark in Douglas Park. That would've been unimaginable just a few years before, I think.

I went to Meigs during that same period ('91-'95) and definitely recall being on lockdown several times because of shootings nearby. I have family that lives nearby there now and that whole area has vastly improved once all those ratty apartments surrounding the school were torn down and replaced with newer ones. 

Edited by ariesjow

I went to Meigs during that same period ('91-'95) and definitely recall being on lockdown several times because of shootings nearby. I have family that lives nearby there now and that whole area has vastly improved once all those ratty apartments surrounding the school were torn down and replaced with newer ones. 

Did you go to Hume Fogg, too?