Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

My brother went to Meigs in the mid 90s ('91-'95 I believe?). Maybe you two knew each other? Man...he had some stories to tell. Apparently the neighbors were much more brazen about their crime back then. Muggings, stabbings, dead bodies, naked crackheads...all kinds of stuff. I went to Meigs for two years ('98-'99, '99-'00), and I saw a few things...but nothing approaching what he described. That was post tornado, right as the big changes really started happening.

By the time I was there, there was a neighborhood soccer game (of adults) that happened regularly close to dark in Douglas Park. That would've been unimaginable just a few years before, I think.

I was there from '93-'97.  Yes, all of those things did, in fact, occur.  It was in the middle of "the hood" in every sense of the phrase.  It is a totally different environment now, not to mention a completely new building.  Send me a PM if you like; perhaps I did know your brother.  Although, he would have been slightly ahead of me.

Anybody behind the NP wall? 

The title of this has me very intrigued...

EAST NASHVILLE LANDS HYPER-CONTEMPORARY RESIDENTIAL DEVELOPMENT

http://nashvillepost.com/news/2013/9/18/east_nashville_lands_hyper_contemporary_residential_development

Edited by BnaBreaker

They have started clearing land on Ozark St, where they are indicating this developement would be.
There is already one home being built and it strongly resembles the tall homes that overlook I-440 over off of Charlotte.
I may be wrong, but, I think this is what the story may be about.

They should open up a bar for you snobby East Nashville types and call it "Amplitude."

;)  

I know you are joking, but, it really wouldnt be a bad idea to have one on the lower level of the building with outdoor seating like Edleys has across the street. I know my friends and I would hang out there with our tattoos and pretentious attitudes

:thumbsup:

I know you are joking, but, it really wouldnt be a bad idea to have one on the lower level of the building with outdoor seating like Edleys has across the street. I know my friends and I would hang out there with our tattoos and pretentious attitudes

:thumbsup:

Then maybe we can get something in the brick building across the street at the SWC of Main and McFerrin that was last host to the infamous gang-banger hang, the Juice Bar.  Maybe an actual juice bar?  Main Street is seriously lacking in wheatgrass libations.   

Here is a recent Nashville Post article about the East Nashville residential real estate market, and how (and to what extent) it is expanding to include some of the neighborhoods that are further out from Five Points. http://nashvillepost.com/news/2013/9/12/will_the_rest_of_east_nashville_rise_for_real

There is also a follow-up East Nashville commercial update series in the latest edition of The East Nashvillian http://theeastnashvillian.com/EN_19.pdf page 24.

Edited by bwithers1

Here's one for FieldmarshalDJ.  Someone from Metro Archives lives in East Nashville (surprise!) and posted this picture to the ENListserv.  It is a photo of a beautiful Italianate house that once stood at 711 Woodland Street, where the new apartment building is going up across from East Park.  Most likely, this structure was destroyed by the 1916 fire that ravaged Edgefield.  The clearing of destroyed homes there led to the creation of East Park in the first place.  I hope that this link works https://east-nashville.googlegroups.com/attach/d18c2bdd257f7248/711%20Woodland%20St%20%20smaller%20%20%20%20%20191.jpg?view=1&part=4

• Like 1

Article in today's Tennessean featuring my East Nashville neighborhood, Eastwood http://www.tennessean.com/article/20130925/DAVIDSON/309250032/1974/DAVIDSON.  When I was interviewed, I definitely didn't know that the article would feature a reference to a random shooting from a failed robbery attempt a little while back, LOL!  That's a little bit "old school" journalism about East Nashville.

Edited by bwithers1

Here's one for FieldmarshalDJ.  Someone from Metro Archives lives in East Nashville (surprise!) and posted this picture to the ENListserv.  It is a photo of a beautiful Italianate house that once stood at 711 Woodland Street, where the new apartment building is going up across from East Park.  Most likely, this structure was destroyed by the 1916 fire that ravaged Edgefield.  The clearing of destroyed homes there led to the creation of East Park in the first place.  I hope that this link works https://east-nashville.googlegroups.com/attach/d18c2bdd257f7248/711%20Woodland%20St%20%20smaller%20%20%20%20%20191.jpg?view=1&part=4

From the little research that I have done, the fire of 1916 really did a number on that part of town.

It was sad to see before and after photos of the area and the houses/buildings that it affected.

I took an architecture class at Vandy by a very interesting professor who knew a lot about the fire of 1916. He said that it was the impetus that caused a lot of Nashville's wealthy families to move to Belle Meade from that area of beautiful homes.  He also mentioned that the annexation of East Nashville and the growth of Vanderbilt and Peabody also play a big part in that too. Interesting.  Consequently, the area was the "logical" choice for so much public housing... and it's an understatement to say the area fell on rough times in the decades following the fire. 

Couldn't help noticing the comments above about Inglewood... and I recall that area as having a lot of great older homes.  I could see its potential twenty years ago. 

Couldn't help noticing the comments above about Inglewood... and I recall that area as having a lot of great older homes.  I could see its potential twenty years ago. 

All of my family is still in Inglewood where I grew up, at some point in my life I will end up back over there, I still love the area.