Davidson Southeast: Antioch, Century Farms, East of Brentwood

smeagolsfree

New townhomes along 12 South.  From today's Nashville Post:

Nashville-based developer Shawn Bailes has started work on a six-townhome development at 1820 12th Avenue South (immediately north of the Acklen 12 South apartment complex currently under construction).

Bailes' FMBC Investments owns the site and is giving the residences (pictured) a highly contemporary design.

The residences each will rise three stories and feature rooftop decks with views of downtown Nashville and 12South. Four of the townhomes will face 12th and two will address West Grove (all six with access via an existing alley).

12 South Bailes Townhomes.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-07-22 at 8.58.55 AM.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, markhollin said:

New townhomes along 12 South.  From today's Nashville Post:

Nashville-based developer Shawn Bailes has started work on a six-townhome development at 1820 12th Avenue South (immediately north of the Acklen 12 South apartment complex currently under construction).

Bailes' FMBC Investments owns the site and is giving the residences (pictured) a highly contemporary design.

The residences each will rise three stories and feature rooftop decks with views of downtown Nashville and 12South. Four of the townhomes will face 12th and two will address West Grove (all six with access via an existing alley).

I think the excavation for this is already going on.    Noticed equipment working there this week, but didn't know what the project was.    

3 hours ago, titanhog said:

The Octave?  Haha!  Another music-themed name.  Next, we'll have one named "The Retard" (pronounced ruh-tard)...but the rednecks will of course pronounce it the politically incorrect  way. :wacko:

I would expect an 'Octave' to be 8 stories.....:tw_grimace:!

• Like 4

Crestview group buys another former Hickory Hollow Mall anchor store building (this time Macy's) for $5.1 million.  My guess is they will redevelop the 175,000 sq. feet into office space like they have with others there.

http://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/20828958/exmacys-space-in-antioch-sells-for-51m

• Like 1

Habitat for Humanity to consolidate all of their Nashville operations under one roof by refurbishing the former K-Mart store at NW corner of Nolensville Rd. and Harding Place.  Rendering below.  I wonder if they will also close their ReStore at 908 Division Street in the lower Gulch as part of this move?  They could land a pretty penny for that sale.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2016/07/26/habitat-humanity-wraps-purchase-new-nashville-hub/87585146/

636051533709383537-habitatrendering.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another new project for Antioch: a 7,000 sq. ft. building that will house a convenience care clinic and a Starbucks will go on the lot currently inhabited by a Shoney's Restaurant on Cane Ridge Rd:

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2016/08/05/hcas-carespot-starbucks-replace-shoneys-antioch-site/88283708/

636008265569826413-shoneys.JPG

19 minutes ago, kc8501 said:

Looks like the Fairgrounds won't be turned into a mixed use property, but will be getting a significant face lift soon.  http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/davidson /2016/08/09/mayors-office-unveils-15m-plan-upgrade-nashville-fairgrounds/88390574/

I like the sound of everything they are doing there. 

Those soccer fields (maybe they will throw some baseball/softball/kickball style fields in too) would be a huge new area. There are not a lot of areas like that so close to downtown. I bet Nashville Sports League is already chomping at the bit to be able to schedule games there instead of where they can find fields spread all over town. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

The Fairgrounds are an embarrassment the shape they are in now. Glad to see it will be spruced up some. Fifteen Million is not much money when it comes to that site. They could probably spend double that and still not be where they need to be.

Agreed. I'm constantly surprised the state fair is held there, as it's just so... shabby.  But it is at least a good start, and the additions of the sports fields will hopefully increase the usage and visibility, which will hopefully lead to more improvements.

I am just so excited/happy about this. It's such a huge great open place in the middle of everything. I hope they do it correctly and don't just build it up. With all of the infill happening, open places are starting to be few and far between. 

Where does the Fairgrounds funding come from, the city? Events? How did it get into such a state of disrepair?

• Like 1

The Chelsea (formerly called Aklen 12 South) has some news from Nashville Post today:

Nashville-based The Mainland Companies announced Monday it has enlisted Elmington Property Management to handle leasing and management for its 79-residence apartment building located at the intersection of Acklen Avenue and 12th Avenue South.

Pre-leasing is underway.

Relatedly, the Nashville-based company has rebranded the building as The Chelsea, according to a release. Previously, the building (pictured above) was identified by its address.

The site is located about five blocks north of the 12South commercial district.

In an effort to differentiate The Chelsea and to reflect the artistic nature of 12South, Mainland commissioned local artist Bryce McCloud to assemble an approximately 100-yard custom mural that is integrated into the building's east wall. McCloud, who leads the Nashville-based design and production firm Isle of Printing has undertaken similar artwork for the buildings home to Barista Parlor, Third Man Records, Mas Tacos and Pinewood Social.

"Including a local artistic component into The Chelsea's design was an important aspect in making this building more than just an apartment project," Mainland CEO Ken Larish said in the release. "Anyone familiar with Bryce McCloud's work will know that his philosophy is re-shaping Nashville's creative landscape and we are fortunate that he is helping drive our vision in 12South."

Manuel Zeitlin and project designer Nelle Blevins of Manuel Zeitlin Architects (which designed the building) played a role in identifying McCloud and incorporating the mural into its overall design for The Chelsea.

Looking south along 12th Avenue South near intersection with West Grove Avenue:

Chelsea progress 1, Aug.JPG

Looking south along backside of the structure, featuring the mural:

Chelsea progress 2, Aug. 15, 2016.jpg

As someone who live a few blocks away, this hasn't gone over well among the neighbors. 12 South is not cutting edge on architecture. I think the article is a direct response to the ongoing local trash talk.

This seems more a way to cover not spending the same amount of money on the back elevation as the other 3.

Update on a couple of 8th Avenue South projects:

8th Avenue Place is finally underway at corner of 8th Ave. South and East Argyle. Just south of the Grimey's/Basement complex. Eventually will be 8 units.

8th_Avenue_Place_1,_Aug.JPG

8th_Avenue_Place_2,_Aug.JPG

The Melrose has begun phase 2 (5 stories, 139 units, and 8,500 of retail facing 8th Avenue).  Here is the demo of the nondescript 1-story structure that used to house Goodwill, and then a fabric store, among others. View from near intersection of Kirkwood and 8th Avenue South looking east.

Melrose_Phase_2_demolition,_Aug.JPG

• Like 4

Updates on a few more projects along the 12 South corridor.

The Row at 12 South (3 stories, 17 units) looking from the Library lot SE along 12the Avenue South:

The Row at 12 South, Aug.JPG

Excavation for 1820 12th Avenue South (4 stories, 6 units, plus office space).  Looking east across 12th Ave. at intersection with Grove.

1820 12th South, Aug.JPG

6 three-story connected town homes at intersection of Wedgwood and Waverly.  Looking south across Wedgewood from Waverly:

Wedgwood and Waverly 6 condos, Aug.JPG

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Sort of off topic, but is it just me or do so many of these stick frame and Tyvek buildings look extremely flimsy? There are a ton of new construction condos near me in DC that, as I watch them go up, I can't imagine living there because they seem so poorly constructed (especially in the redevelopment of the old Potomac Yard rail facility in Alexandria). In a recent apartment search the fiance and I were actively looking for older construction buildings because the quality of the base materials seemed so much higher. Lots of hardwood, stone, concrete, and brick versus cheap OSB plywood, pine 2x4, and Styrofoam.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Nathan_in_DC said:

Sort of off topic, but is it just me or do so many of these stick frame and Tyvek buildings look extremely flimsy? There are a ton of new construction condos near me in DC that, as I watch them go up, I can't imagine living there because they seem so poorly constructed (especially in the redevelopment of the old Potomac Yard rail facility in Alexandria). In a recent apartment search the fiance and I were actively looking for older construction buildings because the quality of the base materials seemed so much higher. Lots of hardwood, stone, concrete, and brick versus cheap OSB plywood, pine 2x4, and Styrofoam.

It may not be even close to consensus, but no, there are many "peas in the pod" on that sentiment, and I'm such one.  I call it a form of the "scruples".