Davidson Southeast: Antioch, Century Farms, East of Brentwood

smeagolsfree

16 hours ago, markhollin said:

Bristol development group drops plans to buy church and parking lot for apartment complex on the north end of 12 South District.  Couldn't make the numbers work when the community insisted the project have about 40% fewer units.  I think this is for the best.  I live a few blocks away from this locale, and 12th Avenue South has been reduced to an absolute crawl at times with all of the restaurant and tourist traffic.  If someone can come up with a development that won't substantially increase the auto flow, I'm all for it. 

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2016/12/02/developer-bristol-drops-pursuit-12south-church-site/94823334/

Yeah, I've gotten so that I no longer use 12th anymore as my alternative thoroughfare, and I'm almost certain that those who live in that district would prefer that more like me also would not.  That's the kind of preaching to the choir of the unmindful forces that make mobility worse before it will even start to get relief.  It's the reason that the once "Halcyon" (cough-cough...) 10th Ave. and the cross streets have taken the brunt of the 12-South crawl "collateral", just as hurricanes hitting the coast tend to induce tornadoes inland.  The plain truth is that growing pains require this trend continue to get far worse for a long time, before it reaches a point of infection.

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 1

On 11/30/2016 at 3:15 PM, markhollin said:

Here is a shot of the tree removal that took place in the past few weeks at Ft. Negley.  I took several others, but didn't realize they were all out of focus until I got home.  There was a lot of discussion about this in the CBD/SoBro thread, but thought it should be moved over here to the appropriate area.

Looking SW from the Bass Street overpass of CSX tracks:

Ft. Negley tree removal, Nov.JPG

I walked up to the top today. Looks soooooooo much better now. Unfortunately, there are still enough trees blocking the downtown view to prevent any good photo opportunities. Good views of Music Row roundabout area though

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LA_TN said:

I walked up to the top today. Looks soooooooo much better now. Unfortunately, there are still enough trees blocking the downtown view to prevent any good photo opportunities. Good views of Music Row roundabout area though

Reckon I'd better get up there as well, before the trees take over again, as if I'd be around long enough for them to mature.  This might be a one-shot opportunity, since Metro plans to replace some of the trees, from what I hear.

• Like 1

"Booze-less bar on tap for booming Nashville neighborhood"

A high-end tea company is opening a tea bar in the 12 South neighborhood, right next to Burger Up. Firepot Tea Bar will sell made-to-order drinks, loose leaf teas, tea pots, and other tea paraphernalia.

Article: http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2016/12/09/booze-less-bar-on-tap-for-booming.html?ana=twt

Company website: http://www.firepot.com/

Tea.JPG

Tea2.JPG

• Like 2

From today's Nashville Post.  Work underway on 92-unit Woodbine Park:

A South Nashville residential project is now underway following the issuing of demo permit related to the effort. A Nashville-based development group that includes Nick Adler will undertake the 92-unit apartment development straddling Coleman Park near the northeast corner of Nolensville Pike and Thompson Lane

The group paid $1.33 million for 3.55-acre site and will call the project Woodbine Park. The team created Woodbine Park LLC for the project, which will replace a former lumberyard north of the park. The permit is valued at $20,000, with Bacar Construction handling the job.

"Multiple Nashville fairgrounds buildings targeted for demolition"

Mayor Berry is seeking Metro Council's approval to demolish nine buildings on the Fairground property. The demolition is part of a $12 million renovation of the 117-acre site. Metro Council has authorized $12 million in fairgrounds upgrades as well as $3 million for soccer fields, a dog park, and other green space on the site.

I'm curious to hear others' thoughts about the Fairgrounds and specifically whether ex-Mayor Dean had the right idea when he proposed turning the site into a mixed-use development. 

In my non-professional opinion, renovation of the grounds is only a stop-gap solution. As development pushes south from downtown, I can't help but think the property will become too valuable to continue serving as a venue for "expo center events, flea markets, and auto racing."

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/davidson /2016/12/12/multiple-nashville-fairgrounds-buildings-targeted-demolition/95334216/

Sanitation-Building-Outside.jpg

Storage-Building-2.jpg

Storage-Building-1.jpg

Volunteer-Village-1.jpg

Walsh-Room-Inside.jpg

Edited by Canuck87

1 hour ago, Canuck87 said:

I'm curious to hear others' thoughts about the Fairgrounds and specifically whether ex-Mayor Dean had the right idea when he proposed turning the site into a mixed-use development. 

In my non-professional opinion, renovation of the grounds is only a stop-gap solution. As development pushes south from downtown, I can't help but think the property will become too valuable to continue serving as a venue for "expo center events, flea markets, and auto racing."

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/davidson /2016/12/12/multiple-nashville-fairgrounds-buildings-targeted-demolition/95334216/

I'm in total agreement with you.  I'm not a native so I really don't understand the clamoring to keep the fairgrounds, which it seems is what Dean ran into.  But I have to think that those residents will become a smaller voice over time.  As you said, it just doesn't make sense to have such a big void in the urban fabric that close to downtown.  I'm all for making some of it park/green space, but it's crying out for new development.  I'd be shocked if it doesn't get there eventually.

• Like 4

I'd totally be for it being kept from being developed, something like the Nashville's version of a "Central Park". 

It does need to be cleaned up and random parking lots turned into green space be it soccer fields, fields, walking trails, whatever. 

Also like everyone on here always says, gotta figure out something with Wedgewood Ave. and it's connection to Nolensville (4th).

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, bmkTN said:

As you said, it just doesn't make sense to have such a big void in the urban fabric that close to downtown.

That's the thing, at 117 acres, it is one HUGE piece of property. For comparison's sake, the OneC1ty campus is roughly 19 acres, and the Capitol View site is about 32. The Bicentennial Capitol Mall is also 19 acres. 

I'm no math whiz, but according to my calculations, they could fit a park/greenspace twice the size of the Bicentennial Mall, plus a Capitol View-sized development, plus 2.5 OneC1ty-sized developments all within that area. And it would be two and a half miles from the downtown.

37 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

I'd totally be for it being kept from being developed, something like the Nashville's version of a "Central Park". 

If it was transformed into a park, I would have no problem with that whatsoever. But in its current state, I think it's completely out of place. 

Edited by Canuck87
  • Like 1

117 Acres is a pretty amazing size to have so close to our downtown and there are a multitude of things to do with it besides develop it. There is so much other open property, I think developing this would be such a mistake. And I mean developing it past park improving park related things like trails and all that good stuff. Not just slapping some high rises in there. 

https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nation/the-15-best-city-parks-in-america

Look at number 1 on the list, 1,293 acres and it's smack dab in the middle of their city. 

• Like 3

I think most folks agree - The Fairgrounds could be so much more than they are now. But completely disagree with development of those acres (a significant few are low lying in a flood plain, I believe).  Partly nostalgia, yes...but not all. We go to the flea market monthly. I'll go to the races a couple of times/year. Not a NASCAR fan. But your value for money (cheap tix and cheap beer) on the entertainment scale is awesome. Just people watching is spectacular. I love the kitsch old-Nashville feel of the Fairgrounds. Facilities need updating in a big way. Dedicated green spaces, playing fields, walking trails, picnic areas, etc. would be most welcome.  Just not a fan of handing it over for development. I grew up here and truly love so much of the change occurring. But some things shouldn't disappear and this is one. Just because it's developable land doesn't mean it should be developed (now stepping/stumbling off my soapbox). :-)

• Like 3

[UNRELATED TO THE ONGOING FAIRGROUNDS DEBATE]

"Investors 'aggressive on Antioch' pounce on development site"

McArthur VanOsdale and Juan Vallarino of V2 Capital have purchased 19 acres of land in Antioch for $2.26 million.

The duo's plan is to develop some combination of office buildings, a hotel, and retail on the site, but the full extent of the development is still to be determined. VanOsdalesaid it is too early to say what the project's budget will be, and the investors likely will need a bank to finance construction.

Coverage:

NBJ: http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2016/12/13/investors-aggressive-on-antioch-pounce-on.html

Tennessean: http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2016/12/13/office-hospitality-retail-uses-eyed-antioch-site/95371762/

Nashville Post: http://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/20846620/antioch-properties-eyed-for-development-following-sale

636172234975147187-Crossings-Image.jpgCrossings.JPG

Edited by Canuck87
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

I'd actually love seeing this too, but only if Metro was able to really spend the time and effort to maintain the place properly and make sure that it stayed in tip-top shape.  Maybe even build some structures ala the Parthenon at Centennial.

• Like 1