Davidson Southeast: Antioch, Century Farms, East of Brentwood

smeagolsfree

I like to see this sort of thing happen... reopening/reusing an old school to address population growth in 12S helps the whole neighborhood... www.tennessean.com/article/20130814/DAVIDSON/308140009/Waverly-Belmont-building-reopen-elementary-school

That's fantastic news! New life to an old neighborhood school! Beautiful!

This could have an incredible quality of life impact on the area.

This is great news.  Creating more neighborhood schools is probably the best thing we can do as a city to improve public education.  One would hope that this trend would continue with middle and high schools.  Neighborhood schools foster parental involvement and school pride.  They also take school buses off the street, which has multiple advantages.

Imagine (some of you may not have to imagine) what the school spirit would have been like if you were a football player in the 50's.  Your neighborhood would drive across town on a Friday night to play your rival neighborhood.  Now you may get bused out of your neighborhood and come back to the school across the street from your house on a Friday night.

• Like 1

That is great news. You know....we have a lot of old schools that aren't being used as 'schools'. I know this one was the site of library services for MNPS. I wonder if as Nashville continues to add population (especially to the old parts of the city) that some of these other school buildings will reopen as regular schools.

I agree with TMcKay (welcome to the forum, btw) that neighborhood schools are the way to go. My parents grew up here (and were in high school in the mid/late 60s), and it was fascinating to hear them talk about all the old high schools and rivalries. It really did seem like a neighborhood focus. They went to different high schools (Dad - Madison, Mom - Donelson) that were rivals at the time.

I'm sure it's a more expensive model to run, with more buildings and all...but I really wish we would get away from the very large high schools like McGavock, that cover huge geographic areas and have 2,000+ students. Split the clusters up a bit.

If I'm not mistaken, McGavock has been broken up into separate academies that operate within the same campus. That is a little bit better - and less expensive - than tearing it down and building a whole bunch of new schools. I am not sure how large Cane Ridge High School is, but given the population growth in that area, it had better be huge.

Nashville does have a lot of historic school buildings that had once been mothballed but have since reopened as schools. East Nashville's East High (1932) and East Middle (1936) are now magnet schools in the sense that you must apply to go there. They aren't traditional "neighborhood" schools anymore. Bailey Middle School (1929) is a "zoned" school, which means that neighborhood students have first choice to attend there unless they opt to go elsewhere, is a STEM Magnet with a dedicated Vanderbilt scientist on staff who works with the curriculum designers. Highland Heights school (1930s) is now KIPP Academy charter school. Ross Elementary (1904ish) is still in use on Ordway in Lockeland Springs, although at some point a pretty hideous replacement was built on McFerrin and that is the main elemntary part of Ross. Lockeland Elementary (maybe 1937, and built on the site of the abandoned Lockeland Mansion for which the area was named) is one of the premier elementary schools in Nashville and there are serious catfights in East Nashville about being on the lottery to Lockeland and waiting on spots to open up. That's even if you live in the Geographic Priority Zone.  Those are just the reused historic school buildings ones that I know if in East Nashville. 

I'm always glad to see the historic school buildings saved and reused, especially as schools.  Too many of the schools that were built in Nashville in the 1970s and 1980s have that correctional facility aura that was the style at that time.  Add to that the plywood over the windows with window AC units sticking out, and it's not a pretty picture.

Edited by bwithers1

all of the schools that I grew up going to (Inglewood Elem, Dan Mills, and Litton) have all been remodeled or torn down and rebuilt except for my high school...Stratford. At some point I would love to see Stratford get some money pumped into it and have some overall enhancements made to the building. 

all of the schools that I grew up going to (Inglewood Elem, Dan Mills, and Litton) have all been remodeled or torn down and rebuilt except for my high school...Stratford. At some point I would love to see Stratford get some money pumped into it and have some overall enhancements made to the building. 

Actually, Stratford is undergoing a pretty extensive interior renovation right now.  I think that it was $20M in last year's capital expenditures budget and may be ongoing or finishing up.  I think that a new roof is a big chunk of that, but my understanding is that there is a lot going on over there.  There has also been quite a bit of talk in the community and from Councilman Anthony Davis about securing additional public and/or private funding to upgrade the outdoor athletic facilities.  Stratford is now the STEM magnet high school.  And the Promise Neighborhood project that the Martha O'Bryan Center and Vanderbilt have been working on is targeting the entire Stratford Cluster and seems to be having a positive impact already.  The principal is a like a Marine or something with a flat top haircut and all and he is running a tight ship over there that is correcting some of the discipline problems that used to plague Stratford.  I'm pretty optimistic about the changes happening there within the public school system.  It will take a while, but things seem to be moving in the right direction.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...