Davidson Southeast: Antioch, Century Farms, East of Brentwood

smeagolsfree

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2013/12/truck-terminal-sells-for-17-million.html?s=image_gallery

5+ acre rundown site sells for 1.7m on Fesslers Lane. I wonder what these investors are planning...

My guess would be something relating to trucking/logistics. Not a whole lot else over there.

Another apartment building planned for Franklin Pike in Berry Hill. This would be at 2350 Franklin where Thoroughbred Motors is now.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20140108/BUSINESS02/301080080/2095/BUSINESS02

Here is the NBJ version.  http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/morning_call/2014/01/lennar-plans-berry-hill-apartment.html

The redevelopment of this site has been rumored for a long time and discussed on this board a few times.  So no surprise here. 

I just hope that the complex is built to the street similar to 2300 Berry Hill. 

Franklin Road is transforming overnight!   If I could afford it, I could move to one of these developments on Franklin Road, walk to where I work in Berry Hill, walk to Kroger, and bike or take a bus to get to most of my other needs.  Technically, I could then get rid of a car payment.  That's not going to happen for me, but it just goes to show that transit-oriented development along Nashville's pikes will make that car-free lifestyle a viable possibility in Nashville far sooner than some of us had ever imagined, with or without light rail or even a BRT.

Edited by bwithers1

Unfortunately, as long as they meet ADA width requirements, I'm afraid our city could care less.

I believe ADA requires a minimum of 60" or alternatively 36" with 60" passing zones at regular intervals. Although I haven't measured, driving by it seems like the sidewalks in question don't meet either of those requirements. I'm guessing the problem is that this development is technically in Berry Hill, which only recently adopted codes requiring sidewalks. I doubt they have much experience with enforcing ADA. Compare it with the other new Franklin Pike development, which is technically in Nashville. Their sidewalks are banging.

Metro public works isn't a model agency by any means, but I they spend a lot of sidewalk dollars retrofitting noncompliant sidewalks to be ADA compliant ever since a federal court placed an injunction on the city in the early 00's. While this means there is less money for new sidewalk construction, its still important work. We need more sidewalk money generally, or at least a better way to pay for new sidewalks.

Unfortunately, Berry Hill might not get their codes act together until they get sued.

Franklin Rd through Melrose/Berry Hill is a mishmash of new ADA sidewalks, old non-compliant sidewalks, a couple of stretches of no sidewalks at all (like half a block north of the 23Hundred apartments, and other places where parking lots and street meld into one).   

It bothers me every time I see crews in town replacing existing sidewalks with new ones, where the old sidewalks were perfectly functional, even if not fully ADA compliant.   I'd rather spend the dollars filling in all the zero sidewalk gaps first, then go back and bring ramps and curb cuts into ADA compliance.    

• Like 1

I got in touch with the folks at the Melrose. Maybe we're jumping the gun. Here is their response:

Thank you for your concern and please know that construction is not complete at this time and we plan to add sidewalks around the poles to comply with ADA.

Regards

Something is brewing for Edgehill Village on Villa and Edgehill. There are strong rumors that the piece of property is getting ready to go under contract and there's a surface parking lot that is ripe for development. The only problem with Lennar developing that is that I don't see them operating the retail component. Maybe they could take the surface lot and develop a residential component and let someone else run the existing commercial component.

There are also several underutilized lots between Broadway and 17th that would have to be highly desired.

That is so absurd.  Don't know why the city can't require NES to put them underground.

Because the cost of placing the wires underground would then pass on to the NES ratepayers:  i.e. all of our electric bills.  My friend at NES works specifically with developers who are always wanting NES, and by extension the ratepayers, to put the utilities underground.  NES is happy to do that, but the developers should pay for it if they care about it so much. 

Now if Planning required developers to pay for NES to put the utilities underground similar to the way that they require sidewalks, I would be all for it.  But it would potentially raise the cost of development, and therefore prices.

Edited by bwithers1

Mixed use project going up on the corner where the current Sounds Stadium meets Chestnut across from Gabby's Burgers and Fries. I know the guy that owns that business, and he says work is to begin soon on mixed use projects on the corners across from him, so he is not worried about the Sounds leaving. He will have plenty of residential business coming in the next year or so.

• Like 2