Davidson Southeast: Antioch, Century Farms, East of Brentwood

smeagolsfree

I would not want to be the manager for that property as far as risk management goes. Once you get into that area the crime rate sores. Only a matter of time before a guest is robbed and killed. Just basing this on the crime stats for that area. Until Metro does something about Sudekum, nothing in that general area is going to change all that much. They will have to do a Envision Sudekum before that happens and that one is at the bottom of the list.

Also going to be car break ins on a daily basis.

Cayce Homes is a 16 or 18 phase project and they are just now getting ready to start phase 2. 

Once you get past Fesslers, that will change if the Rail line is built. Even across Lafayette there are crimes issues that spill over from Sudekum.

• Like 1

It would be great to see the portion of Murfreesboro Road from the I-40 loop out to at least I-24 developed like Broadway and West End in Mid-town.  Even better if it went further out to Briley Parkway.  When I was in Nashville for Thanksgiving and drove along Murfreesboro Road I was wondering if there were any proposed planning underway.  A family member who used to live just off Edgewood between 8th and 12th told me she heard that J.C. Napier Homes and Sudekum Apartments are going to be cleared for development at some point but she had no specifics as to when.  If they are clearing out Napier and Sudekum, I hope the residents there will be supported in finding affordable housing elsewhere that doesn't take them way out from downtown.

• Like 3

Yeah I live on 1st. Luckily far enough south that it doesn't really spill down to me. 

The problem seems to be that the area is literally the very tip of the police percent that extends all the way out to the Percy Priest.

With the increase in taxes in the area hopefully they can hire some additional police for the area. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PillowTalk4 said:

It would be great to see the portion of Murfreesboro Road from the I-40 loop out to at least I-24 developed like Broadway and West End in Mid-town.  Even better if it went further out to Briley Parkway.  When I was in Nashville for Thanksgiving and drove along Murfreesboro Road I was wondering if there were any proposed planning underway.  A family member who used to live just off Edgewood between 8th and 12th told me she heard that J.C. Napier Homes and Sudekum Apartments are going to be cleared for development at some point but she had no specifics as to when.  If they are clearing out Napier and Sudekum, I hope the residents there will be supported in finding affordable housing elsewhere that doesn't take them way out from downtown.

Murfreesboro road is kind of a disaster, compared to other roads leading out of downtown. There are plans to make it better (the family justice center will make it better), but other than Trevecca there just hasn’t been much on that road that has been getting better. 

Thats the unfortunate thing about receiving free housing from the government: you typically don’t have much of a say in where it is. If the city government decides that the best use of that land for taxpayers is repurposing and moving the projects, tough luck and welcome to the free market. Living downtown isn’t a right. 

Edited by Pdt2f
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, PillowTalk4 said:

If they are clearing out Napier and Sudekum, I hope the residents there will be supported in finding affordable housing elsewhere that doesn't take them way out from downtown.

Yep. I'd heard from someone recently the relo would be Antioch, but cannot recall my source (crappy memory, sorry). 

^ ^ ^ No truth to what that lady told you.  Those public housing areas will have long-term redevelopment a la Envision Cayce (which Smeagolsfree alluded to) that will hopefully bring more balance and energy to the residents and neighborhood.  Will have to see how the Cayce plan rolls out first.  This will be at least a decade in the making.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, markhollin said:

^ ^ ^ No truth to what that lady told you.  Those public housing areas will have long-term redevelopment a la Envision Cayce (which Smeagolsfree alluded to) that will hopefully bring more balance and energy to the residents and neighborhood.  Will have to see how the Cayce plan rolls out first.  This will be at least a decade in the making.

Thanks Mark. Good to know. But I sure hope it doesn't take a decade or more to improve. The recent tragic killing of the elderly man taking out his trash a case in point.

Edited by Flatrock
  • Like 1

The comments about Sudekum lead me to realize this was a part of town I couldn't picture as I've never driven around there.     So I went to the Google Maps Street View,  dropped to University Ct and started 'travelling' the street.    Fascinatingly, the Google Street Views of University Ct are all from 2007 while all the surrounding streets have been updated as recently as 2016.     2007 is when Street View was launched, meaning these are the initial pics.    The pictures are an interesting throw back in their own right, but it's also worth noting that Google must avoid remapping specific areas that they deem high risk.  

35 minutes ago, thenorthchannel said:

The comments about Sudekum lead me to realize this was a part of town I couldn't picture as I've never driven around there.     So I went to the Google Maps Street View,  dropped to University Ct and started 'travelling' the street.    Fascinatingly, the Google Street Views of University Ct are all from 2007 while all the surrounding streets have been updated as recently as 2016.     2007 is when Street View was launched, meaning these are the initial pics.    The pictures are an interesting throw back in their own right, but it's also worth noting that Google must avoid remapping specific areas that they deem high risk.  

University Court and the other internal streets within Sudekum are not public right-of-way. I think that is the distinction Google is making with their newer coverage as opposed to the initial runs. You can see this in several residential developments and other areas around town that have private driveways.

• Like 1

I have done a ride along on the night shift with Metro Police in that area. It was an incredibly eye opening experience since I have never been exposed to that before. Obviously since I was there for a ride along I was mostly meeting the people that gave the neighborhood a bad rep.  It was a shame getting to see first hand how the few bad ones altered that area for everyone. This was about 6 years ago so maybe it has changed, but I would not live remotely close to that area. I vividly remember going to a noise complaint call and being scared to death. He was the only officer to respond as the flex unit was answering a call about a suspect waving a gun at people while driving around. It was the cop and I then probably 20 other people. The officer was never nervous, just said if we show them respect they will show us the same.  I think the people there thought I was on some special unit since I was in plain clotehs.  It was quite the interesting night.

• Like 2

I've never felt unsafe over here everyone is nice. It's like you say the few bad apples ruining it for everyone. 

There is definitely a sentiment that the city underserves the area. And I see it. Everything just seems to take longer to get done over here.

So I can't imagine what it was like before the area starting getting built up. 

4 hours ago, markhollin said:

If light rail gets approved, think there's any possibility they would rebuild closer to the county line with access to the new mass transit system? Seems like that would be really valuable land to sell to developers, would help the entire area, and would allow for ample funds to rebuild higher quality housing further out (Antioch, or elsewhere) 

5 hours ago, nashwatcher said:

If light rail gets approved, think there's any possibility they would rebuild closer to the county line with access to the new mass transit system? Seems like that would be really valuable land to sell to developers, would help the entire area, and would allow for ample funds to rebuild higher quality housing further out (Antioch, or elsewhere) 

How about rebuild it in Belle Meade?  

• Like 3

A prime lot on 12th Avenue South (2510 12th Ave South/1111 Gilmore Ave.) which has been home to the Atkins Funeral Home for close to 5 decades, is up for sale.  The building itself is quirky in design (having been added-onto numerous times) at 7,614 sq. ft., and the lot is .68 acres on the SE corner of 12th and Gilmore (27,878 sq. ft.).  The asking price is....*gulp*...$6.5 million.  

1111 Gilmore, Adkins Funeral Home, Dec, 2017.jpg

1111 Gilmore aerial.jpg

• Like 2

Yes, $6.5 million, but no serious interest. It is way overpriced. I feel it was put on the market to test interest. A little backstory, I’ve heard that the owners are making more money on the valet parking from Urban Grub than from funerals, and have been for years. The change in the neighborhood and lack of parking (for even visitations) have hurt.

If you look around, there has been no real new development on 12th in a while. My two cents is that that side street parking is fairly maxed out at this point and anything new will have to provide more onsite parking. 

Edited by Nash_12South
  • Like 2

It has been for sale now, for almost a year with no nibbles. Real estate prices have somewhat leveled off in Nashville over the past year. The days of buying a property for x and making x squared are over for now.

They have the wrong real estate agent for the property and she is not doing a good job at marketing the property either. Old School Nashville which is almost dead.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

I didn't even know that place was still open. 

The city could buy the property and put a big 4 story parking garage there, to alleviate the street parking problems, think the residents would buy that? HA!

As someone who lives down the street....no.

I will say that metro offered to oversize the nearby Waverly Belmont Elem. school parking lot a few years ago with the idea to help with commercial parking. The neighbors went crazy insisting that it would be unsafe to locate the school parking lot right behind the bars. They insisted is was better for the playground to go there instead. Still makes me shake my head.