Davidson Southeast: Antioch, Century Farms, East of Brentwood

smeagolsfree

19 hours ago, markhollin said:

A mixed-use development that would include 10 residences is being planned for a .63 acre lot at 2080 12th Ave. South, currently home to Southside Community Church. Richard Bacon is the developer and Catalyst Design is handling  civil engineering and land-planning. It goes before Metro Planning on Thursday.  No rendering yet.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/commercial-real-estate/article/21044638/vertis-lands-final-commercial-tenants

This has been in development for a while. They were initially planning a urban grocery store concept with several stories of apartments above, then planned  just a row of shops including a artisan butcher, but it has certainly gone down in scale since then. 

This is the brainchild of the same team that planned the 23-story Crescendo tower that was then scaled down to 6 stories... so needless to say, they have a problem with follow-through. 

• Thanks 1

Hamilton and Martin LLC has landed a permit for their 4 building, 27 unit residential project at the SW corner of Hamilton and Martin in WeHo. Land has already been cleared. no renderings yet, but the design is supposed to be neo-brownstone.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21044779/notes-weho-site-prepped-for-residential-project

This screenshot from Smeagolsfree's excellent development map shows the development highlighted in red at the center of the frame:

Screen Shot 2019-01-24 at 3.10.17 PM.png

• Like 4

I didn't go, but initially I'm in favor, but I know that traffic will be a big point of discussion. This site is at a pinch point on 12th (going south). It backs up every afternoon, heck almost all the time every day. Throw in a grocery store? I think the alley will be a problem. It's totally single homes/garages on the back side and those residents will howl.

The developer did listen to the comments from last time. They added retail and made the massing of the building appear less huge.

I know my neighbors, the most vocal ones hate everything new and will oppose. Those in favor will likely stay quiet to avoid conflict. 

Edited by Nash_12South
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

That looks like a very large development for that neighborhood. Total square footage?  Difficult to read the text on the site plan; does that say 33,000 s.f. for the grocery? How many residential units?  How feasible would it be to use the alleys for a portion of in/out traffic? 

This looks like a great addition to the neighborhood.  This (almost) perfectly extends the walkability of 12 South.  If the apartment buildings a few blocks north looked like this, I would be thrilled!  In fact, a few more of these and The Gulch will meet 12 South / Belmont!

• Like 4

Some more info on the Tabernacle Baptist Church site (from several posts above).  Developer Richard Bacon of Cottage Partners is wanting to place a 3 & 4 story structure including retail, restaurant, and offices on the first 2 floors, and condos on the 3rd and 4th levels. There would be an interior garage, and even a small dog park.

The retail would include a 20,000 sq. ft. grocery offering a farm-to-table component with a roll-up door addressing the outdoors/public realm.

Quirk Design is handling architecture.  Still now official renderings. The developer is planning more interaction with the public to fine tune the design.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21045796/mixeduse-building-eyed-for-12south

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The site slopes toward the back and backs up to an alley with houses backing up to it, so for those folks it will be five floors - and they'll never agree to it.  Who defines how tall is "too tall"?

According to others, only a sliver of the site is zoned commercial which presents another hurdle. The developers need to spell out what other options are possible with the site and how those other options might be worse. There is a call for it to all be residential, but if so, what would that look like? Apartments that would likely go - short term rental? They'd howl at that. Condos that would all be really pricey?  Boutique Hotel? 

It will get down to what's least objectionable.....

Edited by Nash_12South

Treg Warner has paid $2.4 million for the corner lot/building at 901 12th Ave. South (SE corner of 12th Ave. South and South St.).  This now completes a large tract he owns that includes the Thai Esane Restaurant structure.  That restaurant is relocating to the Element Apt. Tower on Demonbreun, so it would seem that Warner can now tear everything down in this plot that covers 1.3 acres.  My guess is he will build a mixed-use development in the 4-5 story range here.  Great location with easy access to downtown.

More at the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/commercial-real-estate/article/21045939/local-investor-pays-24m-for-12southarea-site

Screen Shot 2019-02-04 at 3.22.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-04 at 3.21.17 PM.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Has the proposed mixed use (IIRC includes office) building for the property across Hawkins (nw corner) been approved? If so, when is targeted start date?

Found the one to which I was referring. Novel Edgehill. Says it was supposed to geet metro zoning approval on January 24. See my next post below.

Edited by MLBrumby

On 1/2/2019 at 2:32 PM, markhollin said:

Novel Edgehill is now the name of the proposed Crescent Communities/Pearl Street Partners project to be located at 801 12th Ave. South.  It will be 8 stories tall at its highest point, and feature 297 apartments as well as 9,000 sq. ft. of retail/restaurant. Originally they were looking at a high a 16 stories and about 360 units.  They made concessions based on community input. 

Metro Planning Commission is set to review the plans on Jan. 24th.  KTGY Architecture + Planning, Hawkins Partners, and Kimley-Horn are all involved in the architecture and planning. 

More behind the NBJ paywall here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2019/01/02/developers-shrink-apartment-project-at-gulch.html

And behind Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21039234/height-reduced-for-planned-gulcharea-building

Here are the massing renders with the development highlighted in yellow.  The blueish structure in background is the dormant Buckingham gulch project.

Screen Shot 2019-01-02 at 1.19.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-02 at 1.19.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-02 at 1.19.35 PM.png

This screen shot from Smeagolsfree's excellent development map shows the site highlighted in teal at the center of the frame:

Screen Shot 2019-01-02 at 1.31.45 PM.png

6 hours ago, Nash_12South said:

Mini rant here - I totally agree with your statement, but what isn't always understood it that probably 80% of the folks moving into these gentrifying neighborhoods are coming from the suburbs. They have no clue as to what life will be like in neighborhoods like 12 South. 

They don't get why strangers park in front of their houses. They don't get that the restaurants they like to eat at need trash pick up and food deliveries from semis, or they have staffs that actually drive to work. They championed the Conservation Overlay to prevent the cute little houses from being torn down and replaced with two 600K new ones (making the neighborhood un-affordable), oblivious to the fact that the cute little house would have all but the front wall removed and infilled with a 1.2 million dollar house. I love hearing the rants from neighbors who spearheaded the overlay complaining that they now can't do their long planned additions. This 80% does little homework on what might happen to the properties around them, before buying.  In quickly looking and doing the math, most of the homes behind this development changed hands since the first development was proposed. They can't all claim ignorance of what is now coming.

I've already read one anti person stating that this would be the first development of any scale with houses directly behind it, which is untrue, but no one dares say anything because of the volatile nature of these fights.

The problem for the councilpersons is that they while may understand the realities of life in urban neighborhoods, they need these folks votes, especially this year. This "debate" will be interesting to watch.

So true, and it's all exactly the same over here on the east side. Being a councilperson must be excruciating if you care about actually being constructive. In particular, the affordability equation is the simplest part of this that people just tune out. It's not like it's complicated; more homes on the same amount of land is going to be more cost effective. Some of the developers actually list what the units are going to cost if they're allowed to build townhomes vs. duplexes and so on. But people go on pretending like doubling down on the current restrictions is going to somehow help affordability, not make it worse.

I guess over time the demand will slowly win out as some percentage of projects make it through the gauntlet and the neighborhood is gradually dragged kicking and screaming into the future. But it drives me crazy, because I want to actually be able to enjoy new, walkable amenities before I'm 80.

eff GIF

• Like 4