Davidson Southeast: Antioch, Century Farms, East of Brentwood

smeagolsfree

The tiny .17 acre lot at the SW corner of Humphreys and Martin (461 Humphreys) in WeHo has changed hands again, now selling for $3.95 million (holy schniekies!). The new owner is WeHo Flats LLC, which is affiliated with The Matthews Company and Eagle Rock Ventures.  They plan to develop a mixed-use structure that will feature 152 micro apartments (averaging 200 sq. ft. apiece), and 1,405 sq. ft. of commercial space.  R.C. Matthews will be contractor, and Hastings Architecture is in charge o design.  A rendering will be coming soon.

Mathews told the Post the sub-$1,000 a month rent will include all utilities and Internet service. Each unit will provide a bed, a refrigerator and a microwave. The building will offer a community kitchen for major cooking.

One rather insane note about the land:  just 5 years ago that parcel sold for $162,500.  Ca-ra-zy! 

More at The Nashville Post here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21048339/weho-site-slated-for-microapartment-building

Screen Shot 2019-02-21 at 3.15.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-21 at 3.16.06 PM.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 2/21/2019 at 7:26 AM, PaulChinetti said:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/05/09/brothers-plan-restaurant-in-trendy-wedgewood.html

(I'm over my limit for the month) This place is nearing completion on Houston street. I will get a picture later, I finally noticed it the other day as they have put up new wood fencing. 

Here are the pictures of this build. New fences, new deck. 

A2E6CDF3-97CC-4037-B429-A79C04D09D83.jpeg

963B7CF7-01CE-4BBD-8AC0-B80F5D78D626.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/21/2019 at 3:17 PM, markhollin said:

Mathews told the Post the sub-$1,000 a month rent will include all utilities and Internet service. Each unit will provide a bed, a refrigerator and a microwave. The building will offer a community kitchen for major cooking.

Gross!!! WTF? 

As @PaulChinetti said, this is basically a dorm. They bought the lot for almost $4 million and are planning to charge under $1,000 per unit. That means they are likely to REALLY skimp on the quality of construction. 

Yikes! And this is in WeHo no less. 

1 hour ago, nashvylle said:

Micro apartments are going to become the norm. 

Millenials don’t need as much space and want to be near everything for a price within their budgets. 

When I first moved to Nashville, I lived in a 350 sq ft apartment for $250 / month (in 1993).  Now I live in almost 2000 sq ft...but I wouldn't mind going back to 350.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, markhollin said:

Westwood Drive Townhomes (3 stories, 8 units) update.  These overlook 8th Ave. South. Topped out.

Looking east from 8th Ave. South, 1/2 block south of Inverness Ave:

Westwood Dr. Townhomes, Feb 8, 2019, 1.jpg

Looking south along Westwood Ave., 1/2 block north of Biloxi Ave:

Westwood Dr. Townhomes, Feb 8, 2019, 2.jpg

I just don't know how I feel about this.   Pushing out the older homes with tall and skinnies .  Gentrification at it's finest.  

I think it depends on where it's happening. I understand a lot of those small homes had gone commercial anyway. Are a majority still residential 1-3 blocks from 8th (or whatever the nearest main artery is)? I know there are some pockets like Waverly where that's still the case, and I hope the overlay helps keep this tall modern style of building out of there. I don't like the style of many of the new residential units, but I do like that they bring people back to the area. 

23 hours ago, NashvilleObserver said:

Gross!!! WTF? 

As @PaulChinetti said, this is basically a dorm. They bought the lot for almost $4 million and are planning to charge under $1,000 per unit. That means they are likely to REALLY skimp on the quality of construction. 

Yikes! And this is in WeHo no less. 

Either that or they are in this for a real long haul or looking to construct a new prototype style of home. ROI is a driving force with these projects, but who knows, maybe we are seeing an attempt at a forced market shift. 

21 hours ago, nashvylle said:

Micro apartments are going to become the norm. 

Millenials don’t need as much space and want to be near everything for a price within their budgets. 

Idk if they will become the norm, but I believe that size of living units will begin to see a shift to decreased size. Someone mentioned the notion of the “sharing” generation. Seems like it could be a social shift where some housing may shift back toward a boarding style sweeping for affordability. Will be interesting to observe moving forwards. 

• Like 3

I'm 27 and would gladly shave 100 (or more) off my ~700 sq. ft. 8th Ave. apartment for reduced rent. Although I cry a little every month when I pay my obscenely high rent, I'd much rather be living frugally in the city than living large in a 2-bedroom garden apartment in Bellevue.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Olympic (5 stories, condos) at 806 Olympic, just west of 8th Ave. South, has applied for a permit to raze the existing non-descript/non-historical 1 story commercial building on the site.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/construction/article/21048512/permit-patrol-25-february-2019

• Like 2

I doubt that school is going anywhere, where would all the kids in the neighborhood go? I don't seem them moving a school just for a parking garage doesn't make sense.

23 minutes ago, thenorthchannel said:

TAnyone got a scoop on development at the CVS on 8th South/Franklin Pike just South of Gale?  On The Next Door the businesses are all reported to be closing at month's end.

Haven't heard anything but I did see that the Hair place is closing. I guess that means the dry cleaners too, which sucks because they are cheap and fast. Use them all the time.