Davidson Southeast: Antioch, Century Farms, East of Brentwood

smeagolsfree

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 6:26 AM, markhollin said:

Olympic (5 stories, 20 condos) update.  Demo fencing up, equipment on site.

Looking north across Olympic St., 1/2 block west of 8th Ave. South:

Olympic, Mar 2, 2019.jpg

Well....that was fast:

Olympic, March 5, 2019.jpg

Just now, nashscan said:

I can't believe they tore down that beautiful historic building.  Nothing is sacred anymore.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

This is huge for the city. I do wish that they would've increased the number of affordable housing units rather than just a 1:1 replacement. Unfortunately, "workforce housing" does not equal affordability anymore. Affordability is getting into the realm of 35%-65% of the AMI

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Thanks Mark,

I dont have the patience to do all the work required, besides I am doing about half a dozen other things right now too, as are you  and I dont know how you do it!

Thanks, Ron.  'Tis a crazy season, for sure.  Fortunately, I've been able to work around projects with my job...so am able to spend a few hours a day trying to keep up with all the new announcements, getting out to sites on the weekends, editing pics, etc.  

6 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

This is huge for the city. I do wish that they would've increased the number of affordable housing units rather than just a 1:1 replacement. Unfortunately, "workforce housing" does not equal affordability anymore. Affordability is getting into the realm of 35%-65% of the AMI

Before you arrived in Nashville, Craig, there was a massive overview of all the public housing about 3 or 4 years ago by MDHA--as I recall there are 11 sites in all (most within a few miles of downtown).  Envision Cayce (which is well underway) is a test to see about trying more blending of workforce housing with public housing, featuring much improved infrastructure, retail, services, etc.  If it goes as planned, HUD and several other federal agencies have promised significant funding for the other ten sites.  Napier-Sudekum was chosen for site #2, so these are the initial plans.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

^ ^ ^ Folks who already live in these areas will be the first ones allowed to pick from the newer structures.  That is why they need to build these out in stages. And because there will be additional units available (due to multiple story structures), the intention will be to add in other non-public housing renters as well to have more variety in income levels.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, AronG said:

The central idea of all of them is to keep the current number of low-income units, but add a similar number of less subsidized "workforce" units (typically reserved for people with income between 60 and 120% of the median income), and also add a bunch of market-rate units that sell on the open market. When it works this is both an economical way to develop a lot of affordable units, and it alleviates the concentrated poverty that results when you isolate a thousand public-housing units in one neighborhood with no other income levels.

This idea makes so much sense to me.  Now, we need to adjust our safety net policies and implementation to encourage more people to improve their lives, just like the new neighborhoods. I'm happy to see this in our city.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AronG said:

The central idea of all of them is to keep the current number of low-income units, but add a similar number of less subsidized "workforce" units (typically reserved for people with income between 60 and 120% of the median income), and also add a bunch of market-rate units that sell on the open market. When it works this is both an economical way to develop a lot of affordable units, and it alleviates the concentrated poverty that results when you isolate a thousand public-housing units in one neighborhood with no other income levels.

Yeah...that's always been my thoughts on public housing for the poor.  You concentrate all of these people with little hope of moving up into one community...and it just always seems to be depressing, at least from the outside.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, markhollin said:

Thanks, Ron.  'Tis a crazy season, for sure.  Fortunately, I've been able to work around projects with my job...so am able to spend a few hours a day trying to keep up with all the new announcements, getting out to sites on the weekends, editing pics, etc.  

Before you arrived in Nashville, Craig, there was a massive overview of all the public housing about 3 or 4 years ago by MDHA--as I recall there are 11 sites in all (most within a few miles of downtown).  Envision Cayce (which is well underway) is a test to see about trying more blending of workforce housing with public housing, featuring much improved infrastructure, retail, services, etc.  If it goes as planned, HUD and several other federal agencies have promised significant funding for the other ten sites.  Napier-Sudekum was chosen for site #2, so these are the initial plans.   

Thanks for the explanation Mark. This would be huge for the city indeed and would really go a long way.

Just before leaving Boston they started doing the same thing where they put the developments out to bid to private developers to rebuild their housing developments. The city would essentially gift the land to the private developer for a 1.25:1 replacement (adding 25% more affordable housing) and then workforce/market rate apartments. It was crazy to see how some developments got hundreds of bidders and others got literally 1. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AronG said:

Exactly, and my understanding is that all of the Envision projects are planning on 33%/33%/33% breakdown (low income/workforce/market). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

But, when developers get involved, the affordability goes out the door. It has to be a partnership with Metro controlling what happens. That sort of happened with Rolling Mill Hill. Hardly anything is affordable up there except for the artist housing where you have income requirements. 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

But, when developers get involved, the affordability goes out the door. It has to be a partnership with Metro controlling what happens. That sort of happened with Rolling Mill Hill. Hardly anything is affordable up there except for the artist housing where you have income requirements. 

If you don’t maintain the affordable units, developers don’t get the tax breaks...