Davidson Southeast: Antioch, Century Farms, East of Brentwood

smeagolsfree

Can anyone tell me what Lofts on Eighth is built out of - is it all concrete, or wood frame.  I have been following the stories in the papers about the new 23Hundred at Berry Hill apartments (which sadly are going to be wood frame), and I started to wonder what Lofts on Eighth was built of.  Thanks.

Good question IHCSprings. Do not know. Will try to find out.

Ww

• Like 1

Thanks WW.  I emailed Bill Knestrick a few days ago asking the same question, explaining nicely that I was just curious is all, but he hasn't replied.  Maybe it made him nervous or something haha for a stranger to ask him that. 

it may have, IHCS, but I wouldn't worry. I've been inside the building and the units are nice. 

WW

Interesting difference between here and Brittain/France perhaps the rest of W. Europe?  Everything there seems to be masonry with tile rooves (roofs?). Built to last.  They use wood for outbuildings.

To my knowledge, timber is significantly more expensive in Europe than it is here, so the cost differences are less drastic.  Combine that with more stringent building codes, and you have nicer buildings.

agreed!  thank you.

This proposal sounds even more ridiculous to me than the Guitar Tower.  Seriously, can we get some architects in here that actually know what they're doing?  Some of the concepts just make it sound like a child is behind this whole thing.  Not only are the designs of each structure in this proposal absolutely god awful in their own uniquely horrible way, but they don't even come close to going together either. 

There is no creativity, no flow, no urbanity whatsoever...just a horribly designed, horribly flawed, outlandish concept all surrounded by a gigantic sea of parking.  If this were the Nashville of 1984 I wouldn't really be very surprised, but we're better than this today. 

Some of the ideas, like the IMAX theater, the "capsule hotel", and the broadcast center sound interesting, but why not just work them into the fabric of an existing neighborhood rather than create some isolated crap like this that would be, in a way, competing against the surrounding neighborhoods? 

• 5 weeks later...

The latest proposal for the Fairgrounds, from the Tennessean....  http://www.tennessean.com/article/20130128/NEWS01/301280086/Report-Fairgrounds-redevelopment-gives-bigger-jolt-Nashville

But it looks like the redneck element doesn't want any changes to the site, as expressed by someone named Tenpenny (how appropriate!). 

Thanks for posting.

If you bring the facts into the light you can see the fairgrounds is a
dead white elephant no one wants to touch. The republican party of Davidson County rallied the redneck vote against
burying that elephant. The fact is that most conservatives would want to get
rid of the fairgrounds because it is hardly making money and probably losing
money and it will take 150 million to bring it up to standards. Many of those
same people are such hypocrites. They want it their way when it suits them.
Same goes for the thermal site, sell it and let private enterprise have it.
Maybe Mother Nature will do us a favor and send an F5 tornado to touch down just
in the fairgrounds and then lift up leaving no more damage. Hopefully the city
will have let the insurance policy lapse on that property too. Get rid of it.

Now as far as
the current proposal goes, the only objection I have is the office portion because
that is just another element that would take away from the CBD. They do not need
anymore competition.

Sorry to be so
cynical but this topic needs to be put to bed permanently.

Thanks for posting.

dead white elephant no one wants to touch. The republican party of Davidson County rallied the redneck vote against

Maybe Mother Nature will do us a favor and send an F5 tornado to touch down just

Now as far as

the current proposal goes, the only objection I have is the office portion because

that is just another element that would take away from the CBD. They do not need

anymore competition.

Sorry to be so

Davidson County has a Republican Party?  Didn't even know there were any Republicans left in Davidson... they all went to Williamson and Rutherford.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting.

Now as far as

anymore competition.

Sorry to be so

I pretty much agree (other than the tornado). There is a pretty negative image of the State Fair...and the city has let the site languish for so long that it would be enormously expensive to make it a viable and *fun* place to go again. My problem with the fair is that it's really only a "happening" place for a couple of weeks each year. The rest of the time, it's dead, outside of the flea market, perhaps (I wouldn't know...I don't go to the flea market). It's an eyesore and a hindrance for development. Not that the area is just really primed to take off, but it actually has some potential.

They should make the Wilson County Fair the Tennessee State Fair. It's probably the best one in the state, anyways. As Nashville has less and less involvement in the agriculture sector (aside from being the seat of state government), it really doesn't make a whole lot of sense to even have that here. And I've always associated carnivals (the other component) as sort of a small town thing, anyways. The only argument is "tradition"...and that's a very weak and expensive argument at that. At least with the plan that MLBrumby linked us to, there is some sort of viable revenue generator involved.

I also agree about the office component. I know Dean seems to think that Davidson County needs some sort of office park alternative so we can grab some of the low-mid rise development away from Cool Springs -- but we already have some sites that can do that. Not on a huge scale...(Seven Springs, Buchanan Point potentially -- places farther from the core. Or Green Hills and OneC1ty closer in and a little more urban in feel). I think we need to mainly stick to our guns and resist the office park mindset, though, and concentrate on urban office development around Downtown, Midtown, and the Gulch. In other words, there are plenty of options around town...we don't need to create a new low rise office environment.

The residential proposal, though, is very good IMO. I think it could really help kickstart the transformation of the Wedgewood-Houston neighborhood and feed off some of the momentum in Berry Hill/Melrose. I guess I would not be opposed to small scale offices (with small firms in mind as part of a mixed use project. I just don't really want to see any more 150-200,000 square foot 4-5 story vapid boxes of office built in close to town. Just stack a few office units (maybe 100,000 sq ft worth -- a tenth of the proposal) on top of retail and make it a nice little mixed use neighborhood, and add more residential units to the equation. The 45 acre park is a good idea.

As for the race track...I personally don't know anyone -- conservative or not -- who really wants that there. I'm sure you can find people in the county that do. It's just kind of silly IMO to have an "urban race track" in this day and age. People who want to keep the track cite the nostalgia and the history. But the thing just doesn't pay for itself. There's no longer a NASCAR race held there, and even if the city poured millions into making it a viable track again, there's no guarantee that any high level races would be there. Plus, Nashville Superspeedway out near 840 is just sitting there, unused. And that's a relatively new facility. That should tell you all you need to know about the viability of the Fairgrounds speedway.

You know, Nashville had another old facility that had a lot (more) of history and nostalgia surrounding it...Sulphur Dell. It was at one time billed as America's most historic ballpark. But it was a decrepit $h!#hole. And they tore it down. And for good reason. This is not a "historic" facility worth saving.

Davidson County has a Republican Party?  Didn't even know there were any Republicans left in Davidson... they all went to Williamson and Rutherford.

I know this is probably tongue in cheek, but a good 35-40% of Davidson County (especially around the fringes) would identify themselves as conservatives or Republicans. The Tennessee House Speaker, Beth Harwell, represents Green Hills and South Davidson.