Davidson Southeast: Antioch, Century Farms, East of Brentwood

smeagolsfree

Well it looks like Cloud Hill is a no go.

So now we are stuck with a fenced off dilapidated ball park that nobody can use, until something is figured out about the archeological aspects. Which I can't imagine the city and or state has any money to do anything about, which sucks for all parties involved.

From Colby Sledge's newsletter.

"

GREER STADIUM

This afternoon, the Cloud Hill Partnership team and the Mayor's office announced that they will not move forward on a Greer Stadium proposal, after an archaeological study showed there were likely human remains on large portions of the proposed project area. This, in effect, means that the future of Greer Stadium and the area around Fort Negley is undetermined.

There's a lot to get into here, but I want to first thank a lot of people:

• Mayor Barry and her administration, who were willing to pursue a creative approach to addressing several issues impacting our urban residents and businesses.
  • The Cloud Hill team, which presented a similarly creative response to those issues.
  • Tennessee Valley Archaeological Research, who did an excellent job in relaying their methods, findings and recommendations. Their work will help direct the future of the site. 
  • Everyone who has engaged with me regarding Greer Stadium over the last several years, from the time the Sounds left, to our September '16 community meetings, to formal neighborhood meetings, to informal chats over coffee, lunch and beers.

So, what does this mean? Well, first things first: I'm disappointed that the Cloud Hill proposal didn't work out. I thought it was a unique solution to several major issues facing our district: truly affordable housing, accessible green space and commercial facilities for our growing creative, maker and light manufacturing industries. And I still think it is, albeit in a different location.

During this process, I've learned a lot about Fort Negley and its particular place in Nashville's African-American history. I am still learning. I support the many great educational efforts at Fort Negley, and have been pleased to see all the new initiatives taking place on the grounds. My hope is that those efforts will continue.

I also hope that everyone who cares about this property will come together quickly to start working toward a solution. The worst possible outcome now would be a Greer Stadium site that continues to sit and rot. I'm going to be reaching out to several people over the weeks ahead. The communities around Fort Negley and Greer Stadium deserve to enjoy this site, to learn from it, and to take ownership and pride in it. I'm committed to continuing that work, and I look forward to continuing it with you."

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

Crudeness.jpg

This is beyond crude but... That will totally transform that area. Maybe someone with some better skills can mock something up a bit better.

Don't know if it's better, but here's my crude, fantasy try. I see the height being mostly along Franklin Road,  which would be an urban beast with this and all the Berry Hill development.

25785466968_d802696b3b_z.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, PaulChinetti said:

Well it looks like Cloud Hill is a no go.

So now we are stuck with a fenced off dilapidated ball park that nobody can use, until something is figured out about the archeological aspects. Which I can't imagine the city and or state has any money to do anything about, which sucks for all parties involved.

From Colby Sledge's newsletter.

"

GREER STADIUM

This afternoon, the Cloud Hill Partnership team and the Mayor's office announced that they will not move forward on a Greer Stadium proposal, after an archaeological study showed there were likely human remains on large portions of the proposed project area. This, in effect, means that the future of Greer Stadium and the area around Fort Negley is undetermined.

There's a lot to get into here, but I want to first thank a lot of people:

• Mayor Barry and her administration, who were willing to pursue a creative approach to addressing several issues impacting our urban residents and businesses.
  • The Cloud Hill team, which presented a similarly creative response to those issues.
  • Tennessee Valley Archaeological Research, who did an excellent job in relaying their methods, findings and recommendations. Their work will help direct the future of the site. 
  • Everyone who has engaged with me regarding Greer Stadium over the last several years, from the time the Sounds left, to our September '16 community meetings, to formal neighborhood meetings, to informal chats over coffee, lunch and beers.

So, what does this mean? Well, first things first: I'm disappointed that the Cloud Hill proposal didn't work out. I thought it was a unique solution to several major issues facing our district: truly affordable housing, accessible green space and commercial facilities for our growing creative, maker and light manufacturing industries. And I still think it is, albeit in a different location.

During this process, I've learned a lot about Fort Negley and its particular place in Nashville's African-American history. I am still learning. I support the many great educational efforts at Fort Negley, and have been pleased to see all the new initiatives taking place on the grounds. My hope is that those efforts will continue.

I also hope that everyone who cares about this property will come together quickly to start working toward a solution. The worst possible outcome now would be a Greer Stadium site that continues to sit and rot. I'm going to be reaching out to several people over the weeks ahead. The communities around Fort Negley and Greer Stadium deserve to enjoy this site, to learn from it, and to take ownership and pride in it. I'm committed to continuing that work, and I look forward to continuing it with you."

Glad to hear this.  The Greer site needs to be a part of a Civil War park that includes Fort Negley.  This site should contain lots of open space with an improved exhibit at Fort Negley....an interpretive center with a museum that not only pays homage to the African Americans who helped build the fort...but also tells the story of the Union and Southern armies, battles, etc of that area.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, PHofKS said:

Don't know if it's better, but here's my crude, fantasy try. I see the height being mostly along Franklin Road,  which would be an urban beast with this and all the Berry Hill development.

25785466968_d802696b3b_z.jpg

That makes sense. This will wildly change the area, looking forward to it  

I wonder how this will effect the Greer site. Maybe  the City/State will be willing to put more money into Fort Negley. 

I’ll bet it will sit abandoned for at least another 5 years though. 

• Like 2

Here's a site plan the Elmington's  Reservoir project.  I suspect they're hoping to develop this somewhat in tandem with MDHA's Envision Edgehill redevelopment.  All I know is that the people in the top few floors of those 10-story office buildings at 8th and Edgehill will have the most amazing views of just about anyone in the city.

http://maps.nashville.gov/MPC/2018SP-026-001_plan.pdf

• Like 2

9 hours ago, markhollin said:

Broadstone 8th South (5, 4, and 3 stories, 330 units, retail) update. The"back" side rounding into completion.

I don’t believe this includes retail. The adjacent (but separate) condo building has 4-5 bays.

But in regard to Broadstone, the “back of the back” side which faces and parallels 8th is hideous. It’s a flat wall with a grid of windows on that sea foam green siding. The brick is almost out of sight. There’s no depth, accent color, nothing. 

• Like 1

The 8th South condos have the retail, including Holler and Dash and some pizza place. Broadstone wraps around the side and back of it. Smeag’s excellent Development Map actually has the 8th South condos on wrong side, they’re further south on 8th than the portion of Broadstone that fronts 8th. I’m pretty meh about the broadstone apartments, but they’re a positive in that they’re helping to add density to a fast urbanizing area (along with the aforementioned condos, The Melrose phase 1 and 2 further south on 8th, Octave across the street, and 2300 Berry Hill further north on 8th a few blocks.  Kudos to the developer of the 8th South condos for adding substantial retail to a small 52 unit building, though. 

• Like 3

On 1/15/2018 at 2:34 PM, markhollin said:

Twelfth & Wedgewood (4 stories, 153 units) has started to clear the land of trees in order to begin grading. Erosion fencing/barriers also up. 

Looking north along 12th Ave. South at intersection with Wedgewood Ave:

Twelfth & Wedgwood, Jan 15, 2018, 1.jpg

Looking east along Wedgewood Ave. from intersection with 12th Ave. South:

Twelfth & Wedgwood, Jan 15, 2018, 2.jpg

They are supposed to start blasting in this area next week. I live right there on Wade and they put a seismograph in my front yard to monitor the blasting vibrations. Excited for this project to finally get started!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, markhollin said:

^ ^ ^ Welcome to the forum, tatom.  I also live in 12 South neighborhood and am excited as well.  Be sure to check in often and feel free to contribute to the ongoing conversations in all the threads.  : )

Thanks! I've been following this thread for a while now, will definitely contribute where I can!

• Like 3

The SE corner of 12th Ave. South and Kirkwood (immediately north of Las Paletas Mexican Popsicles) has been razed and fenced-off.  The 2 story bungalow that was built in 1925 had served as medical offices for several decades. This is a high traffic interchange, so I would think a several story mixed-use structure is going to replace it.

Looking west from intersection of Kirkwood and 12th Ave. South:

12th and Kirkwood empty lot, Jan 15, 2018.jpg

• Like 3