Davidson Southeast: Antioch, Century Farms, East of Brentwood

smeagolsfree

Your missing the point Mark. This is the part of the gritty nature of Nashville that makes things interesting.  Its the same as losing your old studios and the like on Music Row. Also commercial companies are pushing the rents higher and higher knocking the local people out.

Development is not always a good thing.

• Like 2

I agree with Mark. As a more recent 12South resident, the businesses didn’t speak to the neighbors. Pehaphs 2/3s of the area residents  have changed to more suburban types (young families) in the last 5-10years.  It may be lamented by some, but it’s where we are.  We’ve known it was a matter of time before they left.

I went in to Corner Music once. Not a thing in the store I could use. They could have tried to appeal to the tourists and new locals, but didn’t. 

They were there before you. It doesnt matter if there is nothing there for you or not. That is the  narcissism that is ruining the country. If theres nothing there for me, then they do not need to be in My hood. 

Not meaning to come off as harsh, but if you dont drink coffee, what good is a coffee shop. If you drink liquer, what good is a liquer store.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm not missing the point at all, Ron. Those stores moving of their own volition (and at a hefty profit) is a not a bad thing.  What they had to offer didn't really match the fabric of the neighborhood as it is now.  They are going to do just as well (they are appointment based merchants) wherever they choose to locate. 12 South was never a "player" when it came to the music industry, other than those two stores and Dolly Parton's outpost, which is very private, and most people don't even know it's there.  

I suppose we can also lament all the African American churches throughout the neighborhood that are closing down one-by-one (there were literally a dozen of them within 4 blocks of my house at one point)...but this is the nature of change.  Either you seek to become relevant with the altering populace, or you have to make other decisions.  It's not necessarily a good thing or bad thing...it is just the nature of change. 

And as far as "gritty" goes---it will always find it's comfort zone.  Remember, when 12 South was originally built in the 1910s/20s, it was anything but "gritty." It was considered one of the up-and-coming suburbs of that time....and I'm guessing there were some folks upset that farmland was being destroyed for all tho new homes.

• Like 2

I see all the points that this is not a net positive for the neighborhood. My point is, this is almost inevitable.

I looked at just the 3 blocks that comprise my street. 52% of the homes were sold in the last 5 years, 69% in the last 10. Only 27% have a history of more than 15 years. The demographics have changed. The Tap Room recently renovated, I think for the better, without totally losing its original vibe. You can adapt. That is what I think is sad. Many businesses so cling to their original concept, they die. 

I’ll also say that 12South becoming a little less hip may not be bad....I wouldn’t have to eat dinner at 4 to stand a chance to get into these places.....

Edited by Nash_12South
  • Like 4

Agree fully that this was inevitable.

On the change and adapt theme, Fork's recently underwent a major interior renovation, yielding a much nicer and user-friendly space.

My take is that Fork's and Corner are doing a very solid business but the owners were made strong offers. They took the offers and I congratulate them. I would have done the same.

The hope is that Fork's and Corner go to areas that will embrace them and that will be better due to the arrivals of the two businesses. And that Corner Partnership will be a good steward of the 12South property (which I believe they will). This can be a very good thing for all parties.

My point — and I appreciate your understanding, Nash12South — is that most changes (and this is one) come with some negatives. And we need to acknowledge the negatives to fully understand the positives.

I need to hit Fork's, Corner (and the Filling Station) more these next few months.

WW

• Like 4

One thing I wish would change is the name 12th South itself. Couldn't they have called that area Sevier Park (kinda like Sylvan Park)? After all, the park is named that.  It would just sound a little more distinct.

As for the road itself, I think it needs streetscaping all the way from 440 through Edgehill to the Gulch. If anyone is familiar with Bardstown Road in Louisville, that is the look that I would like to see.

• Like 2

On 6/10/2018 at 8:08 AM, MLBrumby said:

No!! Will planking go up at that side? Can't codes require street facing sides to be the same material as the "dominant" side (i.e. BRICK!)?

I'm confused, are you wanting to have a massive, solid brick looking structure? I feel like that would make this building look dull, blocky and antiquated. Hopefully it isn't cheap look board and batton, but I welcome a change of material here