Davidson Southeast: Antioch, Century Farms, East of Brentwood

smeagolsfree

2 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

According to fans of the speedway, it makes money hand over fist. 13k in bills doesn't seem like that much, how are they not paying that??

I have no problem with it being there. If they can't pay their bills that is a whole other problem that needs to be addressed. 

Everything I’ve heard is the speedway loses a ton of money. 

26 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

Why? It's an attraction for people to our great city that is affordable. While racing is not my favorite pastime and I have never been, I do want diversity in entertainment within Nashville. 

Its dilapidated and there are certainly better uses for the property.  Instead of giving subsidies for upgrades to the property we could have a private developer build something that would pay property taxes.  NASCAR and racing have had a pretty significant decline in popularity. 

• Like 3

The drop in NASCAR has been dramatic. Viewership for the first 6 races from '16-'17 dropped by 28%, and is continuing in '18. And longtime fans are losing interest because the rules have changed so much in recent years that the races now seemed contrived, or even rigged. By the time NASCAR's contract with Fox Sports expires in 2024, many believe there will not be an audience large enough to entice advertisers of any measure. Oddly, I think small tracks that run pure stock car races will see a bump in popularity because of the slick watering down of NASCAR. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davecaldwell/2018/05/02/stock-car-fans-continue-racing-away-from-nascar/#6953d8b01df5

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 2

It's funny, the fairgrounds is a perfect example of what NASCAR got away from, I can remember watching races at Watkins Glenn and Bristol with my grandfather growing up , these tiny little tracks with tons of wrecks and passing and it was exhilarating to watch. Now all the races are on these 2.5 mile monsters and it's just boooooring.

"The most preposterous innovation was to divide races into “stages,” where points are awarded after each segment and the cars are bunched back up and then restarted." 

What in the world?? I was going to say Nascar wasn't doing anything to mix it up, but this kinda takes away from the point of racing doesn't it??

Maybe they need some of their drivers to take a knee during the anthem to gin up some controversy. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

NASCAR is supposedly up for sale, so the new owners could very well look to return to some of the smaller venues at some point. I'd like to think the fairgrounds track still has a lot of useful years left in it -- upgrades would certainly help, but a lot of fans and racers prefer the smaller tracks over the big ones. 

• Like 3

It also hasn’t have helped that for the last 15-18 years the sport’s most popular driver was average as hell. There’s just a lack of personality in it now, along with all the rule changes. The racers from the sports beginnings all the way up till basically the death of Earnhardt Sr. were mostly alpha-type poor country boys who had worked on and built their cars for years, and raced them basically semi-pro until making the big circuit. Now the kids coming up are all rich kids who just happened to have parents with the free time and financial flexibility to travel all over the place on junior circuits. It really is a wonderful sport to watch when it’s not botched by dumb “competitive” rules, though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pdt2f said:

It also hasn’t have helped that for the last 15-18 years the sport’s most popular driver was average as hell. There’s just a lack of personality in it now, along with all the rule changes. The racers from the sports beginnings all the way up till basically the death of Earnhardt Sr. were mostly alpha-type poor country boys who had worked on and built their cars for years, and raced them basically semi-pro until making the big circuit. Now the kids coming up are all rich kids who just happened to have parents with the free time and financial flexibility to travel all over the place on junior circuits. It really is a wonderful sport to watch when it’s not botched by dumb “competitive” rules, though. 

Yep.  Those guys from the beginning up through Earnhardt Sr. were rough and tumble guys who lived the real "moonshiners running from the law" type of lives.  It was legit.  Not saying I would want to have anything to do with that crowd...up close...but the sport was organic, real and the fans were real fans.  I think this is part of why you see some of these people fight so hard to keep the status-quo at the Fairgrounds.  Something about that track and the early NASCAR history of the place is sacred to them.

2 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

I'd guess many (most) of those flea market people make most of their income from it, and they're afraid the costs associated with the revamp will knock them out of business. Has the matter of future rents been addressed? 

And maybe they're worried they will demolish the flea market area before the other area is built out...thus causing weeks or months of no flea market?

12 minutes ago, titanhog said:

And maybe they're worried they will demolish the flea market area before the other area is built out...thus causing weeks or months of no flea market?

To answer that. The flea market was moved to the lower portion, so that the flea market could continue operating while the new faculty was being built.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

To answer that. The flea market was moved to the lower portion, so that the flea market could continue operating while the new faculty was being built.

Yeah the flea market will be much improved, the soccer fields will bring new people to the area. The speedway is still a giant waste of space that few in county residents ever use or experience.

• Like 1

Found some pics of the LKQ building that is going up at the corner of Old Franklin Rd and Crossings Blvd in Antioch. 

Driving by it looks like all of the exterior walls are up. Another fun suburban office complex. 2 Stories with huge footprint for parking. 

image.thumb.png.107c9fbfeecb17ce625f641a16862c75.png

image.thumb.png.eaa9697d895a9dec850e1114fa5d1f71.png

Edited by bigeasy
  • Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 12:59 PM, PaulChinetti said:

The planning committee is bending over backwards to accommodate EVERYTHING that everyone wants. And people are still against it. Some people just cannot be pleased. 

So, they want to keep this....?

41772305454_ef91522230_c.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, PHofKS said:

So, they want to keep this....?

41772305454_ef91522230_c.jpg

They want to keep that area and not be relocated at the bottom of the hill. They want more parking. They want to have a say in schedule. And mainly, they want to make sure their rent doesn’t go up. 

Edited by nashvylle
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, bigeasy said:

Found some pics of the LKQ building that is going up at the corner of Old Franklin Rd and Crossings Blvd in Antioch. 

Driving by it looks like all of the exterior walls are up. Another fun suburban office complex. 2 Stories with huge footprint for parking. 

image.thumb.png.107c9fbfeecb17ce625f641a16862c75.png

image.thumb.png.eaa9697d895a9dec850e1114fa5d1f71.png

These things are such interstate destroyers. Metro should create a new annual fee for large scale properties based on how viable it is to commute some other way than alone in a car (transit access, sidewalks/bike lanes, nearby residential density, etc.). It should scale up based on the average rush hour speed on the nearest interstate.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AronG said:

These things are such interstate destroyers. Metro should create a new annual fee for large scale properties based on how viable it is to commute some other way than alone in a car (transit access, sidewalks/bike lanes, nearby residential density, etc.). It should scale up based on the average rush hour speed on the nearest interstate.

Well, to be fair, this one makes a little more sense than most because their business is used auto parts. More traffic equals more congestion which equals more worn out or wrecked automobiles to be picked apart.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, AronG said:

There are apartments, literally, right across the street with more apartments and condos just down the street - all <5 minutes walking. I can bike there in <10 minutes

This is the OPPOSITE of an "interstate destroyer", it is an interstate saver! Creating a mixed environment of residential, retail, and jobs is a good thing! Or does this forum only support that concept when it is downtown?

• Like 4