Davidson Southeast: Antioch, Century Farms, East of Brentwood

smeagolsfree

Found an article that did a bit more in depth look at the meetings (one back in the winter with Mayor Barry as well) between SMI and the city. 

https://autoweek.com/article/nascar/speedway-motorsports-remains-talks-bring-nascar-back-fairgrounds-speedway-nashville

I guess it shouldn't shock me that the current track operator came out against the MLS redevelopment plan. The other shocker to me was SMI did not want to buy the track, but rather wanted a 30-year lease so that they could recoup costs on initial cost burden (their bid asked the city to pay for major infrastructure, but it appears that has laxed). Big Machine Records founder, Scott Borchetta, appears to be playing a role in being a middle man as BMR is also the title sponsor for the track's biggest event of the year in a couple weeks.

• Like 3

Honestly - I want nascar back at the racetrack. I am not a racing fan, but racing is part of Nashville’s history, and it would bring more people to this area and next to the soccer stadium. It would also secure the long term livelihood of the track, easing fears of racing fans. 

Also, a powerful group like SMI invested in the fairgrounds would further the need for a long term parking solution with MLS. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

So how much would they have to increase the size of the track seating, or would it just be a smaller race?

It seems like a small capacity for Nascar when they have tracks that seat 180k.

Nascar is trying to get back into shorter tracks, mainly because the 180K / larger tracks are simply too big. 

I think the NFL stadiums over the next few years will start to scale back too. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

Nascar is trying to get back into shorter tracks, mainly because the 180K / larger tracks are simply too big. 

I think the NFL stadiums over the next few years will start to scale back too. 

I've thought that too. A buddy and I were discussing the Titans and how they should scale back to around 50k and make the top rows of seats that they take out another row of "more affordable" boxes. They would sell out constantly.

• Thanks 1

Eldora Speedway hosts the Truck Series and they only have about 17,000 seats. So capacity wise it is not a huge obstacle. They could probably add a grandstand around turns 3 and 4 and hit that figure pretty easy. SMI has stated that there would need to be other significant upgrades, such as a medical care center, probably added and upgraded restrooms, technology upgrades everywhere and also parking. There is an infield tunnel, so it is possible that some equipment could be stored outside the track along Craighead, but I would be curious about garage and work space. I am not sure how the Truck Series works in that regard to Eldora. The lower level racing series though do not need as much space as the big time racing divisions so the garage space is a lesser concern. 

Briley also mentions the contract with the Formosa family is a hindrance, but they already said they would be open to a partnership. Why not have SMI come in as a partner with a guarantee that once the contract is up, SMI would then get a lease that is the same length as whatever is remaining on the MLS stadium (25 years at that point?). SMI has mentioned they would only come in if they have a long enough lease to recoup their investment and if the city and SMI strike a deal to help each other with the initial investment (which the city will have to do for the expo buildings anyways) I do not see how a long term lease couldn't be struck. Win-Win and it begins to create a real epicenter of activity between both sporting venues and the expo buildings.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

There is an infield tunnel, so it is possible that some equipment could be stored outside the track along Craighead, but I would be curious about garage and work space. I am not sure how the Truck Series works in that regard to Eldora. The lower level racing series though do not need as much space as the big time racing divisions so the garage space is a lesser concern. 

The garage facilities at Eldora are located outside the track. CWTS races at Eldora are staged and pit stops aren't allowed outside the stage breaks.

I don't think NASCAR would allow the national circuits to run at the Fairgrounds Speedway unless the infield was significantly renovated (think Bristol's layout which is already sub-optimal). At a minimum the quarter-mile / figure-eight track would be removed which would hurt the marketability of the track that much more. The best we can hope for (and will probably get with SMI) is a return of K&N Pro Series East which has much more relaxed requirements for pit and garage facilities.

Again if SMI was serious about the Nashville market they'd pick up the superspeedway. Even if it is a cookie-cutter.

My vision for the Fairgrounds Speedway is to put the 35-degree banking back in the corners and go full Bristol. Better yet, rip out the pavement and go dirt. Cup races on a dirt version of Bristol, that will put butts in seats.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PruneTracy said:

The garage facilities at Eldora are located outside the track. CWTS races at Eldora are staged and pit stops aren't allowed outside the stage breaks.

I don't think NASCAR would allow the national circuits to run at the Fairgrounds Speedway unless the infield was significantly renovated (think Bristol's layout which is already sub-optimal). At a minimum the quarter-mile / figure-eight track would be removed which would hurt the marketability of the track that much more. The best we can hope for (and will probably get with SMI) is a return of K&N Pro Series East which has much more relaxed requirements for pit and garage facilities.

Again if SMI was serious about the Nashville market they'd pick up the superspeedway. Even if it is a cookie-cutter.

My vision for the Fairgrounds Speedway is to put the 35-degree banking back in the corners and go full Bristol. Better yet, rip out the pavement and go dirt. Cup races on a dirt version of Bristol, that will put butts in seats.

I dont really see national series coming to the track either, but would be excited for K&N or the Whelen Modified series.

The figure-8 track would definitely have to be removed, but I think the 1/4" mile oval could totally remain (think Charlotte Motor Speedway) and they could bring in quarter midget and other smaller engine racers.

I also disagree that you need the superspeedway to be serious. With how big the superspeedway is, it may require SMI to have more of cost burden to renovate and restart. Being that the superspeedway has fallen into complete disrepair, it would 100% be on SMI to bring everything back up to functioning status, they would prolly have to add grandstands for at least most of the front stretch (which is currently at 50,000 seats) and then  conquer the cost of the infield. With the fairgrounds, at least you could have talks about a partnership with the city, since they own it. Share some of the cost burden and have minimal investment. Or maybe they could have a ground lease sort of agreement where SMI operates and maintains the entire facility and tie it to the MLS stadium so the two venues can operate continually, together.

One of SMI's latest track acquisitions was New Hampshire Motor Speedway in 2008. From 2008 to 2013 they invested approximately 15 million into a one mile speedway that included adding a 1/4" mile track. Since 2013 it has been much simpler modifications around the race track property. The number for Nashville has been tossed around at 25 million. That buys for a little 5/8 mile speedway. It is also possible to build up the infield too. If they can fit these premier teams into Bristol and Martinsville (whether ideal or not the teams love those tracks), they could facilitate a race here (again, I dont think it would work with the premier levels, but its not impossible). 

Dirt would be extremely exciting here. I don't know the viability of doing dirt with the large banking, but it would be very entertaining. Also the 18 degrees that exists here is only a little bit more than Martinsville, and that produces some pretty awesome racing.

Edited by Bos2Nash

My question is whether or not someone with some massive forethought (maybe SMI) could figure out a way to turn the fairgrounds track into a totally different NASCAR animal.  Do something to the track to make it one of a kind...something NASCAR doesn't have.  Position ourselves to when NASCAR drops some of the races that aren't doing that well that they have to come here because we have something no one else has.  I don't know what that would be...but I feel with that historic track...maybe there's an opportunity to think outside the box.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, titanhog said:

My question is whether or not someone with some massive forethought (maybe SMI) could figure out a way to turn the fairgrounds track into a totally different NASCAR animal.  Do something to the track to make it one of a kind...something NASCAR doesn't have.  Position ourselves to when NASCAR drops some of the races that aren't doing that well that they have to come here because we have something no one else has.  I don't know what that would be...but I feel with that historic track...maybe there's an opportunity to think outside the box.

How about take the usual group of competitors and divide them into two separate qualifying prelims, then put the qualifiers into the feature race. It would make an entertaining evening and help to avoid overloading the facilities. 

Just spitballin' here.

2 hours ago, PHofKS said:

How about take the usual group of competitors and divide them into two separate qualifying prelims, then put the qualifiers into the feature race. It would make an entertaining evening and help to avoid overloading the facilities. 

Just spitballin' here.

How about a once a year NASCAR Relays later in the season?  Teams are decided by current standings with 4 teams of 10.   First group of 4 goes 10 laps.  Cars in the 2nd group can't start until their teammate completes 10 laps and makes it past a line in the pits.  You do this all the way until the 10 teams complete the relay.  Winning team members (10 racers) then run a 100 lap or 200 lap individual race a little later in the evening for the individual championship.  10 racers would receive a Relay Champion trophy and 1 individual racer would receive the Nashville NASCAR Relays individual trophy (Gibson guitar, of course).

1 hour ago, titanhog said:

How about a once a year NASCAR Relays later in the season?  Teams are decided by current standings with 4 teams of 10.   First group of 4 goes 10 laps.  Cars in the 2nd group can't start until their teammate completes 10 laps and makes it past a line in the pits.  You do this all the way until the 10 teams complete the relay.  Winning team members (10 racers) then run a 100 lap or 200 lap individual race a little later in the evening for the individual championship.  10 racers would receive a Relay Champion trophy and 1 individual racer would receive the Nashville NASCAR Relays individual trophy (Gibson guitar, of course).

There are so few people who would watch this.

The plan is to begin preliminary site work on the fairgrounds' new expo center by mid-October, assuming the necessary permits are obtained including a grading permit. The goal is for the first event inside the new facility to take place in the summer of 2019.

The new expo center, which will be the new home of the Nashville Flea Market and many other fairgrounds events, will consolidate multiple buildings spread out across the fairgrounds into one large comprehensive building. It's slated to include 125,000 square feet of conditioned space and 100,000 square feet of unconditioned space as well as outdoor open space. 

More at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2018/09/11/nashville-fairgrounds-reconstruction-timeline-set-after-mls-stadium-vote/1265845002/

• Like 4