Davidson Southeast: Antioch, Century Farms, East of Brentwood

smeagolsfree

2 hours ago, titanhog said:

Honestly...it's too bad there's not a whole lot more acreage on that site.  It WOULD be cool to have a first-class state fair...and if you could combine the fair going on with a NASCAR race on one weekend...an MLS match between us and Atlanta...and then a huge rock concert at the MLS stadium another night...all during the state fair...that would be one awesome place to be.

It would be like the Texas State Fair with the Texas-OU football game on-site. 

1 hour ago, MLBrumby said:

Pretty sure the Wilson County Fair is larger than the State Fair.  I believe there are others larger too.

I’ve been to plenty of county fairs, but never even thought to go to the state fair. It’s kind of an afterthought being at that dump. 

13 hours ago, markhollin said:

The plan is to begin preliminary site work on the fairgrounds' new expo center by mid-October, assuming the necessary permits are obtained including a grading permit. The goal is for the first event inside the new facility to take place in the summer of 2019.

The new expo center, which will be the new home of the Nashville Flea Market and many other fairgrounds events, will consolidate multiple buildings spread out across the fairgrounds into one large comprehensive building. It's slated to include 125,000 square feet of conditioned space and 100,000 square feet of unconditioned space as well as outdoor open space. 

More at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2018/09/11/nashville-fairgrounds-reconstruction-timeline-set-after-mls-stadium-vote/1265845002/

So happy the Fairgrounds will be Saved. Those buildings are really, really bad.

• Like 1

Drove past the Fairgrounds yesterday at 11 AM, and the State Fair was absolutely pathetic.   Only about a hundred cars in the parking lot.  The "Midway" had 6 rides.  I have seen carnivals in tiny rural towns with more activity.  Ugh.

On a related note, here are some pics I found of Fair Park back in the day, when the amusement park portion was a full-time enterprise.  The first 4 are from 1950.  The next 3 are from 1965.  The final aerial shot is from 1940, when the racetrack was still for horses.

Fair Park, 1950, 1.jpg

Fair Park, 1950, 2.jpg

Fair Park, 1950, 3.jpg

Fair Park, 1950, 4.jpg

Fair Park, 1965, 1.jpg

Fair Park, 1965, 2.jpg

Fair Park, 1965, 3.jpg

1940, Fairgrounds aerial looking east.png

• Like 4

I tried to approximate the angle as best as I could.  It looks like the old track was much larger but the grand stand was in the same location. Also, the expo buildings were in the same footprint as the current ones. 

I also find this interesting as the no MLS crowd seemed to keep saying that the race track had been there much longer. 

Screenshot_20180916-113446.png

4 hours ago, markhollin said:

Drove past the Fairgrounds yesterday at 11 AM, and the State Fair was absolutely pathetic.   Only about a hundred cars in the parking lot.  The "Midway" had 6 rides.  I have seen carnivals in tiny rural towns with more activity.  Ugh.

On a related note, here are some pics I found of Fair Park back in the day, when the amusement park portion was a full-time enterprise.  The first 4 are from 1950.  The next 3 are from 1965.  The final aerial shot is from 1940, when the racetrack was still for horses.

1 hour ago, volsfanwill said:

I tried to approximate the angle as best as I could.  It looks like the old track was much larger but the grand stand was in the same location. Also, the expo buildings were in the same footprint as the current ones. 

I also find this interesting as the no MLS crowd seemed to keep saying that the race track had been there much longer. 

The paved half-mile track was built in 1957, but auto races were taking place at the horse track as early as 1904 and at least annually (during the state fair) since 1915. It sounds like at some point the paved oval coexisted with a horse track, either the same one or a smaller one elsewhere on the property.

It would be interesting to know how often the track was being used for auto racing versus horse racing prior to the construction of the paved oval. All of the history items I've seen focus on auto racing for obvious reasons.

• Like 1

As much as I support the new MLS stadium at the Fairgrounds along with the other upgrades, I would hate to see the State Fair leave for a new site.

If it was done in the Titans parking lot you would need to build temporary faciilities for the agricultural exhibits because without the agricultural part it becomes just another mall parking lot carnival. So the new facilities at the Fairgrounds would be the best option.

Also, why not make the racetrack infield the new "MIdway?" I believe there is a lot more space there than where the Midway is now so there could be lot more rides and other fair "stuff'.

Learn from what has made the Wilson County Fair successful if need be but don't move it. The State Fair has been around for more than a century and a half and needs to be shown the honor and respect it deserves.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, bnacincy said:

As much as I support the new MLS stadium at the Fairgrounds along with the other upgrades, I would hate to see the State Fair leave for a new site.

If it was done in the Titans parking lot you would need to build temporary faciilities for the agricultural exhibits because without the agricultural part it becomes just another mall parking lot carnival. So the new facilities at the Fairgrounds would be the best option.

Also, why not make the racetrack infield the new "MIdway?" I believe there is a lot more space there than where the Midway is now so there could be lot more rides and other fair "stuff'.

Learn from what has made the Wilson County Fair successful if need be but don't move it. The State Fair has been around for more than a century and a half and needs to be shown the honor and respect it deserves.

agree and disagree.

Agree: The racetrack infield absolutely needs to be the new Midway. I am not sure why it wasn't that way in the first plaec
Disagree: The operators of the state fair, well before MLS was even considered for The Fairgrounds, have stated they need "at least 300 acres" for a successful state fair. The Fairgrounds is 117 acres, and not all 117 acres are usable. 

With that being said, I also hope the State Fair stays in Nashville, but I want it by the Titans parking lot. Nashville needs more cheap, family oriented options (especially for its residents), and the state fair right in the middle of the "New Nashville" / "Touristy" district would achieve that, and hopefully lead to more cheap family options in the city's core. 

7 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

agree and disagree.

Agree: The racetrack infield absolutely needs to be the new Midway. I am not sure why it wasn't that way in the first plaec
Disagree: The operators of the state fair, well before MLS was even considered for The Fairgrounds, have stated they need "at least 300 acres" for a successful state fair. The Fairgrounds is 117 acres, and not all 117 acres are usable. 

With that being said, I also hope the State Fair stays in Nashville, but I want it by the Titans parking lot. Nashville needs more cheap, family oriented options (especially for its residents), and the state fair right in the middle of the "New Nashville" / "Touristy" district would achieve that, and hopefully lead to more cheap family options in the city's core. 

What do they need the additional acreage for? More rides? More agricultural exhibits?

37 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

I am not sure, but if you look around at different fairs in Tennessee and in different states, I would imagine a lot of them have more acreage (and better infrastructure). 

OK....so I did a little research and here's what I think.

If the State Fair operators need 300 acres, here's a thought-keep the speedway, the Soccer stadium and flea market where they are and relocate the agricultural facilities and a brand new midway to the old Cornelia Fort airpark site. Looks like there's 300 acres there which could be accessed with a vehicular bridge constructed near the pedestrian bridge-not to mention from East Nashville as well.

That's the only area in Davidson County I could find with relatively easy access for tourist and locals alike where you could build permanent upgraded facilities and  infrastructure.

We're going to have to do something like that if we have to compete against the Wilson County Fair.

Edited by bnacincy
grammar
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, bnacincy said:

OK....so I did a little research and here's what I think.

If the State Fair operators need 300 acres, here's a thought-keep the speedway, the Soccer stadium and flea market where they are and relocate the agricultural facilities and a brand new midway to the old Cornelia Fort airpark site. Looks like there's 300 acres there which could be accessed with a vehicular bridge constructed near the pedestrian bridge-not to mention from East Nashville as well.

That's the only area in Davidson County I could find with relatively easy access for tourist and locals alike where you could build permanent upgraded facilities and  infrastructure.

We're going to have to do something like that if we have to compete against the Wilson County Fair.

Why do we need to compete against that fair?  

7 minutes ago, samsonh said:

Why do we need to compete against that fair?  

Wilson County Fair as Smeagolsfree mentioned has a higher attendance and is better organized.; The Expo center in Wilson County where the Fair is held is 270 acres which is much bigger than Nashville's Fairgrounds.

With so many entertainment options these days there are only so many 'Fair Dollars' people are willing to spend.

7 minutes ago, bnacincy said:

Wilson County Fair as Smeagolsfree mentioned has a higher attendance and is better organized.; The Expo center in Wilson County where the Fair is held is 270 acres which is much bigger than Nashville's Fairgrounds.

With so many entertainment options these days there are only so many 'Fair Dollars' people are willing to spend.

So let them have that and spend our resources elsewhere

• Like 1

The Carter Group will be expanding their 2 story structure at 517 Hagan St. in WeHo to 3 stories, and will be completed in the fall of 2019. The finished product will cover 27,000 sq. ft, will have an 80 space garage,  and a first floor restaurant.

More at Nashville Post here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21022686/weho-site-home-to-builder-will-be-redeveloped

Screen Shot 2018-09-17 at 1.06.30 PM.png

This screen shot from Smeagolsfree's excellent development map shows the site in teal at the center of the frame:

Screen Shot 2018-09-17 at 1.16.45 PM.png

1 hour ago, bnacincy said:

As long as the State Fair is held in the city of Nashville, maybe even anywhere in Davidson County, it will never compare to the Wilson County Fair. The fact is is that county fairs like the Wilson County one, have long traditions of cooking competitions, squash-growing competitions, demolition derby feuds, and a general community-atmosphere that goes back decades. Residents of the County all come together to compete and celebrate, and unless you grow up in Wilson County, you don't fully realize what a strong pull it has on your sense of community.

The state fair will never achieve this in Nashville. Things like 'old country style fairs' aren't as interesting to city-dwellers beyond the rides and food. The derbys, races, and competitions are what TRULY draws the crowds. Not to mention the WilCo fair has an entire recreation of an old settlers village with at least a hundred people dressed in period costumes doing educational, historical activities. 

In Nashville, it seems like the "State Fair" won't ever be anything but an afterthought to city residents. Nobody I know ever attends, let alone anyone I know my age (late 20s) that lives and works in the city. 

29 minutes ago, NashvilleObserver said:

As long as the State Fair is held in the city of Nashville, maybe even anywhere in Davidson County, it will never compare to the Wilson County Fair. The fact is is that county fairs like the Wilson County one, have long traditions of cooking competitions, squash-growing competitions, demolition derby feuds, and a general community-atmosphere that goes back decades. Residents of the County all come together to compete and celebrate, and unless you grow up in Wilson County, you don't fully realize what a strong pull it has on your sense of community.

The state fair will never achieve this in Nashville. Things like 'old country style fairs' aren't as interesting to city-dwellers beyond the rides and food. The derbys, races, and competitions are what TRULY draws the crowds. Not to mention the WilCo fair has an entire recreation of an old settlers village with at least a hundred people dressed in period costumes doing educational, historical activities. 

In Nashville, it seems like the "State Fair" won't ever be anything but an afterthought to city residents. Nobody I know ever attends, let alone anyone I know my age (late 20s) that lives and works in the city. 

Sounds pretty doomed! The "old country" aspect of the Wilson County Fair is the only thing interesting to me. Didn't used to be that way; growing up in Mt. Juliet, I hated country-related stuff. now that I've lived in California and Colorado, I love old country stuff and can't stand "hip" stuff....whatever that is.

My guess for the 300 acres would probably be for parking so they could benefit from parking fees. The current Fair is a joke after reading Marks post. Like only 6 rides for the fair, that is pathetic, not to mention the crappy buildings that are there. They just do not have the room to keep the Fair there and make it what it truly needs to and should be.

Most states have winners from district and county fairs to compete for the larger prizes in much better facilities. My guess is they move out of the Davidson County and the Fair grounds turn into our expo center for smaller events. Let Williamson County take over and have the State Fair there. 

Metro never kept the facilities up and barely spent money to keep the lights on.

Now if the wanted to do it right, then they could move the fair up to Joelton where they have the space, find a 300 acre farm and let the State build it and its not a Metro problem any longer. 

The State can afford to build a state of the art facility where they could do rodeos, fairs, concerts or what ever they wanted to do.

8 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

We did see a hell of a sunset, while waiting for the pig race, which is a sentence I've never typed before, haha.

That reminds me of the time my boyfriend and I went to Ft. Worth to visit one of his good friends.  His friend wanted to take us to the Stockyards to see a "real" Texas rodeo.  He was full of that Texas pride that it seems every Texan has.

When we got there, my boyfriend (who grew up in WV...yes he had teeth...and he was a mechanical engineer...so not a hillbilly :-) ) asked "will they have a mutton scramble?"  His Texas friend looked at him like he had 3 eyes and laughed and said, "Boy...this ain't West Virginia.  It's about horses and steers...ain't no sheep here."  At that moment, a gate opens and out runs a sheep with a little kid on his back!  I've never laughed so hard in my life!!  A little comeuppance for his Texas friend. 

• Haha 3