Davidson Southeast: Antioch, Century Farms, East of Brentwood

smeagolsfree

These will be on 4th Ave South just past Chestnut on the right, where the lumber yard is.

I feel like this is one of the next areas to flourish and form a nice community.

With developement like this, the whole Fort Houston area, and things such as the next Porter Flea being held in this area as well...things seem to be on the upswing.

I feel like this is one of the next areas to flourish and form a nice community.

With developement like this, the whole Fort Houston area, and things such as the next Porter Flea being held in this area as well...things seem to be on the upswing.

Speaking of.....your predictions are coming true.

It will be interesting to see what the city decides to do with Greer Stadium once the new ballpark is built.

I would like to see a mixed use development, maybe with a city park that ties into Fort Negley, which is basically adjacent to Greer.

New restaurant coming to Wedgewood-Houston neighborhood

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2014/04/new-restaurant-coming-to-wedgewood-houston.html

A new business permit has been filed for Clawson's Pub & Deli, a sandwich, craft beer and wine-by-the-glass restaurant in Nashville's Wedgewood-Houston neighborhood.

According to the permit, the restaurant will be located at 507-A Hagan St., near Greer Stadium and the building that houses David Lusk and Zeitgeist art galleries. According to the restaurant's website, it is set to open in 2014.

It's really amazing how these neighborhoods are just thriving around the core.  Seems each week brings another 1-3 plan(s) for some significant residential project. The city's challenge will be to keep up with these conversions from industrial to light industrial/residential with the proper infrastructure. Which leads to an obvious question... Is the Fairgrounds still a dump?  And am I to understand from the previous posts that there currently is NO plan for Greer after the new ballpark opens?

Is LP Field inadequate? I know its been used for soccer events in the past.

LP Field is more than adequate -- but there is no way that a semi-pro soccer team could afford to have their games there. Not to mention that a few hundred to a few thousand fans would look so pathetic in a 69.000 seat stadium.

It would be best to have them play in a small to mid sized stadium. Probably ~1,000-2,000 seats at first (so the crowd is concentrated) and expanding as it becomes necessary.

This will replace one of the SESAC buildings on the corner of 17th &Grand and 5 houses running back toward theUA tower.

I personally don't think that this one will be a good addition to anything/anywhere, but certainly not there.  It is more density, but that's about it.  Unless it has superior external classiness.  I haven't seen a lot of that in Nashville projects lately, with a few exceptions:  2400 West End was a pleasant suprise, I like Elliston 23, and I'm kind of optimistic about Buckingham.

It won't be long and most of the cool, old bungalow homes used as music offices will be gone.  Music Row will look like every other street in every other town.

I do agree with you for the most part, but at the same time, it's not like old bungalows don't exist in most every other town too.  I'm usually a staunch proponent of the conservation of our older building stock, but in terms of physical uniqueness I never thought Music Row had much of it.

I do agree with you for the most part, but at the same time, it's not like old bungalows don't exist in most every other town too.  I'm usually a staunch proponent of the conservation of our older building stock, but in terms of physical uniqueness I never thought Music Row had much of it.

I'm just lamenting the history of some of these old structures.  It's kinda like the old EMI building...that was the old Combine building before that.  Kris Kristofferson wrote many of his hits songs in that building...and then even more and more songwriters created history in that building.  There are just so many of those old, pretty cool structures where music history was made...including the quonset hut building that was encapsulated by the old Sony building later on.

Architectually speaking...most of the Row's buildings are nothing special...but there has been a lot of music history happen in those buildings...and so many are being torn down.  One day when the old folks who made music history drive up and down 16th and 17th, they won't be able to show a single structure where that magic took place.

I'm not sure there is an answer to any of that, because I do believe in capitalism and an owner's right to control his own property...but it still saddens me to see the area changing so much.

• Like 3

I've always had a spot in my heart for the old bungalows...it adds a certain character to the fabric of our built environment. That being said, I think the owners should have the ability to maximize their property value if there's demand for another type of structure...

What if the old bungalows were renovated into attractive commercial space on the interior? Do the economics of what they would rent for due to their uniqueness not make this option viable when compared to tearing them down and building something potentially more "bland"...?

Music Row has more than just craftsman bungalows.  It also has some true Queen Ann Victorians and quite a few circa 1910 foursquares, etc.  I am partial to almost any historic brick homes like that since Nashville is really dominated by wooden structures.  Plus, you just can't get good brick like that anymore, and I am told that there is an industry shortage of skilled masonry workers who do brick right.  Apparently that is why there are so few brick structures going up these days and the ones that do go up have that super wide mash of mortar in between the bricks that make the building look like a crossword puzzle.

Music Row definitely has its share of architectural uniqueness, just mostly of the bad variety.  On the other hand, the old United Artists building is one that I actually like because it is so typical of its time. 

There is a South Music Row CZO, but it is just the block from Magnolia to Horton or something like that.

Most of those homes are currently used for commercial space (multi-family residential is considered commercial as well).  It is precisely this commercial zoning with a lack of historic protection that threatens these buildings. If they were in a residential-only zoning area and/or one with historic protection, many of the houses on 16th/17th Aves would be the pride of the neighborhood.  See Belmont-Hillsboro. 

I've always had a spot in my heart for the old bungalows...it adds a certain character to the fabric of our built environment. That being said, I think the owners should have the ability to maximize their property value if there's demand for another type of structure...

What if the old bungalows were renovated into attractive commercial space on the interior? Do the economics of what they would rent for due to their uniqueness not make this option viable when compared to tearing them down and building something potentially more "bland"...?

Edited by bwithers1

I don't know when construction is to start. I would have to think its imminent if they are going to have students in 16-17 months.

Currently no one goes there. It is being used as storage for MNPS. The Hillsboro Cluster of elementaries is growing incredibly fast. They showed attendance figures at the meeting last night, but I didn't write them down. I believe the target number is right around 500 students. Julia Green and Percy Priest are already significantly over capacity, and were projected to be at 150% capacity by 2017-2018. Eakin is right at capacity now, and Sylvan Park is nearing capacity. This additional school doesn't do anything for Eakin or Sylvan Park in terms of capacity issues. The interesting thing is that this school is projected to be over capacity within three years opening as will the other schools in the cluster. There will have to be a new elementary school built within 5 years or so.

Edited by Hey_Hey