Davidson Southeast: Antioch, Century Farms, East of Brentwood

smeagolsfree

Looks like this run-down stretch of 8th (including the Little Caesars and the strip mall with Bolton's) will soon be replaced by a more pedestrian-friendly strip of retail.

Unfortunately, it appears that the Captain D's next door will remain untouched. 

I am concerned whether or not the demand exists for more retail and dining on this corridor. There are a few bays still open in the 8th South condo building as well as the Melrose addition (all of the bays are empty aside from the Regions bank).

Full flyer advertising the space: https://images1.loopnet.com/d2/bbwFD3HO8KWHsIEAarBj8ZaO9-LPQKlZBPiSe6XyTcY/document.pdf

Capture1.thumb.PNG.f93a74b76cc299004916990da98fb441.PNG

Capture2.thumb.PNG.2ca749dfcb887f05802b54004c98347a.PNG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, VSRJ said:

Looks like this run-down stretch of 8th (including the Little Caesars and the strip mall with Bolton's) will soon be replaced by a more pedestrian-friendly strip of retail.

Unfortunately, it appears that the Captain D's next door will remain untouched. 

I am concerned whether or not the demand exists for more retail and dining on this corridor. There are a few bays still open in the 8th South condo building as well as the Melrose addition (all of the bays are empty aside from the Regions bank).

I'd speculate that rents and retailers in this area are going to be in flux for years, as the type of business that succeeds here is going to be evolving. For decades the vast majority of businesses focused on snagging customers from the stream of commuters going back and forth between the suburbs and downtown (which is why current owners were highly invested in the bike lane-pocalypse of 2018). But now there's a huge new residential base within a matter of blocks, and it's only going to keep growing. That opens up a market for a very different class of businesses, ones targeting local customers and foot traffic. Should be fun to watch.

I think we need WAY more development just like that street fronting commercial strip on our primary corridors.  We just have such a massive amount of vacant or underutilized land along them, so these developments, which would be especially ideal if they each had a few residential units above the commercial space, help to rebuild (or build anew, in many areas) a real deal pedestrian friendly street wall while not risking an over-saturation of the apartment/condo market that I fear is a possibility if we continue to build practically nothing BUT these giant mega block residential complexes.  

• Like 3

that development at 8th and i65 looks great for that spot. one of the buildings there has been burned out for what seems like forever.

I actually like the strip with boltons as it is.  id rather see the liquor store and captain Ds on either side of it go.  not to say this plan is bad.  its fine.   Maybe im just partial to Boltons. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, volsfanwill said:

I honestly don't remember, but I pass it all the time and it seems like forever.

Me, too.  And every time I ask myself the same question, "When will someone do something with these old, empty, burned out buildings?"  Question answered!

A mixed-use project by Nathen Hysmith is being eyed for the nearly 3 acre parcel at 640 Merritt Ave. and 520 Hagan St. in WeHo. The current owner of the dual site is Swayze Properties, and they have it listed for $8.95 million.  Metro Planning will consider rezoning on March 14th from industrial to mixed-use. Currently Truck Center Inc. operates on the land. Smith Gee is involved with design for the project, which does not have a name or renderings as of yet.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21046164/wedgewoodhouston-eyed-for-mixeduse-project

Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 8.48.57 AM.png

This screen shot from Smeagolsfree's excellent development map shows the parcel, listed as Swayze Properties, highlighted in teal at the center of the frame.

Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 8.54.51 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 3.22.23 PM.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Lots of blue and red in this area on the map which means proposed and under construction. I would think that number will go even higher as the Soccer stadium gets closer. My guess is that you will see a flurry of activity south of the Fairgrounds next as there is a lot of land that can be redeveloped relatively easily.

I have a client who lives in the Woodbine area and is considering selling their home.  My UP knowledge enables me to give them better advice!  The recent announcements in WeHo give me some confidence that their home value is likely to appreciate over the next few years.

An entity known as Tennessee Whiskey Theater is looking at the .6 acre property just to the east of Adventure Science Center where Oak St. intersects with Bass St. Vine Street Partners JV bought the land in December for $1.52 million, and they have applied for water and sewer permits.  Catalyst Design Group is also involved.  Currently there is a warehouse on the site. No more details at this time.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/commercial-real-estate/article/21046303/nashville-yards-office-tower-work-starts

This screen shot from Smeagolsfree's excellent development map shows the site highlighted in teal at the center of the frame:

Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 12.38.34 PM.png

• Thanks 2

Some more details on the 8th & Bass project (16 posts above this) at 900 8th Ave. South:

• Price tag will be around $100 million for the 3 building project (two 7 story structures and a 3 story garage).
  • The hotel will have between 150-175 rooms, probably of Hilton or Marriott brand due to involvement of Nick and Nate Patel, who own a number of those brands. But it could also be a boutique that's not affiliated with a brand.
  • Moni Advani says he has the equity in place to secure the $25-30 million construction cost for the hotel.
  • The office building will cover 150,000 sq. ft., and he has four different office developers who are interested in partnering on the $60 million cost to build. He hopes to have that partner secured in next 2 months.
  • FranklinSynergy Bank has already loaned the group $10 million.
  • The land is in an Opportunity Zone so potential investors can reduce and defer their tax bill by becoming involved in the project or by investing in a tenant that might locate there and create jobs.

More behind the NBJ paywall here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2019/02/06/nearly-100m-project-pitched-at-gulch-gateway.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 3.39.59 PM.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Based on the number of parking spaces they're building with most of these new hotel projects, I'm guessing the percentage of visitors that drive is dropping pretty hard. I would never rent a car if I was visiting Nashville. I took an Uber from East Nashville to the gulch this weekend for $3. That's insane.

• Like 4