Davidson Southeast: Antioch, Century Farms, East of Brentwood

smeagolsfree

6 hours ago, markhollin said:

Some challenges for bringing NASCAR back to the fairgrounds racetrack outlined in this article from The Tennessean:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2019/04/04/mls-stadium-project-potential-roadblock-nascars-return-nashville/3355390002/

This article bothers me tremendously and all but proves the concern that the mixed use development is jeopardizing the existence of the speedway. I agree that Formosa's violations of time constraints is not acceptable, but if he is truly such a irresponsible operator, why on earth did the city reward him with a new 5-year contract??? Council member Sledge seems ready to bulldoze the speedway at first chance seeing as he is completely opposed to working the mixed use development around the entrance of the speedway.

SMI needs to present a viable option of private & public funds to help revitalize the race track. Why can't the city mimic a similar setup of money flow that they just agreed to for a new stadium (which we are investing over $200 million up front for) into an already existing facility (which has been operating in some capacity for over 100 years) to keep the racing in place. The quality of life concerns are valid up until to you reach the point of YOU BOUGHT A HOUSE NEXT TO AN ACTIVE RACETRACK!!!

Furthermore, if a viable private/public plan is put in place. Why couldn't a redesign of the entrance, grandstand access and car access to the track be implemented? Or is the location and design of the expo center already proving to be a short sighted endeavor in hindsight?

Edited by Bos2Nash
  • Like 1

I hadn't realized until now that there would be an apartment building 20 feet from the racetrack entrance. I'm a longtime race fan myself, but no way would I ever want to live in an apartment 20 feet from a racetrack entrance. That sounds like a horrible idea and a questionable use for the property. I'll be curious to see how the rental process goes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

YOU BOUGHT A HOUSE NEXT TO AN ACTIVE RACETRACK!!!

This is a bad argument.   Community, zoning and land use standards change over time, especially when it comes to a government owned property like the Fairgrounds.  Things Metro did or allowed to happen on Metro property around the city 30 years ago don't just stay that way forever because it was so once, only with racing at the Fairgrounds does that seem to become people's argument. The fact of the matter is no other neighborhood in the city would allow a new track to be built nearby, because of course the notion of having auto racing anywhere other than on thousand acre parcels in the outer suburbs is silly.  But the Charter is what it is, so racing must continue in some form  and Metro can still absolutely be able to set standards for what level of racing (i.e. local racing)  and how and when racing can occur (mufflers curfews) and that can change over time.  And  whoever races should have to comply with those standards.  The current folks break curfew constantly.    

Further, over time,  neighborhoods find their voice that may have been ignored, as was definitely the case for decades with the Fairgrounds area.   Metro officials are now just listening to community concerns, that  kinda seems like what they are supposed to do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It really IS a bad location for racing.  Think about all of the new residences either just built or soon-to-be built in that area.  I realize that long, long ago...that part of town was a little more "suburban"...and maybe the track fit...but the only thing that location has going for it (as far as a race track is concerned) is history.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, titanhog said:

It really IS a bad location for racing.  Think about all of the new residences either just built or soon-to-be built in that area.  I realize that long, long ago...that part of town was a little more "suburban"...and maybe the track fit...but the only thing that location has going for it (as far as a race track is concerned) is history.

I think it is a great spot for racing, BECAUSE it's in an urban area and so unique. There are a lot of noise complaints for Ascend Amphitheater and Nissan Stadium, but those locations are second to none. 

Are there any noise cancelling devices that could be incorporated? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nashvylle said:

I think it is a great spot for racing, BECAUSE it's in an urban area and so unique. There are a lot of noise complaints for Ascend Amphitheater and Nissan Stadium, but those locations are second to none. 

Are there any noise cancelling devices that could be incorporated? 

I'm talking as much about room to improve / grow as anything.  They are hemmed-in in a way that prevents them from doing much of anything to improve the track and make it palatable to someone like NASCAR for their big races.  We can probably get sub-NASCAR series in there...but I don't think that location can ever put on a Bristol-sized event...even though the actual tracks are comparable in size.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, titanhog said:

I'm talking as much about room to improve / grow as anything.  They are hemmed-in in a way that prevents them from doing much of anything to improve the track and make it palatable to someone like NASCAR for their big races.  We can probably get sub-NASCAR series in there...but I don't think that location can ever put on a Bristol-sized event...even though the actual tracks are comparable in size.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_motor_racing_venues_by_capacity

Some of these capacities. I knew they where big but holy lord. The track will never be able to compete with those. 

Watkins Glenn is still 35k.

6 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

This article bothers me tremendously and all but proves the concern that the mixed use development is jeopardizing the existence of the speedway. I agree that Formosa's violations of time constraints is not acceptable, but if he is truly such a irresponsible operator, why on earth did the city reward him with a new 5-year contract??? Council member Sledge seems ready to bulldoze the speedway at first chance seeing as he is completely opposed to working the mixed use development around the entrance of the speedway.

SMI needs to present a viable option of private & public funds to help revitalize the race track. Why can't the city mimic a similar setup of money flow that they just agreed to for a new stadium (which we are investing over $200 million up front for) into an already existing facility (which has been operating in some capacity for over 100 years) to keep the racing in place. The quality of life concerns are valid up until to you reach the point of YOU BOUGHT A HOUSE NEXT TO AN ACTIVE RACETRACK!!!

Furthermore, if a viable private/public plan is put in place. Why couldn't a redesign of the entrance, grandstand access and car access to the track be implemented? Or is the location and design of the expo center already proving to be a short sighted endeavor in hindsight?

So Ingram needs to change up his agreed upon plans in case SMI gets their funding together?

30 minutes ago, japan said:

So Ingram needs to change up his agreed upon plans in case SMI gets their funding together?

I think all that Ingram needs to do is show that an emergency vehicle can get in and out of the racetrack. 

That adjustment can be made, and it would go a long way of helping with race fans. 

• Like 2

Ingram claims to want to be a good neighbor. Time to put his money where is mouth is and make a shift in the mixed use building to allow for safe movement in and out of the race track. From a design standpoint it is complicated, but for the sake of the city charter and the fact that the people voted in favor of keeping racing on the site, METRO should've had a better foresight for the race track. The houses around the racetrack is a valid argument because racing is protected by the charter and essentially the growth of the city is bound to grow around the speedway.

Sledge is right in being concerned about the people living in his district. I ask the question again about the Formosa contract though. If he is such a bad operator and violates curfew time and time again, why did METRO award him a new five year contract over a team like SMI? Also, the stadium is gonna make some serious noise, just like Ascend and Nissan, why is that any different from the racetrack?

The fairgrounds speedway is by no means going to be a top competitor in terms of spectator seats. Some of those places are monsters, but also some of the most popular events are at smaller venues (ala Eldora). If NASCAR wants to bring the trucks and xfinity series to the track it could be huge! The unique location of the track could also make it a very fun experience. 

I am not mad at Ingram for doing what he can with the land. I find METRO at fault for a several issues surrounding the race track. We live in a city and there will be noise. As the city grows there will be noise everywhere. I fully support MLS and the development around the stadium, but I was also saying that METRO should be giving the same lease terms to the speedway as they are to the stadium. 

• Like 2

Eldora is still 30k. Which could be remedied by adding another grandstand, which would  eat up more parking/staging though.

I’m confused about this new building being too close and in the way. When the current one is right there. Is the current building used by emergency crews and fans?

Surley (don’t call me Shirley) the stadium will have a curfew for games and a curfew for concerts like Ascend does. 

Ground was broken yesterday for The Store, a modern food bank to look and work like a free grocery store at 2005 12th Ave. South.  It is a joint venture between Brad Paisley, Kimberly Williams-Paisley, and Belmont University.

More at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/entertainment/2019/04/03/brad-paisley-wife-kimberly-williams-the-store-belmont/3356662002/

Screen Shot 2019-04-05 at 6.55.24 AM.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Ground was broken yesterday for The Store, a modern food bank to look and work like a free grocery store at 2005 12th Ave. South.  It is a joint venture between Brad Paisley, Kimberly Williams-Paisley, and Belmont University.

More at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/entertainment/2019/04/03/brad-paisley-wife-kimberly-williams-the-store-belmont/3356662002/

Screen Shot 2019-04-05 at 6.55.24 AM.png

I think the idea for the store is great, the location just seems odd. Essentially on the Belmont campus and across the street from the gentrified 12South it's not exactly near it's demographic. Edgehill is close but is also being transformed. It's seems more an opportunity to "look good" rather than actually "doing good". Yes, I'm being cynical. 

9 minutes ago, Nash_12South said:

I think the idea for the store is great, the location just seems odd. Essentially on the Belmont campus and across the street from the gentrified 12South it's not exactly near it's demographic. Edgehill is close but is also being transformed. It's seems more an opportunity to "look good" rather than actually "doing good". Yes, I'm being cynical. 

I would imagine the location is because maybe Belmont donated it...and will possibly have a student internship program that helps run it?  I’m just guessing.  But...I bet a lot of underserved people will find a way to get there and take advantage of the store.

• Like 2

I haven't seen that property and I'm not sure how well it would accommodate motorized traffic, but if the clientele is coming mostly by care, they will need lots of parking. The Chattanooga area food bank is located off Riverside Dr. in an industrial area. I'd guess the CAFB serves a larger catchment area than this place is intended to serve. But there's a lot of traffic through their parking lot at certain times/days of the week. 

10 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

Eldora is still 30k. Which could be remedied by adding another grandstand, which would  eat up more parking/staging though.

I’m confused about this new building being too close and in the way. When the current one is right there. Is the current building used by emergency crews and fans?

Surley (don’t call me Shirley) the stadium will have a curfew for games and a curfew for concerts like Ascend does. 

According to their website, Eldora is technically just under 18,000 permanent seats with unlimited hillside seating. It seems like the only place additional seating or even open grass seating would be along the back stretch. Access roads are going to block adding seats to Turns 1, 3 & 4 and the creek is blocking Turn 2. Infield renovation could remove a lot of the staging requirements along Craighead. 

I dont quite understand the building being "too close" either. By looking at the aerial it appears ALL emergency personel vehicles enter the track through turn 1. My guess is they are worried about the arrangement of the parking structure and mixed use building creating a longer access to the track. It seems the mediation of the issue would be to provide the track with a solved access that would be guaranteed, even throughout construction. Ingram can't expect the track to halt operation due to his construction, so that access will always have to be guaranteed. I'm not sure what the soccer fields did to the access at Turn 1  from the south though. What does the current aerial look like?

image.png.11790f60c7d094422f988131a5da69d4.png

I would also presume the stadium will have a curfew, and I am also going to presume that some events will go over said curfew. Neighbors will find a way to complain, i'm sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nash_12South said:

A lot of Edgehill public housing residents currently walk up and get their food at the gas station on the corner of 12th and Wedgewood. This is basically 3 blocks away from that, and while that public housing will be transformed, the same number of low income residents will utilize it in the future.

• Like 1