Davidson Southeast: Antioch, Century Farms, East of Brentwood

smeagolsfree

https://www.sightline.org/2019/05/28/the-end-of-seattles-backyard-cottage-marathon/

Good little read on what Seattle is doing. In a recent design meeting for WeHo, the planning committee brought up the mother in law cottage, so it's definitely on their radar.

To summarize, the current proposal would:

• Up the per lot allowance from one ADU to two, with the option of one attached ADU (AADU) that’s part of the main house and one detached ADU (DADU) that’s a separate structure, or two AADUs.
  • Eliminate the requirement to provide off-street parking spaces.
  • Increase the maximum DADU size from 800 to 1,000 square feet.
  • Reduce the minimum lot size for DADUs from 4,000 to 3,200 square feet.
  • Raise allowed DADU height one to three feet depending on lot width or green building features.
  • Increase rear yard lot coverage limit from 40 to 60 percent for DADUs no taller than 15 feet.
  • Allow ADU entries on any façade as long as it’s 10 feet from property lines.
  • Raise the limit on unrelated occupants on a lot from eight to twelve.
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

https://www.sightline.org/2019/05/28/the-end-of-seattles-backyard-cottage-marathon/

Good little read on what Seattle is doing. In a recent design meeting for WeHo, the planning committee brought up the mother in law cottage, so it's definitely on their radar.

To summarize, the current proposal would:

• Up the per lot allowance from one ADU to two, with the option of one attached ADU (AADU) that’s part of the main house and one detached ADU (DADU) that’s a separate structure, or two AADUs.
  • Eliminate the requirement to provide off-street parking spaces.
  • Increase the maximum DADU size from 800 to 1,000 square feet.
  • Reduce the minimum lot size for DADUs from 4,000 to 3,200 square feet.
  • Raise allowed DADU height one to three feet depending on lot width or green building features.
  • Increase rear yard lot coverage limit from 40 to 60 percent for DADUs no taller than 15 feet.
  • Allow ADU entries on any façade as long as it’s 10 feet from property lines.
  • Raise the limit on unrelated occupants on a lot from eight to twelve.

The result of the zoning change will be lots more DADUs.     WeHo should tread carefully here.   It's not like there is a sudden migration of mother-in-laws into these neighborhoods.     The goal for proponents is to allow more DADUs which can then be used for short term rentals (AirBnb).      Unless there is a concurrent tightening of STR permitting, the result if this is passed will be an influx of investors buying single family homes, building a nice size guest house in the backyard and renting out both properties as STRs.     People who just want to live in a residential neighborhood will eventually leave or not buy there.      Seattle has some STR restrictions currently in place to address this, but as we know, Nashville is still in its love affair with STRs. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, CenterHill said:

The result of the zoning change will be lots more DADUs.     WeHo should tread carefully here.   It's not like there is a sudden migration of mother-in-laws into these neighborhoods.     The goal for proponents is to allow more DADUs which can then be used for short term rentals (AirBnb).      Unless there is a concurrent tightening of STR permitting, the result if this is passed will be an influx of investors buying single family homes, building a nice size guest house in the backyard and renting out both properties as STRs.     People who just want to live in a residential neighborhood will eventually leave or not buy there.      Seattle has some STR restrictions currently in place to address this, but as we know, Nashville is still in its love affair with STRs. 

That wouldn't work currently as there are no more permits being given for STRs that are non-owner occupied. 

Investors could buy a single family home, build a nice size guest house and then rent both in the normal fashion. Which could increase the housing stock overall.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

That wouldn't work currently as there are no more permits being given for STRs that are non-owner occupied. 

Investors could buy a single family home, build a nice size guest house and then rent both in the normal fashion. Which could increase the housing stock overall.

It is type 1 (owner occupied) if it is part of the same plat,  even if it is a different structure. 

"Owner-occupied residence or on a lot with an owner-occupied residence." 

Maybe you both get this, but Paul, you are correct that you can't rent out both. There likely would still be a giant influx of airbnb's, though. 

Edited by 12Mouth

22 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

@PaulChinetti I'd prefer to see WeHo become much more dense. Do you think it will remain Single Family residences?

I think some areas will. Just depends if more Southgate type developments happen or not, it’s probably not possible to assemble that large of a collection of land anymore in the area and still be worthwhile to developers  

There are still a lot of areas that could be built up. I mean there is an actual trailer park on Hamilton I think it is.  

More duplex/triplex/flats type developments I think need to start happening in all the neighborhoods closer to downtown, so hopefully that will happen. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

^^I really hope the city can find a way to work with SMI...and that SMI will spend money to upgrade the track.  Then...maybe NASCAR will eventually do what's best for the sport and go back to tracks like this one and make the sport more fan-friendly and reinvest in some of the traditional NASCAR cities like Nashville.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, nashvylle said:

World of Outlaws 

70620C88-2278-4CEC-900F-0DD4DDBE5F83.png

B5DA2C5E-2CA7-47F9-875E-66546109B5AB.png

It's a little hard to tell from these photos, but Saturday actually was standing-room-only for the World of Outlaws event. And the promoters for this event stuck firmly to the 10:30 p.m. curfew Friday night and actually chose to not to run the final race that night in order to comply -- proof that it can be done, even if the track's regular promoters don't seem to abide by those rules.

I really hope the success of this weekend opens some eyes to the potential of this track. I've heard some of the racers and fans spoke very highly of Saturday's event despite having the navigate the construction mess.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Jamie Hall said:

It's a little hard to tell from these photos, but Saturday actually was standing-room-only for the World of Outlaws event. And the promoters for this event stuck firmly to the 10:30 p.m. curfew Friday night and actually chose to not to run the final race that night in order to comply -- proof that it can be done, even if the track's regular promoters don't seem to abide by those rules.

I really hope the success of this weekend opens some eyes to the potential of this track. I've heard some of the racers and fans spoke very highly of Saturday's event despite having the navigate the construction mess.

what would you say- 15K were in attendance?

29 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

what would you say- 15K were in attendance?

I'm terrible with estimates, so I can only say that the grandstands were at capacity or very close to it Saturday -- and that's not including the people in the pit area. The cheapest grandstand tickets that I saw were $40. That seems to be a pretty good indicator of what can be done at that track with creativity in planning and promotion. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

312 Pizza on Nolensville has closed. Their germantown location is still open. 

I think it was just killed by a terrible layout, that space was just bad for them.

312 is selling their pizza in a few breweries, I think.  Perhaps their distribution model has changed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

312 Pizza on Nolensville has closed. Their germantown location is still open. 

I think it was just killed by a terrible layout, that space was just bad for them.

I read in one of the dailies a few months ago when they closed that the owner claimed they were just too far ahead of the curve on development in the neighborhood, and just weren't pulling the customers they had hoped.  He hinted that they might want to try it again in that area in a few years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

312 Pizza announced their closing not long after Nashville SC announced the soccer stadium wouldn't be ready until 2022.    I don't know if they would have stuck it out if the stadium had stayed on track for 2021 but 312 was clearly betting on the soccer stadium driving development and and customers the way the Sounds move to Germantown did.   

Edited by thenorthchannel
typo
  • Like 2

My experience is that metro/NES doesn't put any thought into the location other than "convenient", and the developer doesn't pay attention until its too late to move them. They will install landscaping and hope no one notices. You'd think they could have at least located them on the other side of the wall to hide them from approaching traffic.

Edited by Nash_12South