Davidson Southeast: Antioch, Century Farms, East of Brentwood

smeagolsfree

Ben Freeland has revealed some of his plans for the redevelopment of the 27 acre Hickory Hollow Mall complex.  He has a pending purchase in place. Here are some of the firms involved:

• Hawkins Partners Inc. (urban planning and design)
  • Manuel Zeitlin Architects 
  • Barge Cauthen & Associates (civil engineering)
  • KCI Technologies (traffic engineers)
  • OpenWorks (real estate consultant)
  • WTL +a (research)
  • The Strategy Group (communications and community engagement)

Freeland said he wants to solicit community feedback at a 6 p.m. public meeting on Oct. 8, at the Southeast Nashville Community Center. He's also setting up an online survey for residents.

He hopes to have preliminary plans ready for the public by mid-November.

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2019/09/27/freeland-reveals-development-team-pursuing-antioch.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

The Metro Planning Department recently held a series of meetings to update the community plan in the Wedgewood-Houston area.

A draft of the plan was presented on Sept. 17, with a final draft expected to be presented to the planning commission in the fall.

Ed Branding, a veteran Nashville-based real estate analyst, attended the meetings and offered the Post his assessment.

“The starting point for Wedgewood-Houston is realizing that it is not one neighborhood but several quite different sectors. The planning department divided it into six zones and the attendees stayed with that.

“Section 1 is the ‘bowl’ of the area located southeast of the former Greer Stadium/Fort Negley. This area has been recognized for small industrial users and, as those have aged, it is being transitioned to residential, craft brewers, specialty shops, the May Hosiery Mill that will become a SoHo House hotel, etc.

“Section 2, to the south, offers single-family homes from the top of the hill at Merritt Avenue all the way to Wedgewood Avenue, Stewart Place to Fairgrounds Nashville. While some houses have been torn down and replaced with ‘tall skinnies,’ the desire is to retain the remaining house types. Preserving what’s left of the original well-maintained residential neighborhood was one of the most stated community comments. That effort is aided by the fact that every property located south of Southgate Avenue is eligible to be listed on the National Historic Register.

“Section 3 is the Cameron-Trimble neighborhood, from the railroad to Lafayette Street. Cameron Middle School and the area's roots as the original site of Meharry Hospital are considered to be paramount. Several years ago, Rusty Lawrence's Urban Housing Solutions renovated a derelict apartment building on North Hill Street, proving once again that well-done affordable housing is often the first step in turning around a depressed area.

“Given the run-down nature of many of the homes here, teardown-to-two-build is much needed. A string of empty buildings fronts Lafayette Street, but some developers are waiting until MDHA's Envision Napier and Sudekum plan is further along before looking at the area. The active listing for sale of the former Cee-Bee grocery store at Wharf Street is at least a start.

“Section 4 is the strip right down the middle of the map, I-40 to the fairgrounds, the railroad to the Third Avenue South alley. Its largest land areas are the city cemetery and Dudley Park. So any development of the small commercial and industrial properties in that corridor will either be small scale or will require assemblages of parcels. The triangular piece on Ensley Boulevard may have to wait until updates regarding transit, soccer and the fairgrounds are decided.                                                      

“Section 5 parallels I-65 and goes east until just past the railroad tracks. This is populated with larger industrial buildings and truckyards. The deep-in properties will stay industrial; any activity will be on the northern end, across Chestnut Street from Fort Negley. The owner of the two large lots is Vanderbilt University. So there should be no difficulty negotiating a deal there.

“Section 6 is located between Lewis Street and Brown's Creek, with the residential on the west side of Lewis and the small industrial properties to the east. Given the 2010 flood, potential buyers need to consult new property maps and FEMA flood maps to check parcel viability. This is the one area in all of this land mass where topography is an issue. That and the aptly named North Hill Street. Everything else is pretty flat. The bowl that is Section 1 is flat; after one climbs the hill at Merritt Street, that is flat, too.

“Sections 1 and 5 are a Nashville Next Tier One Center, which means that many of the WeHo properties will require sidewalks when developed. Some of the R-6 zoning has become R-6A, so there are new requirements for building placement and walkability (again, sidewalks). And fully half the properties in the whole of the six sectors are worthy of conservation, which is worthy of noting as the Metro Historic Commission is looking to update and make more uniform some of its requirements for renovating noted properties. The basic Nashville Next plan in this area still calls for mixed-use and new housing options, so some of the higher development costs can be offset by higher density. Both census tracts (160 and 161) are opportunity zones and promise zones and are considered qualified census tracts related to the low-income housing tax credit.

“The big unanswered questions for Wedgewood-Houston  actually lie outside of the district. The future of the Greer Stadium/Fort Negley site. Soccer. The Fairgrounds. NASCAR. Transit. Envision Napier and Sudekum. But for now, there is an updated road map for yet another neighborhood that has gone from blue collar to millennial, coffee thermos to latte cup. It has moved from ‘Who'd ever want to live there?’ to ‘I want in.’

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21089269/belmont-arts-center-project-progresses

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think it's the first plan that really listened to the neighborhood's concerns. 136 parking spaces is essentially equivalent to what's currently there, and rarely used. No housing  is a surprise, but with a lot of the newer apartments shifting to STRs in theory folks should like it. 

The possibility of a 4 way stop at Linden I don't think will fly as traffic already backs up there. Maybe a light instead.

The problem will be that there will always be folks who will oppose everything that is proposed, no matter the details.

1 hour ago, markhollin said:

-  It would now be a total of 70,000 sq. ft. (43 K ground floor retail/restaurant spaces, 27 K 2nd floor office space) as opposed to previous iterations of 170 K and 130 K that had 4 story set-ups.

That's quite the scale back. Did they just go into the first iteration knowing they would be pressured to scale it back?

Just now, PaulChinetti said:

That's quite the scale back. Did they just go into the first iteration knowing they would be pressured to scale it back?

This is their third stab at it in a Community Meeting.  First was 170,000 sq. ft., second was 130,000 sq. ft.  There was too much pushback, so they cut back to this.

• Like 1

As far as fitting in with the existing neighborhood plan, I think this is fantastic. I imagine that there will still be some opposition, but it will not be sufficient to stop this. The biggest problem looks like that Linden intersection and I have no idea how to fix it. I suspect that if they put up a four way, a lot of through traffic will be driven onto 10th and Belmont, but even 10th has a bunch of four ways now.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, 12Mouth said:

As far as fitting in with the existing neighborhood plan, I think this is fantastic. I imagine that there will still be some opposition, but it will not be sufficient to stop this. The biggest problem looks like that Linden intersection and I have no idea how to fix it. I suspect that if they put up a four way, a lot of through traffic will be driven onto 10th and Belmont, but even 10th has a bunch of four ways now.

12 South Flats (which is a larger development) is just down the road with a similar single entry with no stop sign and works fine. Yes is stops traffic, but momentarily. 

3 minutes ago, Nash_12South said:

12 South Flats (which is a larger development) is just down the road with a similar single entry with no stop sign and works fine. Yes is stops traffic, but momentarily. 

Right, but there is not a road from the other side going right into the same intersection as their parking entrance. But maybe you are right and cars will just naturally adjust their patterns (i.e. stop making left turns off of linden). 

• Like 1

Yeah I've been wondering about that one @MLBrumby the bottom side is technically an alley I think and has never had sidewalks. So I wonder if they will do like their rendering and add sidewalks. The top side has sidewalks on the other side and I wonder the same if they will do like their rendering. 

• Like 1