Davidson Southeast: Antioch, Century Farms, East of Brentwood

smeagolsfree

A 2 story, 10,400 sq. ft. office building that is currently u.c. at 2320 Eugenia St. is being offered for sale at $3.5 million.  The building should be complete by November.

More at The Nashville Post here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/commercial-real-estate/article/21136109/south-nashville-property-listed-for-sale-for-35m

2320 Eugenia Ave. June 4, 2020, site.png

2320 Eugenia Ave. June 4, 2020, site map.png

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

Essentially, Nashville was the #1 market that NASCAR was trying to get into, which is what led to conversations about the track in Wilson Co.

Dover is going to be making improvements to the Superspeedway, and SMI is going to continue to pursue upgrades at the Fairgrounds track. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, downtownresident said:

Essentially, Nashville was the #1 market that NASCAR was trying to get into, which is what led to conversations about the track in Wilson Co.

Dover is going to be making improvements to the Superspeedway, and SMI is going to continue to pursue upgrades at the Fairgrounds track. 

Sounds like one way or another...we're probably going to have the Cup series back in Nashville for a while...which is another sports feather in our cap.  NASCAR is still a mostly southern sport...though it has branched out some.  The smaller crowds and more southern dates will help the sport.  Hopefully, it will return to some of the edge it had when guys like Dale Sr, Gordon, Martin, Petty, etc were winning.  Too sanitized these days.

I never watched much...other than I like Mark Martin since he was from my home state...but honestly, it's kinda boring unless they crash.

• Like 1

The Tennessee State Fair has been canceled  (Sept. 11-20 at Fairgrounds) due to Covid-19.  Will happen next in 2021.  I doubt it will be at the same locale at that point, though, since the soccer stadium construction will be well underway.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/tourism/events/article/21136556/tennessee-state-fair-canceled-due-to-virus

• Like 1

It's rather interesting to see... naturally the competitive juices got pumping when one of the two dominant players in the "sport" made their intentions public. Then the other one declared their intentions... and they had a track already built, but abandoned years ago. Boom! Isn't competition great? And I say that as someone who essentially dismisses NASCAR as a second/third tier activity staged for television. That notwithstanding, congrats to all you NASCAR fans. Now you need to keep Nashville worthy of their 'generosity'.  

• Like 1

SoHo House (49 room boutique hotel) in May Hosiery update: An $8.3 million permit has been granted to Bell & Associates for construction at 500 Houston St. 

The documents suggest a building located at 1201 Brown St. will be given an addition that would include a swimming pool and a club space. The boutique hotel itself will partially face Houston Street.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21136656/gulch-project-progresses-via-permit

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This maybe appears to related to the sport/facilities thread that @nashvylle pointed out?

3 hours ago, nashvylle said:

District 17 CM Colby Sledge has a different take. I for one would like to see the upgrades... more billionaires involved in a site = a better overall site IMO.

https://twitter.com/Sledgefor17/status/1270130222915096579?s=20

If there was even a line item in there, I would hope the city council would bring it to the community. I find it funny that Colby wants to point the finger at SMI, yet a line item magically appears in the city budget and all there is blame on SMI?? I'm not disagreeing that there will need to be community meetings and SMI needs to pay up on  at least a portion of the improvement costs, but Colby can squarely blame SMI for this as SMI really has no control over the city's budget

1 hour ago, Bos2Nash said:

This maybe appears to related to the sport/facilities thread that @nashvylle pointed out?

If there was even a line item in there, I would hope the city council would bring it to the community. I find it funny that Colby wants to point the finger at SMI, yet a line item magically appears in the city budget and all there is blame on SMI?? I'm not disagreeing that there will need to be community meetings and SMI needs to pay up on  at least a portion of the improvement costs, but Colby can squarely blame SMI for this as SMI really has no control over the city's budget

The Capital Improvements Budget comes from the Mayor's Office alone,  and the Mayor's Office has been meeting in secret with SMI for months.   So it seems those two entities are both to blame.   

When the soccer team  was making their pitch,  they did so in a very public manner and scheduled like a dozen community meetings  before you even got to the Metro Council considerations and the multiple Fair Board hearings and meetings.   

This SMI stuff is the opposite of that,  so what is it about their plan that they feel the need to keep it hidden and try to get the financing pushed along first?  

• Like 4

I agree that things need to be more transparent and shame on the Mayor's office for not doing that with these discussions. It seems like our city government (present and past) loves secret meetings about potential city owned land (ie Paramount Tower land swap deal). Granted sometimes these things are done just so framework can be put in place, but the optics are never good.

I think the soccer stadium is a slightly different scenario as the deal includes the soccer team owning the stadium outright along with the ground lease for 10-acre development. The racetrack is completely owned by the city and the city is trying to bring in an economic driver. Unless the city is going to turn over the racetrack to SMI (which I think is not allowed under the charter??), there is going to have to be alot more back and forth between the city and SMI on how the improvements are paid for. Again, this doesn't excuse the lack of transparency on the meetings between the mayor and SMI, but it is still a different situation.

I just didn't like the way Colby immediately points to SMI, when it is shared blame, between SMI and the Metro government. 

• Like 1

The soccer team will not own the soccer stadium.  The Metro Sports Authority owns it (after leasing the land from the Fair Board) and the soccer team has a lease with the Sports Authority.  Don't fault the misunderstanding,  the SOF crew  (and Cooper)  repeatedly spread this claim during the debates....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

This project was moving slow pre-covid it's been at a standstill since. Not sure what's going on with it.

I've seen slow progress continuing, but you're right, they've been tinkering with some of these empty buildings for years now.

22 hours ago, Melrose said:

The soccer team will not own the soccer stadium.  The Metro Sports Authority owns it (after leasing the land from the Fair Board) and the soccer team has a lease with the Sports Authority.  

You're right, my apologies. The Sports Authority have a 30-year ground lease in which they are responsible for design and construction (in which StadiumCo is ultimately paying for). Basically StadiumCo has final say over design and construction of a facility and are spending their money on something that will be brand new, designed to their needs.  

Again, I am recognizing that that this is still a different scenario than the speedway. The city is the owner of the existing track and is expressing interest in having NASCAR return to the city. SMI is an interested party in promoting - and having a very good track record (racetrack pun) - such events. So that says there has to be some form of framework for upgrading the facility to have these sanctioned events back at the speedway.  SMI should not be squarely responsible for the upgrades unless they are given preferential control (same preferential treatment the soccer team will get with the stadium) of the speedway for no less than 30 years (same term of the lease with the team, with rent obviously). Issuing the $50 million in some form of bonds and allowing revenue from the track pay back the bonds sounds pretty fair, and would make the burden of upgrading alot less. $50 million stretched over 30-years is a lot less per year from a revenue perspective than $250 million.

I agree that transparency is necessary for the process, but my initial comment still stands that I don't like how Council member Sledge completely blamed SMI when he should have pointed to the mayor's office in the same breathe.