Davidson Southeast: Antioch, Century Farms, East of Brentwood

smeagolsfree

1 hour ago, Nash_12South said:

How narrow Lawrence currently is also came up. There is currently parking on both sides with what's left being too narrow for 2 cars to pass easily.

I'd consider that a plus if I lived there, it's one of the only ways to get people to drive slower.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, markhollin said:

902 Murfreesboro Pike has been razed (formerly Spear Realty).  Not sure what is going in it's place.

Looking NE from Murfreesboro Pike, 1/4 block SE of Foothill Drive:

Almost any kind of new development along Murfreesboro Pike would be a welcome addition. That area has been ripe for change for quite a while.

• Like 2

A 1 story retail building will be built on the site that currently houses Athens Restaurant and 5 smaller businesses. HNP Properties is the long-time owner and will oversee the new development. No word on how many sq. ft. the structure will have.  Athens has been a tenant at the one-time fast food chicken building for 16 years, and is looking for a different location.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/food-business/article/21147156/berry-hill-greek-restaurant-to-close

2526 8th Ave South, April 16, 2021, render 1.png

2526 8th Ave South, April 16, 2021, render 2.png

2526 8th Ave South, April 16, 2021, site.png

• Sad 2

Does anyone know which chicken chain used to occupy the building?

I only went to Athens once and was pretty underwhelmed, but perhaps that was just an anomaly.

Pretty soon 8th is just going to be a row of 1-story strip centers (see the other one under construction where Bolton's stood).

I think part of what's happening on this stretch of 8th is an attempt for a more urban feel with the new construction pushed to the street and parking in the rear. Hopefully, piecemeal, 8th will get more sidewalks and it will get a little more easily walkable. Don't love the design, but economically, it's where that area is. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, VSRJ said:

I only went to Athens once and was pretty underwhelmed, but perhaps that was just an anomaly.

Pretty soon 8th is just going to be a row of 1-story strip centers (see the other one under construction where Bolton's stood).

Kinda looks like a Mrs. Winters maybe?

5 minutes ago, VSRJ said:

I'm pretty sure it was Mrs. Winner's / Lee's. That was their style of building (incidentally the Bellevue Diner, which was formerly another Athens location, is also in an old Mrs. Winner's building). I miss Mrs. Winner's.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, PruneTracy said:

I'm pretty sure it was Mrs. Winner's / Lee's. That was their style of building (incidentally the Bellevue Diner, which was formerly another Athens location, is also in an old Mrs. Winner's building). I miss Mrs. Winner's.

'Twas the very first place I ate when I moved to Nashville the first time in July of '82.  

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Nash_12South said:

I think part of what's happening on this stretch of 8th is an attempt for a more urban feel with the new construction pushed to the street and parking in the rear. Hopefully, piecemeal, 8th will get more sidewalks and it will get a little more easily walkable. Don't love the design, but economically, it's where that area is. 

Yeah, I think you are mostly correct, but it is not exactly urban. I also think that what we are seeing is also being driven by the fact that 8th is a four lane highway. Even if you put sidewalks in at this point and put parking in the back (which are both great progress - don't get me wrong), the developments all still feel like they are being built for people to drive to. I think it would have been interesting to see what would have happened to some of these developments if the plan to push it to three lanes had gone through. You have a fair amount of density there now, but nobody walks and I'm not sure sidewalks are going to have a huge impact on this. People don't like walking next to four lane 50mph traffic. So what do you get in these new strip malls? A bunch of businesses that people drive to - medical offices, banks, verizon stores, etc.

• Like 1

What now? People walk constantly on 8th, and they are walking on the shoulders, through parking lots, and even in the road. And in large groups, just yesterday I saw a group of 6 use the crosswalk across Craighead from the sidewalk in front of those apartments to be unceremoniously dumped right into the grass in front of the Comcast store  

It might be 4 lanes but anything beyond 35-40mph has long pasted 8th unless in the middle of the night, with all the lights people turning off/on to the street it’s really very slow and desperately could use sidewalks on both sides. 

• Like 2

He will have to put a sidewalk in front of his building when built. At some point sidewalks will be built on both sides through Berry Hill and Metro, but it is going to take some time. Yo have people that go over the speed limit everywhere and I think the speed limit is 35.  I rarely can get over that speed because of the people pulling out in front of me and the  amount of traffic anyway.

Berry Hill police used to work the speed zone pretty hard thru there back in the day, but they seem to be none existent now. As a matter of fact Metro hardly writes tickets. I was on 440 the other day going 65 in a 55 being passed by cars going 80 and there was Metro paying no mind to any of us at the bottom of the West End ramp.

• Like 1