Davidson Southeast: Antioch, Century Farms, East of Brentwood

smeagolsfree

1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

Pretty bold proposal. And the conceptual drawings look neat. Would love to see this prime property reach a highest and best use. Adventure Park seems a bit of a misnomer, though. I was picturing zip lining over lions, tigers and bears - not senior housing, luxury apartments, affordable housing, a farmer's market and indoor soccer field. Oh, and I was picturing the whole thing being a 'park'. Maybe 'Adventure' refers to the developer's coming tribulations getting this approved and funded. Might wanna consider a name change, just my opinion. 

• Like 3

Ambitious is a good description.    

Quote from the would-be developer:  “I see a huge need for an indoor soccer complex for the kids to come enjoy. We don’t have one in Nashville,” said Devinder Sandhu.

Not quite accurate as there are several indoor soccer complexes within Metro.    But I would agree we need more and better.   Something like the former A-Game complex in Cool Springs.    

Edited by CenterHill

We've been talking about this on Nextdoor with some other folks and I thought these quotes were pretty interesting.

"“It’s ridiculous. I already sit, sit, sit and sit in the traffic,” Welch said. “I think the traffic would get worse with two lanes.”"

“For me, having a dedicated bike lane would be heaven,” McDonough said. “I don’t think we design our roads for multiple modes of transportation, and we need to.”

Two very different responses. Also I wish I would have known about this meeting. These are two people getting their voices heard who don't even live in the area and just drive through!

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, REP said:

The majority of resistance that I've seen on this topic is coming from the outer lying neighborhoods (Brentwood, Oak Hill, Crieve Hall, etc) that use Franklin / 8th Ave S as a way to bypass I-65.

Agreed 100%. 

The people moving into the new condos and in 2300 really need to get involved with this. They are the ones that are going to want to walk down to Sutler/ML Rose/etc etc etc. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, PaulChinetti said:

We've been talking about this on Nextdoor with some other folks and I thought these quotes were pretty interesting.

"“It’s ridiculous. I already sit, sit, sit and sit in the traffic,” Welch said. “I think the traffic would get worse with two lanes.”"

Are you already "sit, sit, sit, and sitting" in traffic on 8th Ave, or are you using anecdotal evidence of being elsewhere sitting in traffic to say this is a bad idea?

Things I wish I could ask.

The problem most people have with the plan, including some of my friends who live in the immediate area and one that owns property on 8th, is that it doesn't actually include building any sidewalks! The renderings are purposely misleading. There is not enough existing right-of-way to include sidewalks in the plan, which means wherever there isn't a sidewalk now along 8th there still would not be a sidewalk after the implementation of this "plan." Absurd.

Edited by SoundScan
  • Like 1

I live in 2300 and walking pretty much anywhere aside from the neighboring residential areas with sidewalks is just not worth the risk. I'm glad they're including sidewalks around the new Octave complex, but, again, they don't really get you anywhere. I'm all for this, but only if it includes sidewalks.

Edited by VSRJ
  • Like 4

From Colby Sledge, 

"Hey folks -- just chiming in here. I found the open house to be productive and very similar to the one held in Feb. 2016 about the possibility of such a plan between Wedgewood and Berry Rd (the meeting last night incorporated those comments but mainly focused between Wedgewood and Division). A few notes:

The majority of questions I'm getting is about whether sidewalks are included in the plan. So far, there's no easy answer, because it could be "yes," "maybe," or "we'll see."

YES: All of the developments going in on 8th are putting in sidewalks, which is going to cover a very large portion of 8th around Craighead where there were no sidewalks. So, that portion gets covered right now, with no public expenditure.

MAYBE: This is where the bulk of the conversation lies, because most of the area on 8th that doesn't have sidewalks falls in Berry Hill, not Metro. I was told yesterday that Berry Hill is applying for Metropolitan Planning Organization grants for sidewalks, but I don't know the status of these applications. I am following up to learn more.

WE'LL SEE: This ties back to private development, specifically on undeveloped and underdeveloped lots. As you probably know, much of 8th Ave S, especially on the west side, is a giant curb cut for places like Little Caesar's, Captain D's, etc. While I'm not aware of any pending development plans on these properties and others like them, I think it's safe to say those won't stay that way forever.

I know there are additional questions regarding renderings, traffic and more. I intend to set up a district meeting in the next couple of months to talk through those questions with Planning and other reps."

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

I'm all for neighborhood input, but it should be restricted to those who ACTUALLY LIVE in that neighborhood.  Anyone who lives somewhere else and only uses this street as a way to avoid traffic somewhere else should have zero say in this.  Oh boo-hoo, you might have to sit in traffic five minutes longer, so the people who live in the neighborhoods you cut through on your commute should be forced to deal with risking their lives everytime they try to cross the street?  Nope.  That doesn't fly with me.

If I can play devil's advocate for a minute, there are a lot more people who drive through this area than live on it; Eighth Avenue in this segment gets about 23,000 vehicles per day, and has for the past 30 years, while the entire population of Berry Hill (not just those in the immediate vicinity) is about 550 people.

I also wouldn't call it a cut-through, it's a major artery into Nashville that predates the Interstate as well as much of the development being built on it. Eighth Avenue sorely needs a makeover that reflects the land uses fronting it but on the other hand it's been this way since before a lot of those land uses (and the people who live/work/play in them) were around.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, PruneTracy said:

If I can play devil's advocate for a minute, there are a lot more people who drive through this area than live on it; Eighth Avenue in this segment gets about 23,000 vehicles per day, and has for the past 30 years, while the entire population of Berry Hill (not just those in the immediate vicinity) is about 550 people.

I also wouldn't call it a cut-through, it's a major artery into Nashville that predates the Interstate as well as much of the development being built on it. Eighth Avenue sorely needs a makeover that reflects the land uses fronting it but on the other hand it's been this way since before a lot of those land uses (and the people who live/work/play in them) were around.

That 23K number was actually significantly lower up until a few years ago and I recall that when we did the walk through with Colby and Adams Carroll last summer, one of them said that the 23K number in 2015 appeared to be a bit of an outlier and that 2016 would see that number reduced based on where they were when that meeting happened. Of course, with all of the incoming residential and retail, it could pop back up again.

This is only important insofar as the upper limit on doing a road diet like this is somewhere between 20-25K depending on which engineer you ask in which city. If they really are closer to 20K, there would apparently be no real noticeable impact on traffic there due to the reconfiguration. Honestly, even if there is a moderate impact on traffic, I imagine that it would be mitigated by the re-engineering of the Wedgewood intersection (which is the real culprit on 8th) and the addition of a center turn lane.

14 minutes ago, titanhog said:

Reducing lanes on 8th S would be a little like reducing lanes on Murfreesboro Rd or Nolensville Rd.  Those are major inlets and outlets...not just residential areas.  Not an easy "yes" in my book.  

As Adams noted during the walk, Franklin Pike was designed as an artery heading into the city before there was a major interstate paralleling it. I-65 now serves much of the same purpose that Franklin Pike was initially designed for. This is a major inlet for people who are trying to avoid getting on the freeway that is right next to the road. It isn't really serving a purpose that the freeway does not meet. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 12Mouth said:

As Adams noted during the walk, Franklin Pike was designed as an artery heading into the city before there was a major interstate paralleling it. I-65 now serves much of the same purpose that Franklin Pike was initially designed for. This is a major inlet for people who are trying to avoid getting on the freeway that is right next to the road. It isn't really serving a purpose that the freeway does not meet. 

I would agree with you IF there was an exit off I-65 for Thompson Lane / Woodmont Blvd.

• Like 1

Just now, titanhog said:

I would agree with you IF there was an exit off I-65 for Thompson Lane / Woodmont Blvd.

Fair point, and there should be. But the drive from Franklin Pike and Thompson lane to the I-65 entrance on Harding is about 5 minutes and there is rarely traffic. Yes, it is in the wrong direction if you are going downtown, but 5 minutes to get to a freeway entrance does not seem unreasonable to me. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 12Mouth said:

That 23K number was actually significantly lower up until a few years ago and I recall that when we did the walk through with Colby and Adams Carroll last summer, one of them said that the 23K number in 2015 appeared to be a bit of an outlier and that 2016 would see that number reduced based on where they were when that meeting happened. Of course, with all of the incoming residential and retail, it could pop back up again.

Here's the historical data for the TDOT count station north of Bradford. I would argue that the past few years are as much an outlier as 2015 may be; the trendline curves slightly downward but with an abysmal R-squared of 0.06. I wouldn't worry much about it popping back up beyond what it has, though, unless and until the Fairgrounds are redeveloped. Even with the apartments/condos going up the area has sort of hit its maximum build-out.

1 hour ago, 12Mouth said:

This is only important insofar as the upper limit on doing a road diet like this is somewhere between 20-25K depending on which engineer you ask in which city. If they really are closer to 20K, there would apparently be no real noticeable impact on traffic there due to the reconfiguration. Honestly, even if there is a moderate impact on traffic, I imagine that it would be mitigated by the re-engineering of the Wedgewood intersection (which is the real culprit on 8th) and the addition of a center turn lane.

I would put the upper limit on a road diet there at 20,000 vehicles per day. The 25,000 limit only really works where the peak period volumes are a lower percentage of the total daily traffic (i.e., where the traffic is spread throughout the day) which anecdotally I would guess is not the case for this corridor.

I think the only way you get away with a road diet that works long-term is to also beef up Bransford, Berry, Powell, etc. (spread the misery around, if you will) and extend Armory to Franklin Pike. And of course fix the intersection at Wedgewood, though I'm not sure what all you could do that doesn't involve adding laneage.

Untitled.png

Edited by PruneTracy
  • Like 2

Seems to me that the updated layout (A) provides enough capacity to handle all or nearly all of current vehicle traffic, (B) takes a first step towards providing an attractive alternative (bike lanes) for people that are tired of sitting in that traffic, and (C) does a lot to help foot traffic while we wait for the sidewalk network to be built out (by decreasing vehicle lanes to cross and traffic-calming).

This whole thing was triggered by the fact that the road is scheduled to be repaved, so there's a low-cost opportunity to improve it. It's going to be pretty ironic if this gets torpedoed and it's repaved as-is just because there isn't a plan to fix all the sidewalks at the same time.

• Like 1

What in the world was going on in 1999?

I think beefing up any of the cross streets, Berry, Craighead is a no go because of the damn trains. Doesn't matter how wide it is if a train is at a stand still blocking the road, see 3-lane wide 4th Ave S. 

@AronG wouldn't that be the Nashville way though. (sad trombone noise) I wonder how much Berry Hill has to do with this, why haven't they been incorporated yet?

• Like 1