Davidson Southeast: Antioch, Century Farms, East of Brentwood

smeagolsfree

2 hours ago, PHofKS said:

I was just about to respond with same sentiment. I've watched a 100 car train (it seemed like) move along at 20 miles per hour. There needs to be bridge somewhere. I wonder how they plan to send light rail down that corridor with the crossing in the way? Maybe they will elevate the tracks and we'll have a short version of the 'EL'.

My best guess is they will have to do something with Hart over to 2nd then redo that whole intersection/bridge at 2nd and Carney.

But who knows I've thought about it a lot and the grading on 4th by the tracks is crazy with a lot of random streets meeting 4th there. 

IMG_9721.JPG

• Like 2

One of the developers whose proposal lost out in the bid to transform Nashville's old Greer Stadium site has protested Metro's decision to pick a competitor's plan and has asked that contract negotiations halt.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2017/06/06/competitor-protests-metros-greer-stadium-redevelopment-decision/373865001/

11 minutes ago, markhollin said:

One of the developers whose proposal lost out in the bid to transform Nashville's old Greer Stadium site has protested Metro's decision to pick a competitor's plan and has asked that contract negotiations halt.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2017/06/06/competitor-protests-metros-greer-stadium-redevelopment-decision/373865001/

Oh good lord, great this means this land will just sit there and rot while they get this all sorted out. This is why we can't have nice things.

Something I didn't notice before, in the drawings at least they plan to try to keep the guitar scoreboard that's pretty cool. 

Guitar.png

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Publix eyes a full service grocery store at NW corner of 8th Ave. South and Bradford Ave.  Story is currently behind the paywall at NP:

http://www.nashvillepost.com/business/food-business/article/20863905/publix-eyes-eighth-avenue-site-near-melrose

Screen Shot 2017-06-07 at 10.06.08 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-06-07 at 10.06.23 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-06-07 at 10.06.36 AM.png

Does it mention parking? is it underneath?

I second that question about parking. I live on Glen Ave which splits off of Bradford Ave. I can see this property from my front porch. Do they intend to take over the Ace Market property as well (which faces Bradford Ave)? 

From Nashville Post:

Full-scale work will soon be underway on the Wedgewood-Houston building in which Nashville’s Soler sisters are planning their next neighborhood bar concept.

Alexis and Britt Soler, who own and operate Old Glory in Edgehill Village and No. 308 near East Nashville’s Five Points, are not ready to disclosed details of the future bar, according to a source who asked to go unnamed.

The property, on which sits a former church building, is located at 509 Houston St. in the epicenter of the fast-changing district. Across Houston is Hemmingway’s Bar & Hideaway, a literary-themed neighborhood bar and restaurant.

A permit, valued at $300,000, has been issued for the build-out. Nashville-based MTLC Inc. is handling the job.

The Soler sisters are designing the interior space with assistance from Nashville-based Pfeffer Torode Architects.

The source said the exterior of the building is expected to be kept essentially intact.

A Nashville-based real estate investor group comprising Elliott Kyle, McClain Towery and Rob Lowe own the 0.18-acre property, which is located in what many feel is the epicenter of the fast-changing Wedgewood-Houston district.

Screen Shot 2017-06-08 at 2.24.25 PM.png

• Like 3

Sigh.

"The website cites "a large number of studies" on road diets as confirmation that reducing the street to two lanes is not feasible. Although the site does not link to any,"

They don't want the "gridlock" of making the road 2 lanes with a turning lane because it won't allow people to get to their business'. BUT they are ok with the current gridlock because that allows people to get to their business'?? Just sounds like people complaining about change because it's change. 

I think most of the sidewalk problems are related to this stretch actually being in Berry Hill and not in Nashville isn't it, I've read in other articles where Berry Hill's sidewalk requirements are different than Nashville's. 

Edit

One of those comments on the Tennessean article.

"Where would all the traffic go if it is cut down to 2 lanes. 12 South is already cut down to two and it is a disaster."

Yeah 12 South is a real disaster, tons of shops, restaurants and other businesses booming with tons of people walking around and spending money.

I swear it seems like most of these people complaining just want 3 lane roads each way so they can use them as ways to avoid 65S so they can get to Brentwood, etc. quicker.

Edited by PaulChinetti
addition
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, PaulChinetti said:

Sigh.

"The website cites "a large number of studies" on road diets as confirmation that reducing the street to two lanes is not feasible. Although the site does not link to any,"

They don't want the "gridlock" of making the road 2 lanes with a turning lane because it won't allow people to get to their business'. BUT they are ok with the current gridlock because that allows people to get to their business'?? Just sounds like people complaining about change because it's change. 

I think most of the sidewalk problems are related to this stretch actually being in Berry Hill and not in Nashville isn't it, I've read in other articles where Berry Hill's sidewalk requirements are different than Nashville's. 

Edit

One of those comments on the Tennessean article.

"Where would all the traffic go if it is cut down to 2 lanes. 12 South is already cut down to two and it is a disaster."

Yeah 12 South is a real disaster, tons of shops, restaurants and other businesses booming with tons of people walking around and spending money.

I swear it seems like most of these people complaining just want 3 lane roads each way so they can use them as ways to avoid 65S so they can get to Brentwood, etc. quicker.

Our continued reliance on cars as the only viable method of transportation is the disaster. Examples exist from around the world where car traffic has been reduced and businesses have thrived. If only there were a way to illustrate this...like, some sort of picture that shows before where there were a lot of lanes for cars and then--stay with me here--an after picture that shows the area when it became more multimodal. And then there could be some da...da...data? To further back up the case. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, AronG said:

I can understand why some businesses are putting up a fight on this, and I believe it's even rational, i.e. they're expressing their self interest. Neighborhood pedestrian and bike traffic is a very different demographic than suburban commuters, and they're going to spend their money a little differently. While there are many businesses that will thrive with a dense new flow of foot traffic, it's fair to say that some of them have business models that have been carefully honed for the 8th Ave of 2010, and won't benefit at all, while they may see rent increase.

That is the most rational way I have heard of possibly explaining certain grievances and it makes total sense. 

There are always winners and losers in change, that is 100% sure. I wish businesses would look at other areas of town where increased foot traffic has done great things, 12 South, Broadway (it was a gigantic fight for the owners to let go of those 3-4 parking places they had in front of their bars), etc. 

Hopefully you are right and the city can do the right thing. 

1 hour ago, AronG said:

Any change to the transportation network is going to have winners and losers. The correct place to make this decision is to look at the long term effect and decide if we're taking smart steps towards shaping an environment in which we can grow gracefully, or alternatively, are we making convenient short term decisions that lead nowhere.

The frustrating thing about this is that only a few short years ago Metro, with the help of TDOT, could have stepped in here to acquire right-of-way or, at the very least, have incorporated building setbacks into the planning process that would have allowed sufficient room for vehicles, bicycles, and pedestrians alike.

As recently as 2014 the only parcels that couldn't have afforded shaving ten or fifteen feet off the front were the group at Douglas Avenue, which, historical value notwithstanding, are all one-story developments. Now the corridor's filling up with low- to mid-rise developments, with more in the pipeline, and each one is placing another costly restriction on street width.

It would be one thing if this were a corridor with older developments or some other constraint but it's not, most all of the demand for street width is being spurred by the new developments that are themselves restricting street width.

The good news is that there's about 100 feet of space left between building fronts on the corridor, new and old, and that's enough to squeeze in a five-lane roadway with bike paths and sidewalks. Just takes a little right-of-way acquisition. It may be expensive and a headache, but it's not going to get any easier.

• Like 1

I live smack dab between 12th Ave. South and 8th Ave. South.  I am most assuredly AGAINST 8th Ave. South being reduced to just two lanes.  With literally thousands of new residents in all of the developments along that corridor, there is already increased car traffic, and it's only going to get thicker.  If (and that's a big IF) there will ever be increased public transportation down the avenue (like, say, buses running every 10 minutes) it MIGHT make sense.  But too many people are still quite dependent on their cars to get to and from these residences as well as the hundreds of businesses and eateries along that several-mile stretch. 

I'm all for having sidewalks running consistently on at least one side of the avenue. Bike lanes seem like a bit of a luxury, in that perhaps only a few hundred people per day might actually utilize them, as compared to 20,000+ vehicles. A solution to this might be creating bike lanes that run the length of 10th Avenue South, which is not nearly as congested. 

3 hours ago, markhollin said:

I live smack dab between 12th Ave. South and 8th Ave. South.  I am most assuredly AGAINST 8th Ave. South being reduced to just two lanes.  With literally thousands of new residents in all of the developments along that corridor, there is already increased car traffic, and it's only going to get thicker.  If (and that's a big IF) there will ever be increased public transportation down the avenue (like, say, buses running every 10 minutes) it MIGHT make sense.  But too many people are still quite dependent on their cars to get to and from these residences as well as the hundreds of businesses and eateries along that several-mile stretch. 

I'm all for having sidewalks running consistently on at least one side of the avenue. Bike lanes seem like a bit of a luxury, in that perhaps only a few hundred people per day might actually utilize them, as compared to 20,000+ vehicles. A solution to this might be creating bike lanes that run the length of 10th Avenue South, which is not nearly as congested. 

I, too, live exactly between 12th and 8th and am 100% in favor of the reduction to 3 lanes (not two). I am not an engineer, but the engineers who already studied this corridor extensively  (Kimley Horn) found that traffic will indeed go up regardless and that the one lane reduction will add 30 seconds more during peak traffic. This is really not about adding bike lanes at the end of the day. It is about narrowing the street to make it pedestrian friendly and reducing both pedestrian and vehicular collisions by up to 40%. It is about slowing down cars. Reasonable minds can disagree, but all of that is certainly worth 30 seconds to me.

also - bike lanes are already planned for 10th and going in soon.

• Like 2

I'll jump in here on this conversation.

First, there is absolutely no comparison between 12th and 8th. Twelfth was two lanes before everything happened in that area. How these folks are wanting to make a comparison is laughable. Eighth has always been a major road and the idea of turning it into a bike and pedestrian friendly street is crazy. You can do pedestrian but not both. I agree there needs to be more pedestrian crosswalks, but all of this can be worked out if the city learned how to time their traffic signals correctly, which they have not. They spent millions on signal syncing with no improvement that I can see.

The road is entirely too busy to have a bunch of bikers clogging the road and that is a street they should be banned on. Yes, I do bike some and have enough common sense to stay off of that street. There are streets that just should not have bike lanes. If they want to have a bike route into downtown, then route the bikers down Kirkwood, then 10th to Douglas, and then down 12th. A lot less traffic. You do traffic calming projects on those side streets to discourage thru vehicle traffic.

• Like 4