Davidson Southeast: Antioch, Century Farms, East of Brentwood

smeagolsfree

This is just a note to say kudos to Belmont U.     The new administration building on Wedgewood is shaping up to be a magnificent building.    The architecture is conservative - in the classic early 20th century college building style.  But the scale, the dome and the abundant use of natural materials - stone, brick and copper - combine for a stunning result, in my opinion.    When it's finished, it may be up there with my favorite Nashville buildings!      

Maybe one of our forum members with a good camera can snap a few pics next time you're on a drive around.    

• Like 2

I noticed a large piece of equipment on the parking lot at 12 South and Montrose this morning.    Mixed use apartments have been rumored for that site for some time and silt fence has been up for months.   Anyone know if that's about to begin?

The digging here is looking pretty substantial, looks like something more than a parking lot may be going up.

This is almost certainly more than parking. Also telling is the new sign in front of the lot that indicates there is restaurant and/or retail space available. I don't have any more information than this, but based on the neighborhood response to the last few developers who asked for variances, it wouldn't surprise me if this is just going up in accordance with current zoning regulations (with no public meetings/announcements).

12thandmontrose.JPG

Oh! I know where this is. I was thinking that someone said it was something planned over next to Villa Place.

This was originally the McRedman project location. I have seen nothing that indicates it is about to start. The folks over there would now be raising a stink about it. The lot has been fenced off with the orange fencing for a couple of months now. At least one month. I told WW about it when I first noticed the change. If Urban Grub loses that lot for valet parking, then they are truly screwed.

If Urban Grub loses that lot for valet parking, then they are truly screwed.

And yet they can't say that they didn't see it coming.  Doesn't the 12South Flats have public parking options?  Parking garages are going to be key to the continuing success of that area.  It's just too compact.  Which is good, actually.

Oh! I know where this is. I was thinking that someone said it was something planned over next to Villa Place.

This was originally the McRedman project location. I have seen nothing that indicates it is about to start. The folks over there would now be raising a stink about it. The lot has been fenced off with the orange fencing for a couple of months now. At least one month. I told WW about it when I first noticed the change. If Urban Grub loses that lot for valet parking, then they are truly screwed.

The fencing has been there for a while, but they've been doing some major digging the last two weeks and that lease sign just went up. Something is definitely happening on that lot. 

A few local spots (church next to the flats, christian bookstore) have converted their lots into pay parking. Urban grub is still offering valet - I just don't know where they are parking the cars now (probably leasing space in the evening from other local businesses). There were rumors some time ago about a parking company putting up a parking garage/retail combo, but I doubt anyone would move into that space before the Mafiaoza's/Urban Grub parking lawsuit gets resolved.

I wish that they would put in resident-only parking around 12th and just build a garage at 12th and Wedgewood and run a shuttle back and forth from the gulch to the garage to 12south. This would give drivers an easy escape to 65 and cut back on the congestion on 12th. I've seen so many pedestrian near misses on 12th and apparently someone was actually hit last week.

12South Flats does have a little bit of parking, but not nearly enough to handle the demand. Josephine wisely offered valet as soon as it opened a few weeks ago. I'm aware of at least 3 new restaurants opening on 12th in the first half of 2014 (not including the potential space at 12th and Montrose or Josephine, which just opened), so my hope is that someone figures out a sustainable parking solution sooner rather than later.

Edited by 12Mouth

Why would a loss of that lot mean Urban Grub's demise?  Is there really no more parking in the area?  I find that hard to believe for how suburban it still is overall.  Is parallel parking not allowed on the nearby side streets or something? 

Actually it is not in a lot of areas if you do not have a neighborhood permit. Even with that you may have to walk up 5 or 6 blocks to 12 S sometimes to find a parking place.

As far as Urban Grub goes, it has lasted longer than I thought it would. Not a fan of the place.

Interesting!  I honestly had no idea that Nashville had neighborhood permit parking.  That must be something that came online within the past few years, because I don't recall ever seeing any signs or anything for that, and in fact, I'm quite certain that I have parked in residential neighborhoods without a permit.  Maybe I've just been parking illegally all this time!  haha!

There are fairly prominent signs that indicate where resident parking only begins so I doubt you were in a controlled area. Where I've seen them before you really can't miss them.

The parking situation in many of these areas will become a limiting factor for these businesses IMO. Parking structures are an option, although I would be in favor of some new transit options that serve many of the hotspots. I once attended an MTA meeting where there was discussion (very preliminary) of implementing a transit shuttle loop similar to what is downtown and in the Gulch. It would connect the Gulch to 12South, Hillsboro Village, Midtown, Edgehill Village, and the Music Row restaurants and bars. If you can give the patrons of these restaurants a viable transit option other than their cars I think they would take it which would be the best way to solve the lack of parking.

Edited by Hey_Hey
  • Like 3

Now that would be an interesting idea. When was that MTA meeting?

It was in March of last year. It was proposed by a resident of these neighborhoods and it was passed on to the MTA. They used one of their scheduled neighborhood meetings to meet with the different neighborhood organizations concerning the proposal and everyone was supportive. Unfortunately, they were very open about the fact that it generally takes ~3 years to get a new route funded and approved, so I have my doubts that this will ever come to fruition.

• Like 1

Too bad. That strikes me as a great idea. It would also potentially curb drinking and driving and provide a viable way for a lot of people to take public transit to work. There are a whole lot of folks who live in 12South and work at Vandy. Most of the time, taking the bus takes 40 minutes for a 2.5 mile trip that would take 5 minutes by car.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting.   Good to see McRedmond finally under way.   Do we know if it will have any retail, or just residential?   The bottom rendering looked more likely to include retail, but I can't remember what was planned.

If this is residential only, it will probably provide just enough parking to accommodate residents.   If it includes retail, parking in 12S is about to get much worse.        

Edited by CenterHill