Davidson Southeast: Antioch, Century Farms, East of Brentwood

smeagolsfree

On 9/24/2018 at 4:00 PM, markhollin said:

A one time mop factory at 510 Merritt St. in WeHo is going to be repurposed to house the Nashville Design Collective, featuring 15 showrooms.  The NDC bought the building and another adjoining structure (covering a cumulative 45,000 sq. ft.) last week fro $6 million from BAC Properties. 

The NDC will offer an outdoor deck, multiple meeting spaces, conference rooms and dedicated event space for product launches, book signings and trunk shows. A casual café and surface parking will also be available.

I fully support any effort to relocate Nashville's attempt at a "design district" away from Sidco Drive, and to a more reasonable area of the city. I hope this becomes a reality and more companies and showrooms relocate here. 

However... this obsession among "creatives" for the use of the word "Collective" is like nails on a chalkboard to me. Blegh. It's like a trendy word that went viral among hipsters. I'm in the design industry and I just can't stand it. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NashvilleObserver said:

However... this obsession among "creatives" for the use of the word "Collective" is like nails on a chalkboard to me. Blegh. It's like a trendy word that went viral among hipsters. I'm in the design industry and I just can't stand it

Lol yeah, what’s up with that? It sounds Soviet-chic or something. But in an annoyingly repetitive way, not a clever one. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

"dig into this"  Nice pun.

Just skimmed it.  I had no idea of the heritage of Fort Negley.

2 minutes ago, Pdt2f said:

Lol yeah, what’s up with that? It sounds Soviet-chic or something. But in an annoyingly repetitive way, not a clever one. 

The American version would be "co-op."  Both are connected to agriculture.  Will the mop factory theme be used in the design?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, e-dub said:

I didn't know there was a burgeoning design district on Sidco?

Because it hasn't quite burgeoned ENOUGH. It's known amongst local designers/architects/contractors for the showrooms for stone, tile, carpet, fabric, furniture, decor, bathroom appliances, etc... but not by  regular Nashvillians. I'm there at least 4 times a week, sometimes twice a day, and it always makes me sad to drive on that drab, dusty road. 

The attempt has been to create a design district that compares to Houston's or Atlanta's, but the fact is that it needs to be in a "neighborhood" setting with other attractions (restaurants, salons, shops) around it for increased foot traffic and 'walkability.' but Sidco is basically a semi-truck on-ramp to nearby interstates. 

If we could relocate every showroom on Sidco to WeHo, it could finally send Nashville "through the roof" as a burgeoning city for arts, architecture, and interior design. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

Good piece (although a few inaccuracies).  I am glad that the area is now going to be fully committed as a park and memorial to those who worked and died building the fort.  Definitely deserves a museum telling more of the full story.  

• Like 2

Brad Paisley and his wife, Kimberley Williams, are partnering with Belmont University and Second Harvest Food Bank to get things underway for The Store, which is a free grocery to those in need.  Hope to serve up to 3,000 people in the first year.

It will be built next to Belmont's Healthcare and Legal Aid Ministry Clinic at the SW corner of 12th Ave. South and Caldwell Ave. ESa is donating their services for the design.  Besides the Paisleys initial donation, there will be further need for other donors to underwrite additional construction and annual budgets.

http://www.thestore.org/

The Store, Free Grocery, Oct 2, 2018, render.png

The Store, Free Grocery, Oct 2, 2018, site.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1