Davidson Southeast: Antioch, Century Farms, East of Brentwood

smeagolsfree

Apparently (and this is just from the board - I have not looked it up), the demo permit wasn't actually for the pink building, but for one of the other addresses on the lot. The developers were hoping to have the demo permit by the end of the week (the July permit was not extended) and there was a miscommunication with the demo guy who started prematurely. 

I don't think that this will in any way stop the project from happening - just pissed of some neighbors. It is nice to have this on 10th - particularly with all of the action on 8th. I think that when the school renovation/opening happens, it will bring a bunch of energy down to 10th.

On the other hand, if I am not mistaken, there has historically been quite a bit of opposition from the neighborhood to retail development on 10th.  My sense is that neighbors have even been skeptical about having neighborhood centers limited to a building or two at specific corners on 10th.  My sense is that many truly do not want 10th to become another linear retail/restaurant corridor similar to 12th.  And they don't want the side streets turning into major cut-throughs for speeding traffic and parking nightmares.  Is that your sense as well?    I am guessing that traffic and parking are the major concerns.  In reality, the Belmont-Hillsboro area already has retail corridors on Belmont Blvd, 12th and 8th, and folks whom I know in the neighborhood seem to want to keep it that way.  Also, since the area west of 12th is in the Belmont-Hillsoboro Conservation Zoning Overlay, but the area east of 12th is not, I am hearing quite a bit of opposition to develoment of any kind - residential or commercial - in the area between 12th and 8th until the neighborhood sorts out some design quality and quality-of-life controls.

I think that there are a wide variety of concerns in the neighborhood around development. You are absolutely correct that traffic and parking are huge neighborhood concerns, but I don't see any way that 10th turns into another 12th. As of right now, 99% of it is zoned residential and the neighbors won't let that change. It seems that generally, the neighborhood personalities who are typically most outspoken about development aren't necessarily opposed to this one as long as it sticks to the previously assigned SP zoning and has adequate parking. With the new school going in next door, that area is going to get a lot more traffic with or without this relatively small development. 10th has also turned into somewhat of a superhighway - I don't think that a little bit of traffic would be a bad thing given all of the pedestrians in the area. I live one block away from the development right between 12th and 8th and am far more concerned with the out of control (read - ugly) residential development than I am with a well scaled mixed development and my sense is that most neighbors agree. I think that metro is going to have to deal with the side streets at some point soon - sidewalks, stop signs, etc. I also think that the area between 12th and 8th needs an overlay badly. It is really getting out of control. 

I sent WW some info on the Wedgewood Houston Core project last week. Basically, this is the proposal below.

Need to add that proposal is for 475 units.

http://maps.nashville.gov/MPC/2014/041014/2014SP-016-001_plan.pdf

http://musiccityblog.wordpress.com/2014/03/05/developer-seeks-to-create-live-work-space-in-soho/

• Like 1

I sent WW some info on the Wedgewood Houston Core project last week. Basically, this is the proposal below.

Need to add that proposal is for 475 units.

http://maps.nashville.gov/MPC/2014/041014/2014SP-016-001_plan.pdf

http://musiccityblog.wordpress.com/2014/03/05/developer-seeks-to-create-live-work-space-in-soho/

Looks great.  Should be a great catalyst for the area.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the piece in today's online Post about the permit for a 400,000 sf underground parking garage to "accommodate an academic and dining" hall. I was under the impression that the dining hall is already underway, and also the academic building.  The article says this will be underground.  When it was announced at the same time as the dining hall, I had just assumed it would be under the dining services building.  Apparently, that's not the case.  Does anyone know where this garage will be?

http://nashvillepost.com/blogs/postbusiness/2014/3/14/belmont_lands_342m_building_permit

Edited by MLBrumby

Here is the piece in today's online Post about the permit for a 400,000 sf underground parking garage to "accommodate an academic and dining" hall. I was under the impression that the dining hall is already underway, and also the academic building.  The article says this will be underground.  When it was announced at the same time as the dining hall, I had just assumed it would be under the dining services building.  Apparently, that's not the case.  Does anyone know where this garage will be?

http://nashvillepost.com/blogs/postbusiness/2014/3/14/belmont_lands_342m_building_permit

The garage permit is the same site. The hole is about 70 feet deep and the cafeteria will be atop the garage. I gave WW the info on the permit this morning. It seems the pull different building permits as the job's progress.

Speaking of areas for a mini-meet, I would like to do a walking tour of the Belmont area.  Is there someone who would be interested in leading such an excursion some time? 

I am always available and know the area fairly well, but it would be great if we had a resident of the area.

• Like 1

Speaking of areas for a mini-meet, I would like to do a walking tour of the Belmont area.  Is there someone who would be interested in leading such an excursion some time?

I'm not sure how much 'leading' I could do, but I would definitely like to do Belmont and 12South.

I'd be happy to be a part of this 12th S group considering I live in the 12th S/8th Ave S area and also went to Belmont.  Don't think I can add much else to what you guys report here daily but would love to be a part of mini 12th S/8th S Ave group meeting and share some opinions and experience of the neighborhood. - Adam

• Like 1

Some info regarding the 8th Ave/Melrose area near my house according to some folks I've talked to - 1) at the Melrose Apts:  in the retail section of the apts, the old theatre section is going to be a two level restaurant similar to Merchant's downtown.  The bottom floor is going to be a casual eatery while the top floor is going to be more formal apparently in the theme of the Great Gatsby era.   Fido coffee shop is also going in one of the sections, and Austin Ray, the owner of ML Rose across the street is opening up a bar/restaurant as well as the other tenant and I am being told its possible its a new version of the defunct Sutler that was previously in that same section.  I am being told they should be completed at the end of May and the apartments should be completed in August. 

Also a block away from the Melrose Apts, the long empty grassy lot at the corner of Gale Lane & Franklin pike (bottom of Krogers and next to Krystals) should finally be a new retail strip center with site work starting within the next 90 days or so.  There will be 4 Suites available with a total of approx. 8k sq ft.  The anchor tenant will have approx. 2500 sq ft with an outdoor patio. I am hearing bars like Sams and Corner Pub as ones that are interested in coming in with the other 3 most likely destinations for other eateries with one having a drive thru (McCallisters Deli/Smoothie King type options).  I am very excited given my house is only a few hundred yards from this location.  8th ave S is getting very busy.

I was told about the first part from folks at the Melrose Apts and the 2nd part from people connected to the project itself so I am pretty confident in the info.  Hopefully it helps with Melrose/8th ave info.

• Like 4

Eighth Avenue from Wedgewood to I-440 has strong potential. As a kid, I use to eat at he old Krystal's, play putt-putt (behind Krystal's along Gale) and watch movies at the theater. Nice to see it finally taking an urban form and function. Next up (and needed): sidewalks.

Yeah, the sidewalks that were put in where the Melrose project is going in are a joke.  Rather than have the utility poles in the center of the sidewalks with little walk-arounds, as is now the case, they could just have expanded their greenway there next to the street and brought all of the sidewalks maybe two feet further into the property.  That's all surface parking, anyway.  What would two feet hurt them?  I asked the Planning Department about this one recently and they pointed out that this project is in Berry Hill, and Berry Hill makes the decisions about sidewalks within their boundaries.

I also hate to say this, but 2300 Berry Hill also leaves me a little flat.  I think that the big "blah" inducing thing for me is the building cap, which lacks any detailing and looks kind of like styrofoam.  It is as if they got a to-go box from Fat Mo's and put it on there or something.  The building itself is OK, and I like the turret and the massing, but a tiny bit more detailing on the crown would have made this one of my favorite projects in the city.

I asked the Planning Department about this one recently and they pointed out that this project is in Berry Hill, and Berry Hill makes the decisions about sidewalks within their boundaries.

Which is interesting, because I have a 2008 document (a pdf in case anyone's interested) of a Berry Hill visual design survey that seemed to want to get away from utility poles, and such. Of course survey results don't make official design code, but yeah I don't see much in either of these developments addressing complaints over the looks of the neighborhoods. I was stunned that they didn't bury power lines in front of Melrose.

Eighth Avenue from Wedgewood to I-440 has strong potential. As a kid, I use to eat at he old Krystal's, play putt-putt (behind Krystal's along Gale) and watch movies at the theater. Nice to see it finally taking an urban form and function. Next up (and needed): sidewalks.

Agreed - and pedestrian crossing signals too. I hear that one's coming to Bradford and 8th, near 23Hundred, but IMO there needs to be one at Kirkwood too, near Kroger, Walgreen and Melrose.

• Like 1

Yeah, the sidewalks that were put in where the Melrose project is going in are a joke.  Rather than have the utility poles in the center of the sidewalks with little walk-arounds, as is now the case, they could just have expanded their greenway there next to the street and brought all of the sidewalks maybe two feet further into the property.  That's all surface parking, anyway.  What would two feet hurt them?  I asked the Planning Department about this one recently and they pointed out that this project is in Berry Hill, and Berry Hill makes the decisions about sidewalks within their boundaries.

Utility poles in the middle of sidewalks are such a common occurrence in Nashville that I hardly notice them anymore.    It's ridiculous that anyone ever thought this was an acceptable practice (there are places where one person can barely squeeze around the pole), but as we know, sidewalks do not get a lot of love here.  

Is that the one on Rosedale not to far west of Nolensville?  Rosedale is an interesting street.  It's like falling off of or climbing up a cliff depending on which direction you are traveling relative to Nolensville.  And the opposite end is also tricky in the way that it just barely squeezes between Mrs. Grissom's and the railroad tracks. 

Just in case anyone noticed the construction between 440 and the Fairgrounds on the left going north. That is the Melrose Heights project. 2 buildings and 80 units. 3 stories each.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the rendering for the project Barakat found the other day and posted in bits and pieces. This project, to be called Woodstock @ Chestnut Hill will be a 42 unit project.

The story is behind the pay wall, but will come off soon.

http://nashvillepost.com/news/2014/4/9/south_nashville_district_targeted_for_residential_project

ayqI6Aa.png
eRjOpGo.png

• Like 4