Davidson Southeast: Antioch, Century Farms, East of Brentwood

smeagolsfree

I'm counting a little over 500 parking spaces north of the new expo center from this site plan

image.thumb.png.fd416794ce8e09b461ab1cf6e1d2678e.png

The Week in Review: April 8-12

Construction Update

• Our electrical contractor is installing overhead electrical conduit in Expo 3 (See photo below) and wall rough-ins in Expo 1.
  • Construction of the show arena is in progress and the retaining wall has been built. 
  • Structural steel erection is rapidly progressing in Expo 2 and the Expo 1 mezzanine. 
  • Water lines were laid behind Expo 2 in preparation for tap set-up with Metro Water Services.
  • The concrete arena wall in Shed 1 has been poured by our concrete contractor, which also stripped formwork for last week's porch pours. 
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, nashvylle said:

Unfortunately I don’t think nascar has the backing politically. 

@PaulChinetti is it true that a lot of WeHo constituents are against racing? 

Praying both nascar and soccer can be successful. 

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/fairgrounds-speedway-in-financial-trouble-amid-expansion-talks

This is what Colby Sledge said in his weekly update. 

“There has also been a lot of news at the Fairgrounds Nashville this week, including a notice of breach of contract regarding the speedway, and a rendering, released by an outside group wanting to bring NASCAR to the track, that would destroy part of Fair Park and the development negotiated under a Community Benefits Agreement. To release such a plan shows tremendous disrespect of more than a year's worth of public input and process regarding the Fairgrounds. I will continue to fight for a productive, inclusive conversation regarding the speedway, just as we have had in recent years regarding Fairgrounds improvements.”

I think people don’t mind it  but apparently they’ve been running past their curfew and that is what is annoying people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

A $5.4 million permit has been landed Certified Construction Services for the start of The Olympic (5 stories, around 40 condos) on .4 acre at 806 Olympic Drive. 

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21064440/new-image-released-for-capitol-view-hotel

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mayor Briley rejects a $54 million bond/$2million from cash from city proposal by Speedway Motorsports to make improvements to the Fairgrounds Racetrack.  The mayor will reject a deal involving funding from taxpayers to bring NASCAR back to the fairgrounds. 

Also, councilman Colby Sledge, who serves the district that includes the fairgrounds, states that the rendering floating around last week is "bizarre," as it deletes major portions of the mixed-use development already in the works, as well as taking out the just completed Fair Park with new soccer fields, etc.

The Metro Board of Fair Commissioners  to Speedway Motorsports: "Bring a real proposal to the table."

More at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2019/04/16/nascar-nashville-fairgrounds-speedway-upgrades-funding/3450805002/

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Mayor Briley rejects a $54 million bond/$2million from cash from city proposal by Speedway Motorsports ti make improvements to the Fairgrounds Racetrack.  The mayor will reject a deal involving funding from taxpayers to bring NASCAR back to the fairgrounds. 

Also, councilman Colby Sledge, who serves the district that includes the fairgrounds, states that the rendering floating around last week is "bizarre," as it deletes major portions of the mixed-use development already in the works, as well as taking out the just completed Fair Park with new soccer fields, etc.

The Metro Board of Fair Commissioners  to Speedway Motorsports: "Bring a real proposal to the table."

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2019/04/16/nascar-nashville-fairgrounds-speedway-upgrades-funding/3450805002/

If SMI can pay for this with private funds, and it gets done, it would be great. 

• Like 3

On 4/14/2019 at 6:20 PM, PaulChinetti said:

This is what Colby Sledge said in his weekly update. 

“There has also been a lot of news at the Fairgrounds Nashville this week, including a notice of breach of contract regarding the speedway, and a rendering, released by an outside group wanting to bring NASCAR to the track, that would destroy part of Fair Park and the development negotiated under a Community Benefits Agreement. To release such a plan shows tremendous disrespect of more than a year's worth of public input and process regarding the Fairgrounds. I will continue to fight for a productive, inclusive conversation regarding the speedway, just as we have had in recent years regarding Fairgrounds improvements.”

I think people don’t mind it  but apparently they’ve been running past their curfew and that is what is annoying people.

In a way I blame councilman Sledge for part of this debacle. In the massive public input process, why was the racetrack - which was not going to be going anywhere at the completion of the development as far as they knew - not brought into the equation of developing and upgrading? Why was the city and public process so oblivious to not leave a buffer to future improvements around the racetrack, unless they were thinking this development would push the racetrack out eventually. 

21 hours ago, markhollin said:

Mayor Briley rejects a $54 million bond/$2million from cash from city proposal by Speedway Motorsports to make improvements to the Fairgrounds Racetrack.  The mayor will reject a deal involving funding from taxpayers to bring NASCAR back to the fairgrounds. 

The rendering release was definitely bizarre as it was clearly made very early in the process. I would re-iterate (and maybe even reach out to the officials if I can) that any deal the city made to get the stadium built should be duplicated for the race track. I don't like how the article compared the SMI bonding money to the general infrastructure package. Why wouldn't they compare it to the $200+ million in public funds that are being used up front for the stadium? Yes, the stadium and Ingram are paying some of that debt back, but not all of it. SMI was going to come in and ask the city for the biggest chunk of money they could first, and then negotiate down to a private/public investment. Briley will have to use some public funds to get racing back to the racetrack. If he used public funds for the stadium and then doesn't use them for the racetrack that is a double standard that will get him voted out of office.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

In a way I blame councilman Sledge for part of this debacle. In the massive public input process, why was the racetrack - which was not going to be going anywhere at the completion of the development as far as they knew - not brought into the equation of developing and upgrading? Why was the city and public process so oblivious to not leave a buffer to future improvements around the racetrack, unless they were thinking this development would push the racetrack out eventually. 

The articles mention that there is money in the MLS/Fairgrounds package sitting and waiting to be used for some race track upgrades.  Metro waited to do the track upgrades because SMI popped up very late in the MLS discussions to express vague interest in doing something maybe.  And it looks like that's where things remain- vague.  

23 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

I don't like how the article compared the SMI bonding money to the general infrastructure package. Why wouldn't they compare it to the $200+ million in public funds that are being used up front for the stadium? Yes, the stadium and Ingram are paying some of that debt back, but not all of it. SMI was going to come in and ask the city for the biggest chunk of money they could first, and then negotiate down to a private/public investment. Briley will have to use some public funds to get racing back to the racetrack.

The last couple Tennessean  stories have mentioned how there is not the same funding mechanism (sales tax redirect for bond payments)  available for racetracks under state law and the pending legislation to do so is not moving.  Even with that, the number the Tennessean provided was like $500k per year, which doesn't get close to the $50M figure, unless SMI is planning to race like 25 times a year, which is a non-starter.  And even when SMI bid for the racing contract a couple years ago,  their bid specifically said Metro would have to pay for $50-60 Million in upgrades, with no dollars coming from SMI.  So looks like SMI has never come to the table with money or guarantees for funding.  Pretty far cry from what Ingram has committed to.

29 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

Briley will have to use some public funds to get racing back to the racetrack. 

There is racing at the racetrack now.  Always has been.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

The rendering release was definitely bizarre as it was clearly made very early in the process. I would re-iterate (and maybe even reach out to the officials if I can) that any deal the city made to get the stadium built should be duplicated for the race track. I don't like how the article compared the SMI bonding money to the general infrastructure package. Why wouldn't they compare it to the $200+ million in public funds that are being used up front for the stadium? Yes, the stadium and Ingram are paying some of that debt back, but not all of it. SMI was going to come in and ask the city for the biggest chunk of money they could first, and then negotiate down to a private/public investment. Briley will have to use some public funds to get racing back to the racetrack. If he used public funds for the stadium and then doesn't use them for the racetrack that is a double standard that will get him voted out of office.

I don't think Sledge wants to have racing there. 

While I pray both work out, I don't think Nascar (2 races per year, declining fanbase) should automatically get the same funding as MLS Stadium (17 games per year, growing sport, concerts, etc.)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Melrose said:

The articles mention that there is money in the MLS/Fairgrounds package sitting and waiting to be used for some race track upgrades.  Metro waited to do the track upgrades because SMI popped up very late in the MLS discussions to express vague interest in doing something maybe.  And it looks like that's where things remain- vague.  

The last couple Tennessean  stories have mentioned how there is not the same funding mechanism (sales tax redirect for bond payments)  available for racetracks under state law and the pending legislation to do so is not moving.  Even with that, the number the Tennessean provided was like $500k per year, which doesn't get close to the $50M figure, unless SMI is planning to race like 25 times a year, which is a non-starter.  And even when SMI bid for the racing contract a couple years ago,  their bid specifically said Metro would have to pay for $50-60 Million in upgrades, with no dollars coming from SMI.  So looks like SMI has never come to the table with money or guarantees for funding.  Pretty far cry from what Ingram has committed to.

There is racing at the racetrack now.  Always has been.

SMI specifically popped up very late in the game as an investor, but the track was always going to be there, so why wouldn't the city think in the long run and leave a buffer zone around the track for a "future phase" project? 

Racing has always been there (since 1904 at least) and its not going anywhere due to the 2011 referendum. SMI went to the city with that figure during the bidding phase and the city scoffed, and rather than negotiate with a well established and deep pocketed operator, they chose to give the contract to Formosa who - according to the news stories - has consistently blown his curfew over the years, even before the new contract was awarded. SMI is a smart business, they brought the same money figure back because now they wont lose out on anything if the city scoffs. Because they have an agreement with Formosa and Metro as a sub-contractor agreement, they can have ongoing discussions. That number can start to flex and move more towards the middle where SMI will put some in the pot and so will Metro. 

I am interested into why the state views race tracks differently than stadiums though. Both are large acre, sporting venues that can host a multitude of events. Why are they funded and viewed separately? Interesting. 

1 hour ago, nashvylle said:

I don't think Sledge wants to have racing there. 

While I pray both work out, I don't think Nascar (2 races per year, declining fanbase) should automatically get the same funding as MLS Stadium (17 games per year, growing sport, concerts, etc.)

I agree that the bigger tracks or larger seating capacity tracks are losing people, but if you go to the "Home Track" races, there are always several thousand people there. It's a combination of the facility and the operators. Nascar may only come in for two events, but all the local events would end up getting that total closer to 10 to 12. Just because the Xfinity and Truck series comes here, doesn't mean all the other local racing stops.

I agree with you @PaulChinetti that the SoF people probably ruined the arguments for the racetrack because of their yelling and stupid tactics. Because of their antics, probably a lot of supporters of the racetrack may have stayed quiet in fear of being associated with the SoF people (if they were not supporting them of course). Sledge will hear the same complaints about the stadium when its done, but that is a couple years down the road, so that may be beyond the lens of what Metro is thinking right now. I don't think I have ever been to a concert that ended right at a specific time, so those complaints will most certainly occur. Just look at the East Nashville folk who complain about Ascend. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

so why wouldn't the city think in the long run and leave a buffer zone around the track for a "future phase" project? 

This is a false construct being advanced by the SoF crowd, there is no issue with the the buildings blocking the track entrance. It it is another attempt to relitigate the fight they’ve already lost.

The only encroachment problem is SMI leaked out a rendering that encroaches on a road, the new expo buildings and Fair Park.  

In any event, why should they leave a “buffer”?  Local level racing is all that is appropriate on the site, just like MLB isn’t coming to First Tennessee Park.  NASCAR left 35 years ago and now races on 1000 acre parcels in the exurbs, which is where they should be.  

14 hours ago, Melrose said:

This is a false construct being advanced by the SoF crowd, there is no issue with the the buildings blocking the track entrance. It it is another attempt to relitigate the fight they’ve already lost.

The only encroachment problem is SMI leaked out a rendering that encroaches on a road, the new expo buildings and Fair Park.  

In any event, why should they leave a “buffer”?  Local level racing is all that is appropriate on the site, just like MLB isn’t coming to First Tennessee Park.  NASCAR left 35 years ago and now races on 1000 acre parcels in the exurbs, which is where they should be.  

Actually it is my own construct as a designer and race fan.  There is valid concern about moving several thousand people out of a venue all at once. Any new structures built adjacent to the speedway should be the same distance from speedway structures as they are from the new stadium. While not to scale, the site plans that have been shared multiple times recently show roughly half the distance or less between the speedway and new buildings. I'm not arguing against the 10-acre development, but rather that the speedway has been a guaranteed known throughout the process and should've been more considered. Hence - as I stated above - I blame Metro for not considering it throughout the process. 

Whoever leaked the image.. it was a bad image to leak because it has no bearing on the development it shows an earlier phase and it invalid in arguments. I even mentioned how it was a bad rendering earlier upthread. 

They should leave a buffer because of noise and it's public land around a publicly owned facility. Racing does not need to be on 1,000 acre parcels either. Martinsville, Bristol, Eldora are all some of the most popular races on the Nascar schedule and they are the smallest on the circuits. Local racing is another endeavor that attracts many more locals and gives amateur racers a chance to develop and show talent. The Fairgrounds Speedway has historical significance in the racing world and it should not be ignored. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

They should leave a buffer because of noise and it's public land around a publicly owned facility. Racing does not need to be on 1,000 acre parcels either. Martinsville, Bristol, Eldora are all some of the most popular races on the Nascar schedule and they are the smallest on the circuits. Local racing is another endeavor that attracts many more locals and gives amateur racers a chance to develop and show talent. The Fairgrounds Speedway has historical significance in the racing world and it should not be ignored. 

I think the most likely landing spot for the Fairgrounds Speedway and similar venues as they relate to NASCAR is as a mid-week venue. Say for example, several Cup drivers race outlaws or other classes against local/regional drivers or retired legends on a Wednesday or Thursday night prior to a full race weekend at, for illustrative purposes, the Superspeedway. Or less likely, a select group race the Cup cars amongst themselves. Mid-week racing is I think an inevitability in NASCAR as they continue to retool their schedule, at some point the bigwigs are going to realize that the most sustainable business model is one that goes back to their roots and brings the sport back down to an accessible level.  Of course I'm also the person who keeps spamming a Nashville street circuit and thinks that NASCAR should buy up the original locations of the sand dunes at Daytona Beach and rerun the original beach race with modern cars annually in early February (not to mention MOAR DIRT) so maybe I'm not the best judge of such matters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There now appears to be back-to-back weekends of dirt racing on the Fairgrounds track coming in late May. The World of Outlaws event was posted on here previously, but this DIRTcar series one is new to me.

The promotional group handling this is the same one that (I think) promoted the dirt race at Bristol in recent years. Seeing that track covered in dirt will be an interesting experience.

https://www.dirtcarump.com/2019/03/12/four-divisions-of-dirtcar-racing-will-charge-into-nashville-may-24-25-for-inaugural-fairgrounds-dirtcar-clash/

• Like 2

I'm not sure if they're both for the PA center, but BU is building a very large parking garage just to the south. One of the cranes may be for that.  I haven't been over that way in months, but if I'd have to guess, I say the one on the right is for the PAC and the taller one is for the garage. 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Thanks 1