Davidson Southeast: Antioch, Century Farms, East of Brentwood

smeagolsfree

Ben Freeeland has decided NOT to buy the 27 acre, 600,000 sq. ft.  former Hickory Hollow Mall property that he had been under contract for by year's end.

"There ended up being a number of previously undisclosed, complex issues that came to light in the past few weeks," Freeland said in a statement. "Unfortunately, there just is not enough time left before the closing deadline to get these issues worked out."

The mall sits within a federal Opportunity Zone, which could attract other investors who could reinvest gains made from other deals into the mall site and reap unprecedented tax breaks.

More behind the NBJ paywall here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2019/11/12/freeland-scraps-effort-to-revive-old-antioch-mall.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

And behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/commercial-real-estate/article/21097093/effort-to-reinvent-exmall-site-in-antioch-nixed

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, titanhog said:

Sounds to me like they're making room for SMI to take over.  Wasn't that what SMI wanted a couple of years ago...but Formosa's contract was in the way?  Then...they went in with Formosa to try and partner together to make it work?

That was my understanding, too. Reading between the lines in the media coverage months ago, it sounded like SMI was ready  but had to wait and see how long Formosa would be around because his contract issues. It wouldn't surprise me if the fair board had a contract sitting on SMI's desk yesterday.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jamie Hall said:

That was my understanding, too. Reading between the lines in the media coverage months ago, it sounded like SMI was ready  but had to wait and see how long Formosa would be around because his contract issues. It wouldn't surprise me if the fair board had a contract sitting on SMI's desk yesterday.

And hopefully the city, SMI and Nashville Soccer Club can work together to make that a really special place.  That place would rock if there was an improved track with some NASCAR events (and maybe even a Cup race in the future)...MLS...and then add in retail and residential.  Could become a great part of the city.

1 hour ago, titanhog said:

Sounds to me like they're making room for SMI to take over.  Wasn't that what SMI wanted a couple of years ago...but Formosa's contract was in the way?  Then...they went in with Formosa to try and partner together to make it work?

from what I have heard (not verified), SMI has not been making good traction with the city, ie they expect city funds to cover all track upgrades. Again, this is not verified. 

• Sad 1

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/2019/11/12/nashville-fairgrounds-ends-contract-racetrack-operator-formosa-productions-tony-clair-formosa/2575673001/

From this, it sounds like SMI has been actively undermining the current contract and hurting Metro by telling the Formosas not to book events.  That’s a bad look.  Along with them previously wanting Metro to pay $60M+ to upgrade the track for them, they don’t sound like a super swell partner...

• Sad 1

On 11/12/2019 at 9:00 AM, VSRJ said:

I'm not sure what's replacing it, but I hope the facade is updated so that it matches Orange Theory — right now the contrast between the two is very jarring.

It will be interesting to see how the old CVS strip center does. I know Chase is opening a location there, but of course there will be lots of other bays to fill. And the other strip center planned for the stretch from the (now closed) Little Caesar's to (also now closed) Bolton's will also need tenants. I guess the market can support it?

Looks like the Captain D's lot will be occupied by a Fifth Third Bank: https://www.berryhilltn.org/DocumentCenter/View/358/2307-8th-Ave-S---Alt-Plan-Application

I had heard this was going to be a Starbucks and now am very sad to hear it's another bank. ha

26 minutes ago, Edgehill resident said:

I had heard this was going to be a Starbucks and now am very sad to hear it's another bank. ha

So did I... But living right across the street, it's probably best for my bank account that it's not a Starbucks.

Edited by VSRJ
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, VSRJ said:

So did I... But living right across the street, it's probably best for my bank account that it's not a Starbucks.

The biggest bummer to me is that it is another drive thru. It seemed like there was some potential movement to make Franklin Pike more pedestrian friendly, but a street with all of these drive thru businesses (and many others with significant setbacks and parking in front) is never really going to be pedestrian-friendly. If we could only go the way of Minneapolis...

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, 12Mouth said:

The biggest bummer to me is that it is another drive thru. It seemed like there was some potential movement to make Franklin Pike more pedestrian friendly, but a street with all of these drive thru businesses (and many others with significant setbacks and parking in front) is never really going to be pedestrian-friendly. If we could only go the way of Minneapolis...

I avoid drive-thru lanes like the plague. They almost always crawl, and in some places once you're in line, you're committed (see Wendy's on Thompson Lane). But I guess I'm in the minority because I also don't like relying on delivery — it takes too long and is too unreliable. Just call me old-fashioned.

• Like 3

Good question. I've seen it in Paul's  drone photos from above the fairgrounds and wondered if it was Illume at first. Then I realized Illume is past the 'green' stage. And it's on the other (west) side of 8th from this one.  Taking a stab at the location, I thought it was at South Street and 8th, but I didn't find anything in Smeag's map at the time. So maybe my location is way off (farther south down 8th?).  You took this looking west across I-65, right? 

This is @PaulChinetti photo from last month. If you blow it up, you can spot it in background left. BTW: Paul, I love these drone shots and this angle is my favorite. I think over time, the changes in this view will be dramatic. 

TheFairgrounds_10_15_1.jpg.d69ffa9904e4671fc6d4a47b7aaab5aa.jpg

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Salbato said:

What's the green building off 8th? Taken from Fort Negley. Hope y'all like the electric pole and wires I was able to capture too haha

That is Olympic One (5 stories, 50 units) on Olympic St,. i/4 block west of 8th Ave. South. The same developers have plans for an office building (probably 5-6 stories, 100,000 sq. ft.) on the same block, and I believe, another residential project quite close as well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2