Waterleaf at Antioch Apartments

Waterleaf-at-Antioch-Apartments.jpg.9330e8c8031a0b97158f746c4995c230.jpg

- 2901 Old Franklin Road
- 364-unit Class A residential project
- set to be delivered in spring 2021
- Graycliff Capital Development
- $39.1 million construction loan from CIBC
- 18-acre development site
- plans call for eight three-story and two four-story residential buildings with studios and one- to three-bedroom units, ranging between 612 and 1,243 square feet
- The project also features four carriage house residential buildings with attached parking. Amenities at the upcoming community are set to include a fitness center, an outdoor cabana with fireplace, a swimming pool, a dog spa, a clubhouse, electric vehicle charging stations and a cafe with coworking space

Just getting started...

20200405_153248.thumb.jpg.84be63550f376d242db993e204a3d11b.jpg

20200405_153212.thumb.jpg.760dc457eb28574a7b89feb56fbe4290.jpg

• Like 2

Too bad John Eakin is developing the office component. A few very nice looking office buildings on that ridge with some nice architectural detail would be a nice welcome 'gate' to Nashville from the SE.  But he'll build a short stubby box there like usual. The building already there is simply hideous. Fortunately, there will be a lot of fast food joints surrounding that one. :tw_tounge_wink:

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Too bad John Eakin is developing the office component. A few very nice looking office buildings on that ridge with some nice architectural detail would be a nice welcome 'gate' to Nashville from the SE.  But he'll build a short stubby box there like usual. The building already there is simply hideous. Fortunately, there will be a lot of fast food joints surrounding that one. :tw_tounge_wink:

Currently, the only office building in Century Farms is the CHS building, which is brick, and there will not be any fast food restaurants near it. The space just to the right of the existing building is reserved for a second (CHS) building

FYI, Eakin has been encouraged to 'think bigger' because his first proposal was a couple of office buildings that were far less than the 10 story zoning that is in place

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

Good lord look at all that surface parking. I know it's cheaper but man what an eyesore and it just makes all the buildings seem like they are islands in a sea of asphalt.

Yeah, it's just grossly irresponsible, in my opinion.  These developers act like available land is just an infinite resource.  Obviously they're far from being alone in this style of development, but that doesn't make it excusable.  And just to preempt the inevitable, no, I'm not saying Antioch should look like downtown Nashville.  But they could've built two large centralized parking garages and probably cut down on the amount of land they have to use by two thirds, and also cut down  on the amount they had to spend to acquire the land, I would imagine.

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

Yeah, it's just grossly irresponsible, in my opinion.  These developers act like available land is just an infinite resource.  Obviously they're far from being alone in this style of development, but that doesn't make it excusable.  And just to preempt the inevitable, no, I'm not saying Antioch should look like downtown Nashville.  But they could've built two large centralized parking garages and probably cut down on the amount of land they have to use by two thirds, and also cut down  on the amount they had to spend to acquire the land, I would imagine.

I think I disagree with you on this one, BNA.

I assume that the two hypothetical parking garages you mention would not in fact be cheaper than the additional land required to create these oceanic parking lots - otherwise the developers probably would've gone with the garages in the first place.  That is, unless the previous landowner was only willing to sell the plot as one giant parcel, in which case the economics would once again point to sprawling parking instead of garages.

You're right that land isn't infinite, but parking lots aren't permanent, and the developers retain the option to convert some of that land to parking garages (or more retail/hotel/office/residential with incorporated parking garages) at any point in the future. 

And what was there under these parking lots before they were leveled and paved over? I'm not sure that an island in a sea of crop fields or whatever is all that preferable to an island in a sea of asphalt, from a practicality standpoint anyway. 

Bottom line, something like this would be way out of place in Nashville of course, but I don't fault the developers for choosing this model for this location if that's what they determined their present economic conditions could support. 

Edited by ruraljuror
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

I find myself agreeing with you @BnaBreaker and you @ruraljuror I don’t know how I feel about that haha. Two sides noooooo

Must be because I turned 37 today. It’s all the wisdom (and whiskey) coursing through me, haha! :yahoo:

Happy birthday man!  I am a 37 year old whiskey lover myself... so maybe I will crack open that bottle of Macallan and have a drink in your honor... yes I am using you as a convenient excuse!   Haha

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ruraljuror said:

I think I disagree with you on this one, BNA.

I assume that the two hypothetical parking garages you mention would not in fact be cheaper than the additional land required to create these oceanic parking lots - otherwise the developers probably would've gone with the garages in the first place.  That is, unless the previous landowner was only willing to sell the plot as one giant parcel, in which case the economics would once again point to sprawling parking instead of garages.

You're right that land isn't infinite, but parking lots aren't permanent, and the developers retain the option to convert some of that land to parking garages (or more retail/hotel/office/residential with incorporated parking garages) at any point in the future. 

And what was there under these parking lots before they were leveled and paved over? I'm not sure that an island in a sea of crop fields or whatever is all that preferable to an island in a sea of asphalt, from a practicality standpoint anyway. 

Bottom line, something like this would be way out of place in Nashville of course, but I don't fault the developers for choosing this model for this location if that's what they determined their present economic conditions could support. 

You always lay down a succinct logic based argument my friend, and I respect that immensely.  I usually find it hard to really disagree with any of the points you make, and I can say the same in this instance. 

You're right that if it was a one plot take it or leave it sort of transaction then that changes the equation significantly.  I don't know, I realize I am just being idealistic here, but I just wish that if we as a society aren't going to discourage this type of development, that we could, at the very least, stop incentivizing it.  I guess I can't in good conscience blame cash strapped developers for taking the economic approach.  I just wish that paving over every tree and field as far as the eye can see in order to meet arbitrary parking space minimums didn't represent "the economic approach."

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

I find myself agreeing with you @BnaBreaker and you @ruraljuror I don’t know how I feel about that haha. Two sides noooooo

Must be because I turned 37 today. It’s all the wisdom (and whiskey) coursing through me, haha! :yahoo:

Welcome to the 37 club!

• Like 1

On 4/8/2020 at 10:08 PM, BnaBreaker said:

You always lay down a succinct logic based argument my friend, and I respect that immensely.  I usually find it hard to really disagree with any of the points you make, and I can say the same in this instance. 

You're right that if it was a one plot take it or leave it sort of transaction then that changes the equation significantly.  I don't know, I realize I am just being idealistic here, but I just wish that if we as a society aren't going to discourage this type of development, that we could, at the very least, stop incentivizing it.  I guess I can't in good conscience blame cash strapped developers for taking the economic approach.  I just wish that paving over every tree and field as far as the eye can see in order to meet arbitrary parking space minimums didn't represent "the economic approach."

You raise a great point about how we're incentivizing these kinds of projects with below-cost transportation, infrastructure, and utilities support that play a big part in making this kind of project viable.  We're in complete agreement about that, and that's something we as a society should definitely address, which in turn would drastically change the economic models that currently make these kinds of developments possible.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the pics and welcome to the forum, yontu2!  : )

Thanks! I’ve visited this forum for years while living in Nashville, moving away for eight years, and moving back about three years ago.

I didn’t see the water tower anywhere on the lot. I wonder if it has gone to wherever the guitar scoreboard is being stored.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, markhollin said:

Welcome back to Smashville. 

In regards the the water tower, it is supposed to be erected again on the NW side of the property (the opposite corner) as a feature of the swimming pool.  These renderings show it:

Outpost Nashville, April 9, 2019, render 3.png

Outpost Nashville, April 9, 2019, render 2.png

Unfortunately, I heard the water tower is not happening. It had lead paint and would’ve cost a fortune to refinish. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3