Davidson Southeast: Antioch, Century Farms, East of Brentwood

smeagolsfree

On 12/8/2020 at 5:52 AM, markhollin said:

Looking WW from 8th Ave. South, 1/4 block south of Bradford Ave:

Fifth Third Bank, 8th Ave South, Nov 28, 2020, 2.jpeg

This is the side that should be facing 8th... I'm so underwhelmed by this design. But at least it's closer to the street than the Captain D's.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Fifth Third bank branches are perhaps the worst example of architecture in Nashville. We don't have them in Chattanooga, but every one I've seen around Nashville is hideos... and reminds me of the old thick-parapet with an overabundance of stucco style of the 1980s. Really unimpressive. 

• Like 1

Standard Assembly (Two 5 story buildings, 310 residential units, 13,000 sq. ft. of retail, interior garage) at 715 Merritt Ave. has landed a $47.3 million construction loan from Principal Life Insurance Co.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21144935/notes-planned-gulch-hotel-project-progresses

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/1/2020 at 3:09 PM, markhollin said:

A unique feature of the 4 story, 76,000 sq. ft. structure will be that the parking garage has an entrance to every floor, eliminating the need to walk through a lobby or use an elevator.

HA! I'm sure this is from the article, but calling that a unique feature of the development is a stretch. That is a great way to class up the description of "we are building a 4-story building with an attached 4-story parking structure".

On 11/30/2020 at 2:39 PM, markhollin said:

Standard Assembly, Nov 30, 2020, render.png

On 11/30/2020 at 3:37 PM, smeagolsfree said:

Well this is a step down from the previous version. My dead Grandmother could have designed those apartments...nothing special at all.

On 11/30/2020 at 4:09 PM, smeagolsfree said:

The design crack in not aimed as much at the architects as it is at the developers. They spent a lot more money than they needed to for two higher end architects that probably had some major design difffrences as I really do not see anything special from this colaberation.

They could have gone to the cheapest architect in town and probably gotten the same  thing based on what they want to spend on the design element of the project. They decided to cut cost, by eliminating half of the retail space and tons of money in construction cost.

Saying the architects fee is a reason for cutting costs is a preposterious claim. You said the same thing about One KVB using SOM for the design services and it just does not hold any water. So much of the design world is a percentage of construction costs, so if you want to blame cost cutting it wouldn't even be the developers fault as much as it is our booming market. Construction is going so gang busters that to actually get anything built you either have to wait, or pay a pretty mark up currently. I'm sure the EoA and MZA team is very proud of this design and from the sounds of the common area design competitions and the fact that it is targeting artist residents leads me to believe there is more than meets the eye on the project. 

From the look of that rendering we will be gettign brick all the way around, cantileveering balconies, great street level activation and a rather classic design style on a rather large development. Also, this is an artist representation of the development and every firm has a different way of presenting design. Just because it is not a photorealistic rendering that Tony spits out makes it any less impressive. From a design perspective i would go as far as saying there is about the same amount of intrigue here as there is for either Tony's new stacked box towers AND it was designed by local architects, not some Chicago based group that doesnt even have an office here.

*end rant*

On 12/5/2020 at 3:42 PM, BnaBreaker said:

Yikes... looks like an awkward teenager with braces and bad acne...

Apparently this architect thinks that putting windows in odd places counts as edgy and interesting design.  

Or they value natural light in stairwells which are typically forgotten spaces by developers... Just saying

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

Or they value natural light in stairwells which are typically forgotten spaces by developers... Just saying

Perhaps... but those two things aren't mutually exclusive.  They could value natural light in stairwells and design an awkward looking building.  

• Like 1

Ridgeview Apts. will be numerous 4 story buildings with 324 units on 16.5 acres at 1445 Eagleview Blvd. east of hickory Hollow Mall area.   HRP Residential is the developer, Humphreys and partners are architects, and Hardaway Construction is the contractor. 

Ridgeview Apts, Dec 12, 2020, render.png

This screen shot from Smeagolsfree's excellent development map shows the site highlighted in red at the center of the frame:

Ridgeview Apts, Dec 12, 2020, site map.png

• Like 2

On 12/12/2020 at 6:29 PM, markhollin said:

Ridgeview Apts. will be numerous 4 story buildings with 324 units on 16.5 acres at 1445 Eagleview Blvd. east of hickory Hollow Mall area.   HRP Residential is the developer, Humphreys and partners are architects, and Hardaway Construction is the contractor. 

Ridgeview Apts, Dec 12, 2020, render.png

This screen shot from Smeagolsfree's excellent development map shows the site highlighted in red at the center of the frame:

Ridgeview Apts, Dec 12, 2020, site map.png

I thought they were limiting the apartments being built in Antioch.  I guess that changed?