Davidson Southeast: Antioch, Century Farms, East of Brentwood

smeagolsfree

6 minutes ago, thenorthchannel said:

Ok, who do I email to show support for this?  Im probably one of the closer current residents to this property.    

I would email [email protected] in the future. Looks like this case was already decided, correct Smeagols? Neighborhood input is so important in these cases. When you get a rezoning notice I would shoot an email in support that day. The opposition to these projects is always well organized. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

Yeah I am confused why this was rejected? 

Because there was too much difference in the grading between the north and south side of the building?

If I’m reading this correctly, the appeal is for the second level of parking to be considered a basement level, allowing for them to build the seventh floor of residential and for the building to comply with the height restrictions. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Does anyone know what Belmont is doing at 12th and Wedgewood? I know the school of Medicine is going in on 14th/13th and Wedgewood but wasn't sure what all they had planned at the corner where the old gas station used to be, they have staked out some stuff and out up a couple of block columns.

Edited by tatom

1 hour ago, tatom said:

Does anyone know what Belmont is doing at 12th and Wedgewood? I know the school of Medicine is going in on 14th/13th and Wedgewood but wasn't sure what all they had planned at the corner where the old gas station used to be, they have staked out some stuff and out up a couple of block columns.

They have pulled an electrical permit where setting up an irrigation system is discussed, but no other permits look to be in the works for that address. My guess is that they are building a monument sign to identify the university at that important corner while they wait to build it out in a larger way. They may be planning to landscape the area as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, nashvylle said:

I think there was a rejection and now an appeal has been made. 

Correct.

1 hour ago, downtownresident said:

If I’m reading this correctly, the appeal is for the second level of parking to be considered a basement level, allowing for them to build the seventh floor of residential and for the building to comply with the height restrictions. 

This is a product of the planning department needing to abide by the written zoning law that 7 floors, up to 105'-0" tall can be built on this site, but the argument has become semantic in nature due to the definition and parameters of a "basement". According to the zoning laws this current design is not in compliance and should be rejected (and appealed). I would've thought the project team would go into their planning session with the variance in hand/applied for, but apparently they didn't or that is not how the planning office is operating. The appeals process is where they can discuss the variance for classifying the both floors of the garage as a basement due to the sharp grade drop. The notes on the document stipulate though that because the upper level of the garage is more than 6'-0" above the average grade plane (which has been apparently calculated at 506.45'). The current design has the upper level of the garage sitting at 510'-0" elevation which is above the 6'-0" threshold which means we are dealing with two level that they are trying to get classified as a basement. Some notes say that the lowest level of parking is within the definition of a Basement, but i must be reading it wrong, because I do not believe either level of the parking is considered a basement per the definition.

Variances are relatively easy to work through if we go through the proper channels. EOA is a very skilled firm and I am sure will find a way through the process. Unfortunately for developers though, there is a process that must be gone through. It's almost like you can't build beyond the limits of zoning without having to jump through some hoops.

If this project were to get cancelled, I think that is more of a stain on the developer not willing to put the effort in to make the project work. I bet if they decided the base zoning/variance process was too much they could go get an SP and work through things very easily that way.

23 hours ago, nashvylle said:

You have to be kidding me. We can't get out of our own way. If this project gets cancelled, that will be close to 1K units that could have been built, but weren't due to council and  planning. 

When 1K units aren't built, that makes the existing residential units in the city and specifically wedgewood-houston that more expensive, increasing the number of residents realizing they cannot afford to live here. 

Ironically, the members of SNAP could end up leaving wedgewood houston because they themselves are priced out. 

When the city blocks needed supply of units, those making the Area Median Income or more will be left wanting the housing stock currently used by those making less than Area Median Income... it's basic economics. Very frustrating. 

Let's go ahead and throw the developer into the responsible parties as well, because the developers are not clean in any mess. I presume the other units to get close to this 1K mark is the Merritt Mansion debacle and I wouldn't put the blame solely on the city. Sure, Colby Sledge (who I certainly have no issue criticizing) pulled his support of the SP, but he also apparently pulled it due to AJ Capitol's apparent inability to discuss affordable housing with the local organizations. Councilman Sledge is a panderer for votes, which is exactly why I feel like he has been too silent on the racetrack renovation. So while yes, he should've been more communicative with AJ Capital and supportive of housing, he is also looking out for the neighborhood in that people who SNAP and NOAH support have an opportunity to rent an apartment in the neighborhood. 

You look at other parts of the city where council members have got involved and it isn't even always about rent control council members are looking for. An SP up along W Trinity Lane was required to have 10% 3-bedroom apartments just so it is not unreasonable for families to live in such a building. That clearly isn't an unreasonable request of Councilwoman Toombs, but developers don't like three bedrooms because they are more money to build and they aren't as marketable.

The City currently isn't "blocking" any units, they are holding developers accountable for building within the parameters of the city. If the developer wants to challenge those parameters, you bet your sweet ass they need to jump through hoops and gain the approvals of the right folks to do what they want to. If they don't? Screw them, they clearly aren't being good urban developers. At that point it is not the city blocking housing units, it is the developer being greedy because they realized they spent too much money on land they can't get their ROI on. Basic understanding of the risk in real estate. Can be very frustrating AND expensive.

The biggest issue I have with your last comment is about the AMI. The current housing supply is occupied by established residents and they really aren't going anywhere. The concerns about affordability come into play when a developer comes and buys up those houses in order to build an apartment building, but the money they paid the established resident is not nearly enough for those residents to live in the apartment building, plus it is not the same community they have had for the past 15/20/30 years. Hence they are displaced, ie gentrification (part of it). There is plenty of housing for folks at or above the AMI, I am not concerned about them. It is the people that are below the AMI that are the concern. If we can't house them until 2040 (or so) when you supply economics model pays off, we have failed as a city/community. 

• Like 2

Thanks @Bos2Nashwell said. I agree with ~90% of your post.

If I am reading correctly, planning by default has to reject anything that does not comply to current zoning, but the appeals process is fairly easy to maneuver? If yes, then I am ok, as long as the appeals process is done quickly. 

WRT your last comment- there are two approaches to affordable housing: build more affordable housing, and build more fair market housing so rich renters don’t go after the current affordable supply. state law prohibits MIH, so we need to rely on private sector a lot in Nashville. 

The established residents making up the current WeHo housing supply face pressure to sell from three angles. 
1.) Apartment developers offering them $ to buy their lot 
2.) Individuals offering them $ to buy their lot
3.) Real estate taxes getting so high they have to sell

None of these situations are good for existing residents and overall affordability. Building as much fair market housing is part of the solution to keep the neighborhood affordable for existing residents. 

Almost all of the apartment developments in Wedgewood Houston are on vacant lots or on lots with industrial warehouses. That's great news and helps prevent #1 and #2 from happening, unless council members kill deals, or new zoning overlays limit new development to 3 stories, suffocating supply.

Instead of the flood of rich new residents being housed in lots with no existing housing, these renters are going to look at single family homes. The "build affordable housing or else!" idea has backfired. The developer walks, but the rich influx of residents just look elsewhere. Now your lot is more valuable, and #2 and #3 happen, even if you don't want to sell. 

1K units, even if fair market, would be the absolute best way to stabilize current prices. Potentially, the neighborhood could become overbuilt, and prices decrease slightly. Does this increase the supply of units below AMI? No, but it at least gives rich renters enough options to stay away from your current property. 

Germantown is a neighborhood which I think Wedgewood Houston could emulate. Apartment buildings are ~6 stories and don't shadow over the many single family homes that still remain.

While gentrification is still happening, could you imagine how much worse it would be if apartment buildings were limited to 3 stories, and a bunch of these developments were nixed because of an affordable housing requirement? 

Let's make Nashville the good mix between Texas build build build and Boston's character, context, and planning. I'm afraid Wedgewood Houston is currently making perfection the enemy of good, and supply ultimately is not being built on pace nearly with demand. 

Germantown, June 2, 2021, Martin B Cherry.png

Edited by nashvylle
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, geoephemera said:

The upper end of the lot at 476 Gray St/1231 Martin Street (Martin & Gray) was cleared last week. This image is looking down the alley behind the Packing Plant & along Gray Street. The old Jerry's Wrecker Service structure located on that parcel experience a recent fire.  It looks like they cleared the remaining structures at that parcel to open up more parking for construction crews, not to start work just yet.

Thanks for the heads up, geoephemera....and welcome to the forum!  : )

• Like 2

I have wondered what is next for the row of houses demolished on the 1600 block of Martin Street, but I haven't seen what may be coming next in that area. I was hoping they would build up close to the street, create an alley on the backside of the lots,  avoid roadside ditch parking like on the northwest corner of Martin & Moore, & add sidewalks. I'm hoping the neighborhood doesn't get problems like on Carvell Avenue or the roadside ditch parking along Martin Street. Martin has been too busy for vehicles sitting partially in the street, especially now that truck traffic keeps increasing to deliver materials to the bigger developments in Wedgewood Houston. That area could handle curbside parking spaces like at Hamilton + Martin or around the Finery, just not vehicles straddling the ditch & road.

The maps available with Metro seem to indicate that the house plans have already been determined. I know it is a smaller project & may be separate developers on each lot. Does anyone know more about what is being built there?

Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 1.26.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 1.38.42 PM.png

1 hour ago, geoephemera said:

I have wondered what is next for the row of houses demolished on the 1600 block of Martin Street, but I haven't seen what may be coming next in that area. I was hoping they would build up close to the street, create an alley on the backside of the lots,  avoid roadside ditch parking like on the northwest corner of Martin & Moore, & add sidewalks. I'm hoping the neighborhood doesn't get problems like on Carvell Avenue or the roadside ditch parking along Martin Street. Martin has been too busy for vehicles sitting partially in the street, especially now that truck traffic keeps increasing to deliver materials to the bigger developments in Wedgewood Houston. That area could handle curbside parking spaces like at Hamilton + Martin or around the Finery, just not vehicles straddling the ditch & road.

The maps available with Metro seem to indicate that the house plans have already been determined. I know it is a smaller project & may be separate developers on each lot. Does anyone know more about what is being built there?

Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 1.26.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 1.38.42 PM.png

I'll check with the guys that will be developing that project. They were planning on doing an alley and a denser development when they acquired the rest of the property a couple years ago, but I'm not sure if they've changed their plans or if the UDO affected things.  I want to say they wanted to do a run of row homes on the street and some stacked flats in the back. I know they tried to get the land below what you have labeled alley access, but the church was not wanting to sell. 

As far as curbside parking, I pushed heavily for it to get included in the UDO as a requirement. 

• Like 2

Alta Farms @ Cane Ridge (3 stories? 330 units) update: excavation underway.

Looking south from Old Franklin Rd. at Cane Ridge Parkway:

Alta Farms @ Cane Ridge, June 12, 2021, 1.jpeg

Looking south from Old Franklin Rd., 1/4 block east of Cane Ridge Rd:

Alta Farms @ Cane Ridge, June 12, 2021, 2.jpeg

Looking SE from Can Ridge Rd., 1/4 block south of Old Franklin Rd:

Alta Farms @ Cane Ridge, June 12, 2021, 3.jpeg

Looking east from Cane Ridge Rd., 1/2 block north of Blairfield Drive:

Alta Farms @ Cane Ridge, June 12, 2021, 4.jpeg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Two_wheels said:

At the last SNAP meeting the board mentioned that the developers were looking to start working with the community and soliciting input on it. 

Absolutely a big welcome to the forum. Always great to have another set of eyes & ears in WeHo letting us know what is going on. Make sure you check out the The Dave Luna Urban Planet Forum Meet-Up, Sat. July 3rd, 10 AM to noon, Copper Branch Restaurant in Downtown Library - Nashville - UrbanPlanet.org thread and join us at a meet up. There are several other members in your neighborhood on this forum too.

I always forget to extend this welcome to the new posters.

• Like 1