Davidson Southeast: Antioch, Century Farms, East of Brentwood

smeagolsfree

2 hours ago, East Side Urbanite said:

Again, WHY do we need a live music venue in this spot? Many of you are saying we can support more venues (which I don't fully agree with) but I'm not hearing WHY this spot (one of you did address that question, to be fair, saying it would "bridge the geographic gap" between the city's live music venues and the Franklin theater).  But the other posters seem to say "let's build, build, build." Why?

And, again, a boutique hotel there? Why. Somebody give me a good reason other than to "build, build, build." When you think of boutique hotels, what type locations to you mentally picture? On a hill off an interstate in a traffic-heavy suburb and not near many distinctive restaurants, cultural attractions, mountain, oceans, resorts, etc.? Do you sincerely WANT a boutique hotel there? Does a boutique hotel NEED to be there?

I agree with Mark that that once-beautiful hill is now ruined. So a development (in that respect) would not be a problem.

You could literally ask those “why” questions about any project in any part of town. There won’t be an objectively satisfactory answer if you’re against a project happening. The “why” for this project is that the developers sense that there is a need in the area for this project (Mark already elaborated the reasons) and they happen to have access to this piece of land instead of other land. And it makes sense that those with a financial stake in there not being more music venues would complain that there are too many of them to begin with, but ticket sales don’t lie. I mean, Jason Isbell played like 5 nights in a row at the Ryman last fall. If there’s that much demand in the city for concerts I think a modest 600 seat venue in a high population crossroads that is underserved by music venues could do ok. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, East Side Urbanite said:

The bottom line: Nashville is not at a stage at which we can build anything and everything and have that be a positive for our city. We probably need to be at 3 million MSA before that would be more doable (not that it would be ideal). We still have some limitations as a city and to not acknowledge those is a mistake. We are not a Denver yet. Let's be honest.

Oooo that intrigues me. What limitations do we start overcoming around 3 million that can't happen at our smaller populations?

2 hours ago, East Side Urbanite said:

I'm not so much opposed to the project specifically (if the development team pulls it off and it's nice, useful and successful, I will give the team full props) as I am opposed to projects that either 1. seemingly are located in less-than-ideal locations (due to access, geography, less-than-needed) and/or that could potentially limit the chances of similar projects happening in more suitable areas.

I disagree with Mark and those who seemingly are strongly in favor of this project. The mindset seems to be "build, build, build." Sorry if I'm insulting some of you and I don't mean to be. But I have to be honest. Put a live music venue in the general Brentwood area in a spot around which there is some hope of creating a true sense of place and space. THAT would be cool. This site will struggle to offer that sense of place and space. I realize this is the site the developers have and they want to it, but ... that doesn't mean it's ideal.

I just don't see, as some on this board do, seemingly 95 percent of proposed projects as being potentially needed, useful, attractive, suitable for their sites and/or unlikely to hurt potentially better projects in better sites. 

Nobody enjoys seeing change and quality growth more than I. But I could name at least 25 projects I was skeptical about (for various reasons) from the start (May Town Center, for example) and that have been announced since 2000. Most of those projects never happened (fortunately). Some did and I dislike. Some did and I actually find them attractive and useful (I was proved wrong, if you will).

The bottom line: Nashville is not at a stage at which we can build anything and everything and have that be a positive for our city. We probably need to be at 3 million MSA before that would be more doable (not that it would be ideal). We still have some limitations as a city and to not acknowledge those is a mistake. We are not a Denver yet. Let's be honest.

But I told Ron I will not post anymore about this topic (or any other) given I work for the Post and need to be "journalistically neutral" on such matters.

I enjoy the give and take. We might not agree but we try to be respectful.

I’m not pro-development in any and all circumstances, I just think this project seems like it would work well and I think some of the concerns are overblown. Now if the developers are a bunch of jokers and are set to run out of money and turn it into Palmer Mountain, by all means I don’t want them to build this. 

2 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

Oooo that intrigues me. What limitations do we start overcoming around 3 million that can't happen at our smaller populations?

I use the 3 million mark in a general sense. Most U.S. cities with at least 2.8 to 3 million MSA populations have all the "placemaking elements of note." Whereas many of those in the 1.5 million to 3 million range (including Austin, Charlotte and Nashville) have some placemaking deficiencies (i.e., lack of big-time mass transit, lack of building/people density, lack of a big-time airport, etc.)

I probably over simplified.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, East Side Urbanite said:

I use the 3 million mark in a general sense. Most U.S. cities with at least 2.8 to 3 million MSA populations have all the "placemaking elements of note." Whereas many of those in the 1.5 million to 3 million range (including Austin, Charlotte and Nashville) have some placemaking deficiencies (i.e., lack of big-time mass transit, lack of building/people density, lack of a big-time airport, etc.)

I probably over simplified.

I think I read somewhere that the Metropolitan region of Nashville's population would reach 3 million sometime around the year 2040. Given the topography of the area, there would have to be a lot more hilltops developed to reach that mark.  This development looks a bit eclectic and like East Side I'm a little iffy on the performance venue, but maybe with a little tweaking it might be doable.

If the economy can hold on that is......

2 hours ago, bnacincy said:

I think I read somewhere that the Metropolitan region of Nashville's population would reach 3 million sometime around the year 2040. Given the topography of the area, there would have to be a lot more hilltops developed to reach that mark.  This development looks a bit eclectic and like East Side I'm a little iffy on the performance venue, but maybe with a little tweaking it might be doable.

If the economy can hold on that is......

There's still tons of open space all over the metro that is not hilly.  Most of the metro's increase will be in the suburbs, in totality...with Williamson, Rutherford and Wilson leading the way.

Edited by titanhog
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

I agree, drive around and just notice all the empty lots or places that have a one story warehouse. Still TONS of places for infill. 

The one story warehouses have to go somewhere.....I'm thinking if Davidson County would ever make it to the 800,000 population mark without developing  the northwest part of the county then there will need to be some more infill development near downtown where a lot of those one story warehouses are.  Neely's Bend I think would be good choice for a warehouse/light industry park development for the simple reason that it is right below the main flight path for the airport which would hinder residential development. There is plenty of space there too.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, markhollin said:

An unknown project going in at 96 Thompson Lane (between Prescott Place and Hartford Dr).  Looks like some sort of residential cluster.

Looking west along Thompson Lane, 1/2 block west of Hartford Drive:

This is the project:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/20855322/residential-project-eyed-for-south-nashville

"Snyder wants to develop 34 townhomes and 18 condos, with the latter to be housed in a three-story building. He has enlisted Nashville-based Centric Architecture to handle design. A rendering is not yet available.

The project would be located at the address from which the LLC derives its name (see here courtesy of Google Maps) and sit on 3.02 acres.

Snyder bought the property in March 2016 for $475,000, according to Metro records.

“The goal of the project is to provide more obtainable housing, in terms of price, located within a certain reasonable distance from downtown,” Snyder said.

On this note, he said he hopes to keep most of the residences priced in the high $200,000s. A few residences will sell in the high $300,000, he added."

• Like 2

Jay Pennington, who opened Urban Grub in 12South in 2012, is planning a new restaurant at 2407 12th Ave. South in the former Katy K Designs 1 story structure.  It will likely focus on breakfast and lunch.  No name or final concept announced yet.

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/04/02/urban-grub-owner-moves-forward-on-another-12south.html

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/food-business/article/20999072/exkaty-ks-building-in-12south-set-for-restaurant

Screen Shot 2018-04-02 at 2.30.10 PM.png

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Flatrock said:

This is the project:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/20855322/residential-project-eyed-for-south-nashville

"Snyder wants to develop 34 townhomes and 18 condos, with the latter to be housed in a three-story building. He has enlisted Nashville-based Centric Architecture to handle design. A rendering is not yet available.

The project would be located at the address from which the LLC derives its name (see here courtesy of Google Maps) and sit on 3.02 acres.

Snyder bought the property in March 2016 for $475,000, according to Metro records.

“The goal of the project is to provide more obtainable housing, in terms of price, located within a certain reasonable distance from downtown,” Snyder said.

On this note, he said he hopes to keep most of the residences priced in the high $200,000s. A few residences will sell in the high $300,000, he added."

I think that's the project. I am trying to update the map some, but its very difficult with all of these smaller projects all over town. It actually takes  a lot of time to do that so I will do it as I can.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Americano Coffee Lounge is eyeing a summer opening for the cafe in Wedgewood-Houston's Houston Station with an address of 434 Houston St. It will have an exterior entrance just to the west of restaurant/bar Bastion.

The roughly 2,000-square-foot space should be built out by month’s end. It will offer a 1940s décor vibe with its furniture, accessories, lighting and color scheme.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/food-business/article/20999504/wedgewoodhouston-slated-for-caf

Screen Shot 2018-04-05 at 10.00.52 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-05 at 10.01.49 AM.png

• Like 3

WeHo Cottages development (14 two story homes) is going to get underway in May at the  NE corner of Merritt Ave. and Pillow St.,  with a September finish planned. It was originally to be built in 2016, but an ownership change delayed the start. At that time it was going to be called Pillow Street Cottages.

More info behind the Nashville Post paywall:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/20999675/notes-weho-project-start-ready-after-delay

Screen Shot 2018-04-05 at 2.08.47 PM.png

The site is the brown lot in the center of this frame:

Screen Shot 2018-04-05 at 2.12.46 PM.png

• Like 1