smeagolsfree

The Gulch Projects

2609 posts in this topic

All projects related ot the Gulch, north and south

Any news on when the large apartment tower will start? My partner and I recently discovered Casablanca Coffee!!!!!! Love The Gulch!

That would be Ray Henslers tower and it should start sometime early next year, either January or first part of February according to what I can find out.

Casablanca is great too. We have been meeting there for about three years for the forum meets.

Love the Turnip Truck too, but a bit expensive. We "discovered" the Gulch by mistake when we first got to town!

Looks as if demo work has started at the Fairfield site on Division. There was some activity on it yesterday. Should see the buildings come down soon.

Fairfield will be LEED certified, according to construction docs I found online.  If anyone wants a link, PM me.  They are password protected so I don't want to post here.

^^Was there ever a rendering or a rendered elevation for the Fairfield posted here?  What are the materials? 

The project will be up to the street and a small parking deck in the rear of the property. Total rooms 126. I suppose the height will be around 85 to 90 feet. Hard to read some of the docs.

Sometimes I wonder if the NBJ gets their news from us.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2012/12/vision-hospitality-begins-work-on.html

I would honestly be surprised if they didn't.  This is a collection of people with their ear to the ground and would be a great clearinghouse for someone looking for leads and tidbits of information to start a story from.  A forum concentrating on Philadelphia that I frequent is the known source of a few news stories for local media, and reporters have been known to PM users who may have a story for them.

Rendering of FFI & Suites to be on Nashville Post very shortly. I have seen and does not look bad. WW will post on site later in the day if I do not

Rendering is now up. Eh, at least it's parking and ugly industrial gone. Those are about the only positives to the design.

Rendering is now up. Eh, at least it's parking and ugly industrial gone. Those are about the only positives to the design.

Could be better, for sure. Could be a lot worse, for damn sure. I like that it fronts the street and isn't surrounded by a parking island like a certain few Hampton Inns in the area. Overall, I don't think it should detract from the Gulch vibe. It will be clearly visible from the interstate...so hopefully the backside is at least on par with the front.

Here is the rendering for the FFI & Suites

FFISgulch.png

1 person likes this

I am okay with it. Looks like Icon does minus the changing colors. I like the gray tones. Should be a good addition to Division and will start to tie in 12th to 8th.

I don't think that it addressess the street very well.  Not that Division is the most pedestrian-used street at present anyway.  I am happy that there is no parking in the front.  But where, exactly, do you enter the building?  From the cubby under the Fairfield Inn sign in the center, or from the carport?  I'm disappointed that the actual door isn't more visible from the street.  That makes it look like a suburban strip hotel that is plopped on an urban parking lot.  This quality indicates that it is designed toward car-driving commuters who are marooned in town rather than for visitors who are spending a couple or three days in town who might want to walk across the street to Yazoo or to nightlife in the Gulch.

^^^yeah, they don't even show a sidewalk in the rendering. But it's early, so who knows.

Looks solid. Well-defined base, mid-section and cap. Kind of industrial with some metal elements. Signage is understated. I'm fine with it.

WW

Edited by East Side Urbanite

It looks "old style" modern mid-century, especially the metal frame inverted T windows.  Yes, I hope there is a sidewalk in front.

This company built a Hampton Inn in downtown chattanooga that is absolutely beautiful.  The lobby looks like a much higher brand of hotel.  They are also building four Hamptons in the suburbs of Chattanooga.

From the looks of that render, maybe the entrance is under the signage that says "Inn and Suites"?  Better than nothing, and like others have said, I'm glad the parking isn't in the front.  But I also want to know why there isn't even a sidewalk shown?