smeagolsfree

The Gulch Projects

2730 posts in this topic

But would you really want an architectural masterpiece crossing some railroad tracks? Or save those dollars for another project, like Fountains at Musica? (Maybe stix II hahaha!!!!)

1 person likes this

No, that is the bridge the city is willing to pay for, not what they can afford.  Now, it is certainly up for debate as to which approach (frugality vs. Splurging for quality) is better.  But you cant tell me that there are pennies available for a pedestrian bridge that is at least partially a vanity project, but not a few more pennies to actually make it something the city can be proud of.  If we are looking strictly at function, why not a chain link swinging bridge a la Rock City?  

Edited by BnaBreaker
4 people like this

6 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

No, that is the bridge the city is willing to pay for, not what they can afford.  Now, it is certainly up for debate as to which approach (frugality vs. Splurging for quality) is better.  But you cant tell me that there are pennies available for a pedestrian bridge that is at least partially a vanity project, but not a few more pennies to actually make it something the city can be proud of.  If we are looking strictly at function, why not a chain link swinging bridge a la Rock City?  

Because that wouldn't meet ADA and other code requirements. 

Serious though, what specifically defines the bridge that the city is willing to pay for vs what the city can afford? Keep in mind how things like this are paid for. The pedestrian bridge addresses various problems; just as the Division Street connector does (or any new street that provides access not previously needed). It's only a vanity project (IMO) when an extreme amount of money is spent over what is needed to provide the service initially needed. 

The golden question that no one wants to answer is "Why would Metro pay [insert amount] for a pedestrian bridge to link SoBro with expensive apartments/condos in the Gulch (when walking a block or so out of your way produces the same result) when there are still streets in Nashville without adequate sidewalks and other needed resources to promote safe pedestrian traffic?" When that question doesn't need to be asked we'll get the ArchDaily flavor of the month pedestrian bridge. 

Edited by arkitekte
2 people like this

I don't think the ped bridge is for residents of the Gulch. I think it's for the businesses there and the tourists who would patronize them; who are also staying in the convention center hotels. I think it was Dean's idea to link the two "happening" areas of downtown, and during his first term in office he probably thought it was a great idea to link them. Now that the area is built up so much and booming, lots of people wonder why it's needed in the first place. To someone in Madison... or Hermitage... or Antioch (et.al.) they're much less likely to distinguish between the Gulch and Sobro. And when you're a government body for the whole Metro (county), that's where it gets political.  Just my two cents. 

Edited by MLBrumby
2 people like this

1 hour ago, titanhog said:

Deal for high-profile Tennessean property falls through

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2017/03/06/exclusive-deal-for-high-profile-tennessean.html

Bids were due in October 2016. At present, no one is under contract to buy the land, according to multiple sources.

I'm really surprised nobody jumped at this opportunity.  That's too bad.  I suppose it's pretty much a matter of when, not if, it will sell, but it's still disappointing.  Not like there are any shortage of projects going on around it though I guess.

Hate hearing this about the Tennessean site.  Did this article explain the reason why it's not selling?  The Post said that Sterling Bay had it under contract but didn't close on it for some reason.  That sucks because it looks like SB does really good work.

My main concern is one that William W and myself have talked about numerous times. How many multi acre projects can we have proposed or under construction. The number here borders on something you would see  in Chicago or another large city. The fact we have multi acre sites is a blessing and a curse.

One City approx. 18 acres

MW Mutual Capital View approx. 15 acres

2nd and Demonbreun project approx. 2 to 3 acres

River North...... 110 acres.. give me a break

Lifeway Campus aka Nashville Yards approx. 15 acres

Demonbreun Hill approx. 5 acres

The old CC site approx. 2 to 3 acres

12th and Demonbreun almost a city block

Not to mention all the folks that want PSC metals gone which is 80 acres, so that is in my next lifetime.

5 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

My main concern is one that William W and myself have talked about numerous times. How many multi acre projects can we have proposed or under construction. The number here borders on something you would see  in Chicago or another large city. The fact we have multi acre sites is a blessing and a curse.

One City approx. 18 acres

MW Mutual Capital View approx. 15 acres

2nd and Demonbreun project approx. 2 to 3 acres

River North...... 110 acres.. give me a break

Lifeway Campus aka Nashville Yards approx. 15 acres

Demonbreun Hill approx. 5 acres

The old CC site approx. 2 to 3 acres

12th and Demonbreun almost a city block

Not to mention all the folks that want PSC metals gone which is 80 acres, so that is in my next lifetime.

I'm hopeful nothing stands in the way of 5th & Broadway getting built soon.  The rest I would imagine will happen slowly over time (Nashville Yards, Capital View)...or will wait until the current apartments built are filled.

Of those mentioned above, One City, Capital View are both under construction. I think Nashville Yards has a good shot of starting soon as the old CC. The River North project has a longgggggg way to go as it has taken them 20 years just to get the land, so they have a long term plan. That will start a very long process after the infrastructure work starts presumably later this year.

All of these projects are competing for the same retailers, office tenants, and condo and apartment tenants based on the price they would need to ask.

1 person likes this

Cantina Laredo has shuttered as of this morning.

5 hours ago, RonCamp said:

Just from walking by it, or is there an article somewhere?

Cantina Laredo seemed to have done no updating to the space since it opened. They really didn't stand out.

1 hour ago, VSRJ said:

My one and only experience with them, I walked in there on a Saturday afternoon to get a bloody mary with a buddy. We sat there for at least 15 minutes and not one bar tender bothered to serve us. And it wasn't just us. When we left, not one person sitting over there was attended to.  

I bet the landlord wanted more money to renew their lease.

7 hours ago, RonCamp said:

Really a shame since they were one of the first restaurants as part of the Gulch revitalization. Hopefully that spot doesn't sit empty very long -- my guess is that it'll be filled by a trendy Bar Louie-type chain. Just a hunch.

I always heard mixed things about it. I get tired of the "upscale" Mexican places here that charge a lot for subpar food (and don't offer free chips and salsa).

1 person likes this

I can't recall a single instance where I heard someone talk about eating at Cantina Laredo.