smeagolsfree

The Gulch Projects

LOL... Nissan Cube!  I think those things look like microwave ovens on wheels. I have a corny joke whenever I see one on a road and one of my kids is with me. "Get a bag of microwave popcorn." Sorry... pun was intended. And they come in the gawdawfullest colors too. 

Keep in mind, the Asurion building is going up on just the next block north (opposite side of B'way viaduct). 

• Like 2

Just so you folks are aware, there IS a thread for this building.  My rule of thumb: if it is 10 stories or higher, it deserves it's own thread.

• Like 4

Hmmm still not sure. I guess the positive side IMO is that it is filling an empty lot and adding more infill.  At least they are keeping up with the theme of Nashville buildings. 

1 hour ago, titanhog said:

Boob Box.jpg

Haha it took me a minute, then I noticed the handle!

• Like 2

It looks like there's ground work and demolition happening at the building next to the chocolate factory and the Pine Street garage entrance. Any word on what this will be?

3 minutes ago, DoermanPhoto said:

It looks like there's ground work and demolition happening at the building next to the chocolate factory and the Pine Street garage entrance. Any word on what this will be?

They've been at it for maybe 6 weeks, there's a grease trap installed at the corner of Overton and Mansion so seems reasonable to expect some form of restaurant space at that end.

That is a market street building and I know what one of the tenants will be there but unsure of the other one.

When the time is right it will be shared on the Post.

I saw that the Knoxville restaurant Stock and Barrel is going to be adding a location into the Gulch. I don't think it is the above referenced location though. Can't wait for that place to be open though. I always loved going there in Knoxville. 

1 hour ago, wreynol4 said:

What's the deal with the supposed W hotel?  Any movement there?  None of my sources don't seem to know anything,  my main one because he is just 3 weeks old and can't talk... :)

Will.jpg

Wow at the hair on that kid for only being 3 weeks old! Stylish! My daughter is 5 months and is still primarily cue balling it. 

1 hour ago, wreynol4 said:

What's the deal with the supposed W hotel?  Any movement there?  None of my sources don't seem to know anything,  my main one because he is just 3 weeks old and can't talk... :)

Will.jpg

Can't talk my butt!!  I think he's just withholding information... i see that look in his eye!! ;)

10 hours ago, wreynol4 said:

Will.jpg

We are hearing very soon, according to a source that has detailed knowledge of the project. Looks like he can apply for the GM of the hotel at the rate he is growing. 

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, SumnerCountian said:

Did the Gultch Bridge project die in the middle of the night and no one told us? I just have not seen anything on it in a while.

I think the land acquisition process is just moving along at a snail's pace, but last I heard it was still on.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BnaBreaker said:

I think the land acquisition process is just moving along at a snail's pace, but last I heard it was still on.

Thank you for your reply.

• Like 1

It is still moving forward but the problems are on the Gulch side of the track from what I am hearing.

• Like 2

I wish they would get the thing going, it's going to be an awesome catalyst on both sides of the tracks. If it's the property owners holding it up, they're shooting themselves in the foot. Any chance it's related to this: https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21007853/cummins-stationarea-could-see-landuse-plan

• Like 3

More on the Gulch pedestrian bridge from today's online NBJ:  https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/06/18/the-proposedgulch-sobro-pedestrian-bridge-is-still.html

A core issue at that time remains the pivotal one today: Metro has yet to obtain permission to cross the railroad tracks, which are owned by CSX Corp. (Nasdaq: CSX). Formally, Metro would compensate CSX for those rights and negotiate terms of an easement, dictating how high the bridge would be and precisely where it would span the tracks.

"The plan for the pedestrian bridge is in place and Public Works is moving forward," Judith Byrd, Briley's spokeswoman, said in an emailed statement.

• Like 1

A couple of things...

1.  Don't you think getting approval from CSX should have been the very first thing you did before spending money on design, etc?

2. I hate that we basically have to have a prison-like fence 10-feet tall to build something across railroad tracks.  Looks tacky and takes away from the beauty of design....and from the sightseeing aspect.

17 minutes ago, titanhog said:

2. I hate that we basically have to have a prison-like fence 10-feet tall to build something across railroad tracks.  Looks tacky and takes away from the beauty of design....and from the sightseeing aspect.

Agreed... but if the fence has to be there, PLEASE tell me that it doesn't have to be a chain link fence.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, titanhog said:

1.  Don't you think getting approval from CSX should have been the very first thing you did before spending money on design, etc?

I would guess the problem isn't exactly getting approval from CSX so much as negotiation of the price for that approval. The railroad is in the driver's seat here, as always. They allow crossings of their property at their leisure and Metro has no power of condemnation over them.

It's also worth noting that the exact location and configuration of this bridge has changed several times since its conception. Every time it does, that means the easement over CSX property changes as well.

As an aside, I am sure Zach Liff has not exactly been cooperative in this process, either. You may note the faint outlines of high-rise buildings in the rendering of the pedestrian plaza on the Cummins Station landing. He has big plans for his property in that area, I'm positive.

• Like 2